speakers for father-in-law

oldtimer

i am thinking about buying a pair of speakers for my father in law(Christmas present). This is a special case so I will explain the best I can. he is in his 80's and has started cranking up the two Rca baby boxes in order to hear and they are grating for everyone else. Two speakers are required(no sub, no center) and the room is 12X20 with a pass through counter to the kitchen and a hallway at the far corner of the rectangle. The outside walls are almost entirely windows(one 12' and one 20' side). The tv is crammed in the corner of the window side. So, I am in need of something with a small footprint that has accurate full range sound. The only possibility in the heritage line would be heresies. I have not heard much of the newer stuff, so I ask the collective wisdom of the forum for possible solutions given these constraints, plus the desire not to spend more than $400. These are for television use and he watches a rented dvd or tape at night. Thanks to all.

Heresy's would be a good choice. Although this is a Klipsch forum, I hope other would understand... I would recommend a pair of used Paradigm Mini Mk III's. These small foot print monitor speakers are no longer made but can be bought on the used market for around $200. Other than mega thousands dollar monitor speakers, Mini Mk III's are well regarded for their accuracy down to ~50H and were used by pros for recording studio monitor duties.

I have a pair of them in a same room as Heresy's. I don't think Heresy's are as accurate but do sound better to my ears being more sensitive but also bigger foot print and more $$$.

Ki

Hersey's would be nice, but there are other less expensive alternatives. For $137, onecall has a pair of NHT SuperOne's. This is a very nice little bookshelf speaker that will play loud enought for 80 year old ears to hear clearly and are efficient enough for a modest receiver to power. They are also unobtrusive if grandpa has a grandma around the house. NHT are nice speakers though I prefer horns to conventional speakers. If price and size aren't a concern, then go for the Hersey's.

----------------

On 7/24/2004 10:08:24 PM oldtimer wrote:

i am thinking about buying a pair of speakers for my father in law(Christmas present). This is a special case so I will explain the best I can. he is in his 80's and
has started cranking up the two Rca baby boxes in order to hear and they are grating for everyone else
. Two speakers are required(no sub, no center) and the room is 12X20 with a pass through counter to the kitchen and a hallway at the far corner of the rectangle. The outside walls are almost entirely windows(one 12' and one 20' side). The tv is crammed in the corner of the window side. So, I am in need of something with a small footprint that has accurate full range sound. The only possibility in the heritage line would be heresies. I have not heard much of the newer stuff, so I ask the collective wisdom of the forum for possible solutions given these constraints, plus the desire not to spend more than $400. These are for television use and he watches a rented dvd or tape at night. Thanks to all.
----------------

Have you considered headphones? He can listen to them as loud as he cares to and not disturb the rest of the family while getting some fairly decent sound. (Would he be insulted?)

David

Headphones would be perfect, but....it would be too awkward to be practical. My plan right now is to buy some heresies and figure out if they will work for size. I had no luck finding paradigm minis. the nht's were priced each and not by the pair. I also have a pair of mission 700's circa 1980 that need new woofer surrounds that should do the job if i can fix them and the heresies turn out to be too big, leaving me with a pair of heresies to use :).