A confession

Ok, Ill say it, in my young and less informed days I made a mistake! I was looking for blues along the lines of the blues brothers and I bought a CD that looked good in the store. When I played it though, it wasnt what I was looking for so after less than the first cut, I filed it away in its case and forgot it for nearly 20 years!

With the purchase of the new preamp, I was going through my music and thought what the heck and threw the CD in the player and punched play. MY MY MY!!! WHAT I DISCARDED IN MY YOUTH!!!!!

Out from the speakers came some of the clearest, most awesome sounds that I have heard for a long time! The clarity, the depth, with my eyes closed, I was right there in the club, these guys were performing just for me! The attitude, the skill, the MUSIC!

The CD is, are you ready?

Joe Williams: nothin but the blues.

It was put out by DELOS and it is one of their digital master series. I believe the catalog number is D/CD 4001

It features Joe Williams (of course!) on vocals, Red Holloway-leader & tenor sax, Eddie Cleanhead Vinson-vocal & alto sax, Jack McDuff-organ & piano, Phil Upchurch-guitar, Ray Brown-bass, Gerryck King-drums

These guys bring the house down! With the exception of 2 cuts, this digitally mastered gem captures these guys in a full on improvising session, NO MUSIC ON PAPER, just 7 VERY talented guys, listening to each other and building on what each person has to say! I sat literally with my mouth open listening to what I HAD DISCARDED ALL THOSE YEARS AGO!

If you ever get the chance to buy a copy of this CD, DO IT, YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY!

If I have any complaint about the CD at all, it is that the lead vocals are recorded a little hot for me, he has a great voice and message and all, but I really want to hear the group!

I have the same experience with my collection.

I find myself going to albums that 20 years ago I thought "whats the big deal, theses guys are O.K". Now I hear what I had been missing. Guess it comes along with age. I am hopeing that the same thing happens in reguards to wife #2. 2.gif