New RF-5 sounds weird

TJ255

I just upgraded to the RF-5 and the one speaker sounds muffled and weak during movies or music and you can really notice it when you listen to music in stereo. What is going on? Did I just receive a defective speaker? The nearest authorized dealer is three hours away. What do I need to do for service? Any suggestions would be great, I really don't want to take the speaker in but I don't know what could be the problem.

Thanks!

A few quick checks:

First thing I'd do is check the wiring from the amp: red to red and black to black. You could be out of phase. If not, I'd then switch the speaker cables (disconnect the cable from the left speaker and hook it to the right, and move the cable from the right speaker it to the left). If the other speakers sounds bad, then it could be your amp rather than the speaker. If the same speaker is still bad, then one more check. Play a CD and make sure your receiver's sound processors are off - just run straight 2 channel. I once was playing a 5 channel processor signal and only had 2 speakers hooked up. Needless to say, they sounded pretty poor.

If after all this the same speaker still sound's bad, you may have gotten a defect. Let us know what you find out.

The speakers are hooked up correctly and in phase - I did double check though. I also just got done switching the speakers around with the speaker wire and the bad speaker remained the "bad" speaker. It is like someone is talking with their hand over their mouth when you listen to it. I don't think the horn is working at all but it may be another issue. Any other ideas? Do I just call Klipsch for service? The authorized dealer I bought it from is 10 hours away ( I just moved for work and got myself a going away present) but there is a dealer 3 hours away. Do I just bring in the speaker to the closer dealer? Thanks for the help!!

Good idea checking the jumper wires but they are making good contact. The horn is completly dead. What is the next step? The dealer I bought from is 10 hours away but there is one three hours away. Can I just take it there? Do I have to ship the speaker somewhere and if so do I pay for shipping? Do I just call Klipsch? Thanks for all of the help and ideas!!

----------------

On 7/25/2004 10:05:33 AM TJ255 wrote:

Do I just call Klipsch for service? The authorized dealer I bought it from is 10 hours away

----------------

I think you should simply call Klipsch. They might simplify both trouble shooting it and returning it.

Here's one other thing you could try to determine where the problem is: Hook the speaker wires up to the OTHER inputs on the speaker w/ the jumper disabled. With the jumper gone you should get only either the highs or the lows/mids, depending on which set you hook up. If you can move the wires and get one or the other, but not both, it's something screwy w/ the jumper. If you can only get the lows/mids and get NOTHING on the other input, you're horn is not connected. This may be something Klipsch can talk you through over the phone.

John

You are going to do a lot of driving and fretting for nothing. I bet one of the leads just came off of the horn driver. The leads attach to spring loaded push downs, and it's very easy to imagine one popping off during shipping if it wasn't inserted all of the way.

Get yourself a Torx bit #20 and carefully remove the horn and inspect. It'll take five minutes and might save you a whole day on the road. No one at Klipsch is so small minded as to void your warranty because you decided to exercise some common sense.

----------------

On 7/25/2004 11:35:40 PM DeanG wrote:

You are going to do a lot of driving and fretting for nothing. I bet one of the leads just came off of the horn driver. The leads attach to spring loaded push downs, and it's very easy to imagine one popping off during shipping if it wasn't inserted all of the way.

Get yourself a Torx bit #20 and carefully remove the horn and inspect. It'll take five minutes and might save you a whole day on the road. No one at Klipsch is so small minded as to void your warranty because you decided to exercise some common sense.
----------------

I forgot the RF-5/7s are arranged so that you can pull the horns out that easily. That's the best thing to try by far.

Good Luck,

John

since your speakers are under warrenty, I would call klipsch bfore you open up the speaker. But i am pretty Darn sure as that the horn came unpluged. I had the same thing happen to my KLF-20's right after i bought them new, the midrange horn stopped working. OPened it up and it was unplugged. I was overseas at the time and was not going to deal with warrenty work.

Everything is working! I called Klipsch and they refered me to the company I bought the speakers from 10 hours away. Called Pacific Sound and they were great and were willing to get a new horn ordered right away but said open up the horn and check the leads first since you'll have to take it out anyway. Sure enough one of the leads was not attached. Hooked it back up and it is sounding great. I had to admit it made me laugh because how simple it was and how easily the lead can come off but everything is great now. Thanks to everyone for the help along the way!!