Why do some amps go up for sale frequently

thanks rick, I have even compared my CD setup with big bucks stuff and could not hear significant improvement so I am happy with "my sound"...for now at least.

consider DHT PP when you go for the next amp, I cannot believe how great mine sound!

tony

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/23/2004 10:02:46 AM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:54:38 PM smilin wrote:

OOHHH Deano, here ya go again, whatcha gonna reco now, wait, can I guess, Craigs VRD's, right, nah, Im waiting for him to make me 100 watters like he promised in January
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif"> hes just too backed up, yaknow I need at least 50 watts in triode, if I can't get that SET magic Im getting right now...You should check these things out sometime, you have an open invite in chi-town if ya ever get in the area. BTW it is actually VERY nice
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif"> just wish the Klipsch were 104db like yours, than believe me, your khorns would really rock with only 12.5 watts, 3.5 I just dunno, bat as soon as my BEZ 2a3 gets here from the slow boat from china, I will let you know
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/12.gif">

----------------

I really do not remember promising anything. Discussing yes promise ? Besides I really do not see the need or market for 100 watt amps with Klipsch Heritage speakers. If your dead set on it put the cash up and I'll order custom transformers but you better be sitting down when you get the price
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

Craig

----------------

Craig, maybe you had a bit too much to drink2.gif but you did in fact say right to me that as soon as you get your custom amps finished you WANTED to make me a set of 100 watters cause in your words, not mine"steve, 60 watts just will never be enough to satisfy you, as soon as I get a chance I will make you 100 watters"Or was I to drunk at the time11.gif I remember VERY clearly. I know has lot has changed since than, cause the $$$$ got to be much more....I do not want to print what you offered to sell me your 60 watters for. Love ya baby16.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hummos and baba ganoush go well with PITA2.gif and many other mediteranian dishes too, even some kabobs and TUBE steaks6.gif BTW what does MSRP stand for, is it MRS. Paul, yeah, maybe even fishsticks too12.gif BTW deano, how bout new crossovers for my corns? Their beggining to itch me11.gif

----------------

On 7/23/2004 9:37:47 PM sunnysal wrote:

dean and flynn have nailed the issues very well, I have said it before (and now I will say it again).

anyone who tells you what is right or wrong in audio is either of limited intellectual capacity or just plain trolling.

there are so many possible combinations of environment and equipment that nothing can (or should) be ruled out as a viable component in the musical reproduction chain.

"my sound" as dean says it IS the key. for me "my sound" includes horns. in some peoples eyes that already is a wrong decision. anyone here with horn speakers is considered "wrong" by people out there. so we should watch it when we tell other's that there choices are wrong...anyone listening? I doubt it.

SET, PP, SS ARE ALL VALID CHOICES TO GET "OUR SOUND" ANYONE LISTENING? I DOUBT IT. how frustrating I find it to discover the board ruled lately by supposed know-it-alls who build their self image by denigrating other people's taste and choices.

do research, audition and enjoy "your sound" in the end "their sound" will not be as fulfilling.

warm regards, tony

----------------

Well Tony you've hit the same nail that I posted. Though I posted that people shoulde be adults and allow for anyone's taste no matter what.

The Forum has become a bickering point of trolling and those consistently putting down other's equipment, or telling everybody what to use or listen to ( NO JAB at Allan - he has the attitude that is more open minded - so take no offense Allan) sitting back and laughing at those that continue to allow themselves to be baited.

If I get banned for this, no big deal, I can watch Parrots at the Pet store.

Again, go back and read my posts in this thread. I was contacted so I will modify one point - if asked for opinion it can be expressed in a tactful way regarding other's equipment.

For narrow minded people to tell others and rant on and on baiting normally logical human beings that certain equipment is not right is sheer stupidity. Why even respond.

If it's about equipment you own that they are denigrating, you have the last word. Ignore them and listen to your system. There are issues I have mentioned that desrve a discussion (my opinion), but everybody wants to try to be the one to win the anti-SET brigade over. And that brigade laughs and baits you.

For what it's worth Paul, Flynn it's the owners choice. If They enjoy it and like the sound that's all that matters. If they are happy with the listening levels - that's all that matters. SET, PP, Hybrid, SS, Digital, transistor radio - it's up to the owner. And the owner doesn't need to come to a Forum and defend their choice or defend their equipment to those arrogant enough to put it down. Well maybe those that do not like your equipment should start hammering - see how you like it. No-one that I know of appointed anyone equipment God, Deity use your own word or lack therein.

The last I knew, this is a Free Country and yes I know the First Amendment right to speak. There is a difference between speaking and pushing your own agenda.

People have a right to own and enjoy what they wish. If they become dissatisfied, they can figure out what the cause and do what is necessary to bring it to what they want. It's gone beyond theory - you can make a case for anything. But don't try to step into another's shoes and tell them what is "right." It's your opinion and in anyone elses life and decision of what to own - it doesn't mean diddly.

dodger

Opinions - we can have differing opinions, but tht's all they are no matter what if the owner is happy. Irritating to some.

----------------

On 7/24/2004 11:21:38 AM paulparrot wrote:

LOL! How many straw man arguments can you cram into one post?

----------------

As many as it takes to get people to understand that they are being baited and for others to understand who's right it is to decide eqipment.

Your start with LOL is a perfect example of what I stated in that post.

This is my last post about this, you've proven yourself strawman.

When you can't accept a point and you have to try to continue, you use condescding humour. A tactic losing Attorneys and those that are guilty use when the guilty verdict comes in. You cannot defeat me, nor change me to any of your way of thinking on this. Some more humour, condescension? Or perhaps an attack.

Whatever, you are not worth any more words.

dodger

MSRP = "Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price" I believe.

Smilin,

Speaking of crossovers:

Al emailed me a few weeks ago and asked if I would be interested in building the Cornwall ALK under license. Naturally, I jumped all over that one. They are rather expensive, but for anyone looking for something a little more advanced in design -- the option is again available.

Al quit offering/building them because he was having some trouble justifiying $550 for a set of crossovers for speakers people were typically picking up for around $800. Al is encouraging me to come up with something that can be sold for less money without impacting the overall performance. The first thing that came to mind was dropping some electrolytics into the LF section. The second thing that came to mind was dropping the Hovland in favor of the Auricap or Kimber. Al won't let me compromise on the HF inductors, so they will remain Litz. I'm getting ready to build the normal version for a customer when the parts come in, and after that -- I'll be building a set of the lower cost version to send to Al for testing. This version is pending until Al approves it.

The Cornwall is a bit of a different animal than the Belle Klipsch, LaScala or Klipschorn, and I think if there is one speaker in the lineup that could use a little bit of extra help -- it would be the Cornwall.

All,

At some point I will be looking for some Cornwall owners to compare my cost no object Type Bs to the more affordable ALKs. Current users of the Cornwall ALK are of special interest to me. Email me if you're interested.

As far as the whole crossover thing in general goes -- it can be a little frustrating. Combine what someone has predetermined in their own mind to be the best "solution", with ears that have a predisposition to preferring certain sonic attributes over others, throw in the issue of variations in sensitivity to different types of distortion, and then variations in the 'in room' frequency response...uhg. Let's see...Oh...then we have things that defy conventional wisdom -- like SET users preferring the Type A over all others. Hey, don't ask me, because it makes about ZERO sense in my book.

Since I don't possess high level technical knowledge, I'm forced to extrapolate information from a wide range of sources, and use the best guess method and a lot of gut checks (very scientific:). I still think SET and zero feedback push-pull users should be chasing benign impedence curves (ALKs), and those using amplifiers with moderate to high feedback tube push-pull or solid state have a wide open field -- the A, AA, or any of the good later networks (AL-3/AK-3, AL-4/AK-4, ALKs or ESNs). Obviously, those in love with the vintage stock sound of their older Heritage speakers should carefully think things through before making any kind of move to the later networks -- they may be the happiest by simply going with better parts quality. Hot Rodders and performance seekers should experiment. Hell, some of you spend more on freaking wire!

The Type preferred is purely subjective, but whatever Type chosen -- don't cheat on the parts quality. I still think the best formula for sonic bliss is replacing old or subpar parts with the best modern day equivalents there are.

----------------

On 7/24/2004 11:37:57 AM dodger wrote:

This is my last post about this, you've proven yourself strawman.

----------------

You should look up what a straw man argument is.

I don't think I'll take etiquette advice from anyone who laces his "let's all play nicey-nice" posts with insults.

Guest Anonymous

Dean,

Real good explanation reguarding the crossovers, and options, realizing nobody hears the same, yes, i am interested in talking to you about the options. Please email me when Al and yourself are done experimenting, than give me my options.

Thanks

Smilin3.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/24/2004 9:20:05 AM NOSValves wrote:

Steve,

You do have a way of exaggerating the truth Heh !! I believe this all took place before I learned that to do something for you means you have to be your Wet boy
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif"> Oh and I rarely drink until driven to it
6.gif

Craig

----------------

Craig, boy oh boy are you defensive, I love ya man1.gif but exaggeration for me is a thing of the past, if I can help it. I really do put my $$$$ where my mouth6.gif is. I have no ill feelings towards you OR your work, I am just really starting to understand this hobby, and have more fun with it. Lighten up and have some fun yourself9.gif you are one really over sensetive big guy3.gif Don't worry so much, be HAPPY16.gif and get back to work....heh heh heh

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:54:38 PM smilin wrote:

----------------

On 7/22/2004 10:33:03 PM DeanG wrote:

I think you screwed up by getting 12 watts, you should have went with 3.5 watts. The lower you go, the better it gets -- and before you know it, like magic -- you'll never care about SPL again. Who are you kidding? It's probably so freaking "sweet" you're falling asleep in your chair before the CDs over.
9.gif"

You are probably hearing some of the best SET there is, maybe you should sample some really good push-pull? Something with a sh!tload of power supply filtration, tube rectified, fixed bias, moderate feedback, massive iron, and great parts. Hmmm, let's see -- where can you get something like that?

----------------

OOHHH Deano, here ya go again, whatcha gonna reco now, wait, can I guess, Craigs VRD's, right, nah, Im waiting for him to make me 100 watters like he promised in January
11.gif
hes just too backed up, yaknow I need at least 50 watts in triode, if I can't get that SET magic Im getting right now...You should check these things out sometime, you have an open invite in chi-town if ya ever get in the area. BTW it is actually VERY nice
9.gif
just wish the Klipsch were 104db like yours, than believe me, your khorns would really rock with only 12.5 watts, 3.5 I just dunno, bat as soon as my BEZ 2a3 gets here from the slow boat from china, I will let you know
12.gif

----------------

Steve,

I seriously doubt you would need more that 60W ultralinear or 30W in triode, trust me. When I turn the volume halfway up with the line controls at 2/3 or so, it is close to a deafening volume level in my audio room which is about 24' X 40'.

----------------

On 7/25/2004 12:34:55 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

I am such an idiot; I forgot to list Jolida amps used for sale frequently as hard to understand as well.

Allot for sale on Audiogon right now.

Maybe they are all PP.

----------------

All of the Jolida integrated amps are PP from the JD102B up to and including the JD1000A. Real Jolida PP tube quality starts from the 302B upwards. The 102B and 202B are really just an introduction to tube sound. Jolida make a SET amp called the JD300B rated at 9 watts per channel.

----------------

On 7/24/2004 2:12:48 PM DeanG wrote:

I can't speak for Craig, but I can tell you this stuff is a lot more fun when your reputation isn't on the line with every build.

----------------

Yeah, but I think this is the case with every business venture, isn't it? What's a shame is being judged by how many (legitimate & acknowleged) mistakes one makes.