how much improvement to add sub with k-horns?

jdm56

remember only FIVE more days6.gif . I think the longer you wait or have been with out something the more you'll like it. hope you enjoy your sub when you get.

note: just had to post here. not meaning to hijack original thread. 1.gif

scp53

----------------

On 7/25/2004 9:57:36 PM jdm56 wrote:

If any of y'all have done so, how audible an improvement does a good sub or two make with typical music? (not electronica and organ) More extended? Flatter, both? too much bass?...etc. Thanks!

----------------

That's somewhat a point of opinion, but I can't imagine any music not improving with the addition of a subwoofer, no matter what you use for mains. So, both. If by chance you have incredibly dynamic mains, then you will still improve by flattening your response with a dedicated, powered sub. I listen to all types of music (no organ yet) and a sub is a must for true reproduction. Too much bass? You can always turn the gain/volume down on the amp for desired level or use an EQ to flatten.

I have reference and they need it, but have heard Khorns without and with and yes it does make a difference. Understand, what I heard them with contributed too. A friend auditioned his with a Sunfire Signature and then a SVS P2B (not sure which one). Complementary is a word that came to mind. It did extend the bass of his horns noticeably and gave it a presence it didnt have before. Very interesting, both these Subs blended well with the Horns and after an hour or so of different styles of music and DVD soundtracks it was like, Damn,thats what it needed!I didnt know it needed it, but...Damn! Lots of clean, non boomy, bottom end......very cool!

I have two Velodyne Servo 15's that I run in conjuction with my Khorn's and they do make a big difference. I have them crossed over at 60Hz so that they don't roll into the Khorn's frequency range too much. The Khorn's do have nice bass response all on their own but the Velo's extend that range into the teens so I get the full spectrum with authority. The volume is set low on them (like between 3 to 4). However, I also have 4 Cornwalls in the rear so I have BASS!

True, the cornerhorns can do serious bass on their own, down to nearly 30hz. But in my room, to get this performance requires the futon to be practically against the back wall -- boundary effects! And this location makes it hard to do 5.1 surround the most effectively, and pretty much impossible to go 7.1, but when I move the futon out away from the wall, say on the cornerhorns axis, I basically lose all bass below 100hz or so. So I have two options: good k-horn bass but poor surround set-up; or, good surround set-up and two huge speakers that can't make any bass. (SVS to the rescue?) What's a poor audiophool to do?

Move the futon ahead, and try an unopened bundle of fibreglass insulation in each rear vertical corner, you could always return the insulation to the store. The loss of bass is from a cancellation, a subwoofer will not help in my opinion. An analogy would be like pouring water into a bucket with a big hole in it. It doesn't matter how much you put in, if you have a loss, you will never get it full.

Other speakers and even my cheap Optimus sub (from another set-up) WILL make bass in this room. Even if I sit out away from the back wall. I think it is just this particular room: it does not seem well suited to corner speaker placement. Which is a pretty sad situation with CORNERhorns!8.gif

So it looks like I either will have to forget 7.1 in this room, or do 7.1 letting the subs handle everything below 80-100hz...Or, plan C - sell the big, bad horns and get something more adaptable. I don't know that I could ever bring myself to do that, though. I'd probably never have k-horns again....ARRRRRRGH!!!

any direct radiating subwoofer used in conjuction with the khorns will just be introducing new distortions (2nd and 3rd harmonics). Many people find these distortions to be enjoyable and thus will enjoy adding a subwoofer to the khorns.

For movies and all that, I think a subwoofer would be beneficial as the .1 channel is recorded assuming that subwoofer is going to be used (which means they're expecting you to hear the harmonic distortion and all that crap). Also, it's easier to adjust the volume of a subwoofer to match your tastes than it is to adjust the volume of the bass bin in the khorn 2.gif

----------------

On 8/4/2004 9:52:34 PM DrWho wrote:

any direct radiating subwoofer used in conjuction with the khorns will just be introducing new distortions (2nd and 3rd harmonics).

----------------

Sounds like you been hanging around with artto... Oh, wait, you have... 2.gif9.gif

Given that bass frequencies are highly affected by room modes... adding a subwoofer often accentuates (good or bad depending on the room) these effects. Actually, just the fact that you are adding in an additional frequency range, you will be introducing the distortion associated with reproducing it.

But I don't feel this provides enough reason to filter out frequencies below 40 cycles from the recordings we buy. Full-range driver speakers take this even a step further by filtering out both the lowest and highest frequencies. While I can appreciate the concept / engineering behind this movement, the results are often underwhelming due to the limited frequency response.

As I've mentioned, a lot of the music I enjoy has content below the capacities of my Cornwall, and sounds better with my sub on. Obviously if you listen mostly to classic rock, this is less of a concern.

later...

Rob

who's cutting off the signal above 40Hz??? Imma strangle them! I love a good kick drum that resonates around 30Hz, fricken powerful that is and i love it.

I guess I would say not to add a sub to the khorns until you've done some acoustic treatment (if possible) and then listen to all your music and see if something is missing. If something is missing, then something is missing and you've gotta fill that void before you can truly enjoy something. I don't think adding a Promedia SWS sub is going to do the job though 2.gif

Adding a sub (current darling: SVS PB-2) IS on the agenda. It's just that my financial advisor says nay. So, it may be a year...or two.

Still, k-horn bass in my less than perfect room is mostly very satisfying, as long as I stay within a couple feet of the back wall.