Free Blue Note Contest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary now has FIVE strikes.

Hint #1: One of the two final releases was held "in the can" because is was SO different from a hugely successful title from a Blue Note regular.

It was put out long after it was given a catalog number right at the end because Lion and Wolff thought it was a great record even if they didn't think it would sell.

Hint #2: The FIRST new release under the Liberty ownership is a Joe Henderson record.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!

Complete Communion, Blue Note 4226 was the highest catalog number released under Lion and Wolff.

We have a WINNER!

The OTHER record is Lee Morgan's "Search for a New Land" (BN 4169) which should have been released in 1964 but with the AMAZING success of "The Sidewinder" this VERY advanced hard-bop date was shelved in favor or more boogaloo Morgan records. I have always thought that this was a real shame--I wonder what direction Lee Morgan would have gone in had "The Sidewinder" not been such a huge seller . . .

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004GJVK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000BV210.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

----------------

On 7/20/2004 6:30:07 PM Allan Songer wrote:

DING DING DING DING DING!!!

Complete Communion, Blue Note 4226 was the highest catalog number released under Lion and Wolff.

We have a WINNER!

The OTHER record is Lee Morgan's "Search for a New Land" (BN 4169) which should have been released in 1964 but with the AMAZING success of "The Sidewinder" this VERY advanced hard-bop date was shelved in favor or more boogaloo Morgan records. I have always thought that this was a real shame--I wonder what direction Lee Morgan would have gone in had "The Sidewinder" not been such a huge seller . . .

----------------

Allan,

I wanted to guess something like The Shape of Jazz to Come by Ornette Coleman, or Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy. The Joe Henderson hint sent me far afield. I'm sure I'll have a hard time finding Complete Communion on vinyl, but Search for the New Land has been in my library and a favorite since the first time I played it decades ago. In fact, it's so often over looked in favor of Sidewinder.

A good quiz.

Klipsch out.