Free Blue Note Contest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone that's curious, here's a list of Blue Notes and their release dates. Wish I had a VG+ one of every one of em!!

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/bluenoteLabel.html

BTW, thanks Allan, that was an interesting test of peoples research capabilities, I know I liked it, even though it's 88 degrees with 90% humidity and there's no A/C here, I should have left an hour ago to go home, strip down and fall in the lake!!

Don Cherry, the only Don Cherry I know wears colourful suits and is the first period intermission guest on Saturday and Stanley Cup playoff hockey games on Hockey Night in Canada. He is a tad outspoken, but a Canadian idol. I'm was not aware he had an earlier career that was not based in Rochester with the Americans, or the Beantown Bruins. Who would have known?2.gif

Gifts, believe me, captivate both men and Gods, Jupiter himself was won over and appeased by gifts.

What was the question?

Seriously, Duke Pearson Sweet Honey Bee BN BLP 4252 appears to have been released at the very end of 1966, and Don Cherry Complete Communion BN BLP 4226 at the very end of 1965. (Blue Note Records Discography: 1965-1966)

Although Lion and Wolff both receive credits on Sweet Honey Bee, I'm guessing the final confirmation may be related to the label issued, perhaps someone should set the record straight online..??

Interesting trivia regardless.

The dates in the linked website above are RECORDING dates. The piece from "Primal Vinyl" is FULL of misinformation and if you want me to REALLY go into detail I can point out all of the MANY errors! The Pendorf info is generally correct but leaves out a lot of important information (well, important to us few loons, that is!).

But you can't even use CATALOG numbers to determine release dates, as I noted before Blue Note was very haphazard about the order in which they released LPs. A perfect example would be the two Kenny Burell LPs BN1597 and BN1598, Blue Lights vols 1 & 2 which were released a full TWO AND ONE HALF YEARS apart!

There are "Liberty" only pressings of some titles that SHOULD be originals if you take into account both recording date and catalog number--a perfect example is the great Andrew Hill record "Andrew!" (BN4203) which was RECORDED in 1964 and has a catalog number that puts its release date in mid 1965, but it was first released in JANUARY 1967 and exists only as a "Liberty" pressing!

The only way to really tell if a Blue Note is "original" is to look for the stamper numbers and other information in the dead wax. There are no known copies of ANY Blue Note after BN4226 without the tell-tale evidence of LIBERTY pressing plant origin. YOU CAN NOT judge an Blue Note to be "original" by looking at the label alone! Liberty spent the better part of mid to late 1966 USING UP the stuff on hand when they bought the label! There are "Lexington" pressings made by LIBERTY! I have owned MANY of these over the years--HUNDREDS in fact! Believe me, many of us have been looking at the stuff for YEARS (Larry Cohn being the prime detective) who have this stuff pretty much figured out! I know it doesn't really "matter," but it IS fascinating (to me at least).

interesting, too.

Fantasy Is Now Reality for Concord Records

Fri Jun 11, 2004 02:56 AM ET

By Tamara Conniff

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Jazz label Concord Records, home of Ray Charles, who died Thursday, has won the bidding war to acquire Fantasy Records in a deal worth about $90 million, sources said Thursday.

A final due diligence needs to be completed before the deal is officially closed. Concord, which is owned by television producer Norman Lear of "All in the Family" fame, beat out several other contenders, including Sony Music. Concord Records declined comment. Fantasy could not be reached at press time.

In February, Fantasy label chairman Saul Zaentz put the company up for sale. Its catalog includes recordings by such legendary acts as Chet Baker, Count Basie, Charlie Byrd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Sam Cooke, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, Isaac Hayes, John Lee Hooker, Etta James, Stan Kenton, Charlie Parker, Otis Redding and Lester Young.

Concord Records is also the home to such artists as Karrin Allyson, Michael Feinstein, Ozomatli and Peter Cincotti.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Concord Acquires Fantasy

Norman Lear-controlled jazz label Concord Records has won a bidding war to acquire film producer Saul Zaentz's Fantasy Records in a transaction said to be worth about $90 million. Fantasy's catalog includes recordings by artists ranging from Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk to John Lee Hooker and Creedence Clearwater Revival. (6/11)

----------------

On 7/20/2004 11:12:19 PM Are Friends Electric wrote:

interesting, too.

Fantasy Is Now Reality for Concord Records

Fri Jun 11, 2004 02:56 AM ET

By Tamara Conniff

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Jazz label Concord Records, home of Ray Charles, who died Thursday, has won the bidding war to acquire Fantasy Records in a deal worth about $90 million, sources said Thursday.

A final due diligence needs to be completed before the deal is officially closed. Concord, which is owned by television producer Norman Lear of "All in the Family" fame, beat out several other contenders, including Sony Music. Concord Records declined comment. Fantasy could not be reached at press time.

In February, Fantasy label chairman Saul Zaentz put the company up for sale. Its catalog includes recordings by such legendary acts as Chet Baker, Count Basie, Charlie Byrd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Sam Cooke, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, Isaac Hayes, John Lee Hooker, Etta James, Stan Kenton, Charlie Parker, Otis Redding and Lester Young.

Concord Records is also the home to such artists as Karrin Allyson, Michael Feinstein, Ozomatli and Peter Cincotti.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Concord Acquires Fantasy

Norman Lear-controlled jazz label Concord Records has won a bidding war to acquire film producer Saul Zaentz's Fantasy Records in a transaction said to be worth about $90 million. Fantasy's catalog includes recordings by artists ranging from Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk to John Lee Hooker and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

----------------

Maybe its time for me to drive into Berkeley and stop at Fantasy Records.

Klipsch out.