small speakers (home theater) vs floorstand

masterpp

i hear people say floorstand speakers are better than home theater system (small speakers like Bose Acoustimass 10) because they don't have good bass. Can anyone tell me why should i not get home theater system? I was planning to purchase Bose Acoustimass 10 for my new house because of more space.

floor standing speaker or bookshelves are almost full range: they can produce sound from 40 or 50 Hz to 20000Hz.

small sattelites can produce sound from 80 or 120 to 20000hz.they need to be matched with a sub.

so if you listen films there would be no probleme (sound under 80Hz cannot be localized) but for stereo music you will have a bass gap.

in a nut shell, buy some bookshelves and a sub if you miss some space or floorstanding speaker if you can.

Masterpp - Before buying the Bose system, be sure and give some Klipsch satellite/sub combinations a good audition, such as the Klipsch Synergy bookshelf/center/rear speakers. The smallest and least expensive of those are the SB-1/SC-.5/SS-.5/KSW-10 or 12 sub combo. They can be heard at (gulp/ugh) Best Buy (not the best forum for auditions, but perhaps you could take them home). Or you could step up to the Reference "small" speakers, the RSX/RCX series. While not as dimunitive as the Bose cubes, I believe they will deliver wonderful sound for you.

The Quintets are very good for movies, but as mentioned not quite as good for music. (Still blow the Blose...er...Bose away though.) Check them out @ Best Buy. If you like them and want to save a little money, I've got some I can sell you. I upgraded from them to my current system.

John

Frequency response from the perfect speaker (which does not exist) would be from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz which are the limits of normal human hearing. Bo$e cubes go from about 250 Hz to 8,000 Hz.

The Bo$e bass module is an inexpesive (for Bo$e, not the buyer) band pass system that goes from 200 Hz down to 50 or 60 Hz. When a subwoofer goes above 100 Hz it is easily located by the listener which is not good for movie viewing. The sound from movie scenes should usually come from the area of the screen and not the subwoofer in a corner.

The Bo$e sound is a low quality listening experience IMO.

Bill

the right choice of in-ceiling speaker can be an incredibly effective (and invisible) alternative to sattelites. If space is an issue, this may well be the way you want to head.

BTW - if you're having your room pre-wired, do it for 7 channels, not 5. You'll be glad you did later. 6.1 discrete surround is already a reality, and it won't be long before receivers and media start supporting 7.1 discrete as well.

bigger speakers are better almost 99% of the time. Only reason you would need or want small speakers is for size and afforabily. Howeve,r stay away from bose, they dont even come clsoe to competeing with other brands of small speakers. However, I run RSX's for my PC, they sound remarkable for thier size.

----------------

On 7/23/2004 8:53:42 AM dougdrake wrote:

Or you could step up to the Reference "small" speakers, the RSX/RCX series. While not as dimunitive as the Bose cubes, I believe they will deliver wonderful sound for you.

----------------

The new RSX-3 sats that are coming out (are they available now?), are really not muchc larger than the Bose dual-cubes as found on the AcousticMess 15s or the higher-end Life$tyle systems. However, paired with an RW-10 sub, they are far more superior in sound quality than any of the Bose AcoustiMess systems. Paired with a decent reciever, and they will blow away any of the Life$tyle systmes for only a fraction of the price. If space is truly a premium, I think the RSX-3 w/ RW-10 and a decent reciever will make for a complete setup that is small but very good sounding.

Of course, there is the in-wall/in-ceiling option. There seem to be some folks that have found excellent results with that. I would guess the Architecture section of this forum would also contain more info on that route.

Also to add, if space is not so much a premium/problem, then get the biggest speaker that you can fit or the wife is willing to put up with. Generallly, the bigger, the better, when it comes to sound quality, and this seems especially true with Klipsch product.

And lastly, the issue if floorstanders are generally better than small HT-style sats. Well, comparing something like the Bose cubes to something like my RF-7s would not be exactly fair. It would be like comparing a knife to a cannon 6.gif. What one do you think will do more damage?

here is what I found wrong with Acousticrap....

I was balancing my dad's speakers with sound meter....so I was using AVIA DVD...

When I was trying to balnce surrounds....the pink noise was coming from front...I was scratching head for while checked wires etc etc..

then light bulb went off...and I disconnected the bass crapule....and hooked surrounds direct...and walla.....the sound was coming from speakers.....

So....what happens is the bass module plays bass frequencies that are high enough your ears can distinguish they are comeing from the bass module....

We went to store and replaced acousticrap with a BW set of speakers...

we reset sound levels on his McIntosh amp (yeah I know McIntosh running bose) and he smiled....

We watched a few scenes from movies..and he noticed he could play with volume lower as he could actually hear the center and distinguish the actors talking now.....

My advice stay away from small speakers that cannot go way below 80hz....as the bass module will mess up the surrounds...