Pulled the trigger today! SVS 20-39Plus on its way!!

troostj

We have very similar setups. The only difference is my Denon 4802 and RF35s. You will be very satisfied with the SVS. Once you get it setup, it would be interesting to see your receiver settings. I have mine crossed at 80Hz and all speakers set to "Small". Some will argue that the towers should be set to "Large", but this sub is very powerful and accurate down low.

Guys, do you run your RF-3s on small on your receiver? I have my rear and center on small and my RF-3s on large, but once I get my SVS sub, should I leave it on large or small?

Drew, I read that your still unsure, I would love to hear from more people out there!

Hey Guys, Just got my SVS sub! OMG thats all Im going to say.. I wish I had other subs to compare it to, but this is my first sub, Well actually at my parents house theres a lifestyle35 but that doesnt count..(Yes, if I knew what I know now) Anyways, I set my fronts to Large and the rest to small and the cross over at 80hz.. and it sounds great. I have the sub set at 2/5 of the power.. Its sooo overpowered. The first time I powered it up and ran thru the THX intro on T2, my eyes went blurry with the bass!!!!(i had it set at 3/5 on the sub) OMG.. is this bad for my health?

So, is this the way most people have it set? I was watching T2 and switched back from Large to Small on my mains.. and it definetly sounded better with the fronts speakers set at Large! I havent played around with the cross over .. Im getting my sound meter tomorrow.

3.gif

people with similar setups, let me hear how you have'm set up!

Take some time to properly calibrate it w/ the meter. Remember, the meter the meter will read the sub a couple of dBs lower than it really is. (For example if the meter reads 72dB it's really ~74dB).

Have you tried your speakers set small w/ music. This is where most people usually make their decision. (Most people are pickier w/ music than movies.) Try varying the cross-over and small/large setting. Once you get the sub properly calibrated it should blend to the point of not being to tell its on when playing music, until you turn it off and hear the low end drop out.

John

"is this bad for my health? "

I remember reading here some time ago about how the Germans, in WWII, had developed a major size sub that would roll out 5hz frequencies, causing those within its range to have intestinal issues. They could have achieved the same thing by dropping recipes for some of their traditional food dishes from airplans over the Allied forces' camps.

Troostj,

I prefer all speakers set to small and crossed over at 80Hz. I have been playing around with these settings lately and my opinion keeps changing. With certain music with lots of low end such as A Perfect Circle, I prefer my mains set to large with the sub mode set at THX-LFE. But then when listening to other CDs, I find myself switching it back to small.

So, right now I still trying to decided what works best overall. I think I am going to start playning with the crossover. Maybe set it at 60Hz with all speakers set to small. This way the Denon will allow the RF3s to extend a bit lower and have the SVS handle the dirty work.

As far as how I have it set up, the only thing I would do differently is set your ft speakers to small also. You are not giving the sub any bass signal from the l.f. and r.f. speakers. Your SVS is better at handling those frequencys than your floor standers. You can ease the load on your ft speakers and amp by letting your sub have all the .1 duties. Try it and see how you like it, you can allways change it back if you don't like it. That's the fun of tweeking. Carl