Stacking KW-120-THX subs

rmlowz

I will be picking up the rest of the system tonight, it will be a week before it is all up and running.I am using a Parasound C2 and a Aragon 2007. I am on the way to the Stage One (late fall).I am also very curious about the subs, I have a Velodyne Digital Drive 15 now. I wanted a system for movies only and wanted everything to blend as the Klipsch system was designed, that is why I purchased the subs also. I have owned various Veoldyne subs over the years. I will be glad to post my opinion on the system when its all up and running.

RM,

You will get better, smoother bass if you put each sub in a different corner of the room. Stacking will excite all of the same room nodes because the subs are colocated. Different corners will excite different nodes from each sub and tend to smooth out response.

----------------

On 7/21/2004 5:07:03 PM John Albright wrote:

RM,

You will get better, smoother bass if you put each sub in a different corner of the room. Stacking will excite all of the same room nodes because the subs are colocated. Different corners will excite different nodes from each sub and tend to smooth out response.
----------------

That's not NECESSARILY the case. Properly placing dual subs is quite tricky. Stacking them in the same corner will have them acting as a single sub, w/ 3-6dB increased output.

Check out this link for more detail: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=33004&sessionID=1000EBA796BE457C827823A98CC9B0C3&pageNo=1&num=20

John

Hi

Putting subs in corners of the room will not smooth out the response in a room You will gain room dB by doing this and may also experience Boom General rule of thumb for subwoofers when trying to achieve a smooth response is placing them 1/3 in from each side wall

this is a general rule of thumb For a more acurate placement a room mode calculation/evaluation should be done

Cheers

I have contacted Klipsch directly, they said it is fine to stack the subs. THX spec is to put them side by side.In the manual it reads the usual, "put where it sounds the best". Klipsh also said put them together side by side or stacked. My screen will not be here till Wendsday and I will be working this weekend hooking it all up.I will post my opinion next week. The research that I have done shows that this system is raved about all across the nation.