Weekly Music Recommendatons by Member-July 26

thebes

Ok, we've been at this for a month now, and I hope your as pleased as me at the steady progress being made in building this little ongoing effort to feed the music machine.

I, for one, purchased six cd's this weekend that were recommended by members, and after listening to them for a few days I'll have a review for you.

Don't forget to tell your friends in the Forum what we're dong here.

Rules are simple: Name of Individual/Group, Title,type of

music as best you can (rock, classic etc.) and weather its's a cd, lp etc.

My offering for his week is:

Tom Waits "The Heart of Saturday Night" Cd.

This is perhaps his finest music. Poetic vingnettes of the working class invoke dark rainy nights, loneliness and desperation. Great music and the lyrics would just not be complete without that gravelly voice. If you own only one of his, make it this one.

Basic Channel/Rhythm & Sound-The Versions CD-Reggae/Dub from VERY influential minimal techno duo Basic Channel. Has what the British call "trouser-flapping" bass.

Scion-Arrange And Process Basic Channel Tracks CD-Basic Channel produced a series of 12"s in the early 90's that turned everyone for a loop. Their compositions were very minimal with only subtle changes. Because of the sparse instrumentation(most of the time only a drum machine and a bassline) the subtle changes are very noticeable and they sounded simply awesome on a huge club system. This was very different than the huge sounding techno records of the day. While everyone else was adding more and more BC stripped the tracks down to the bare-bones. Well 10 years down the road this Scion guy has taken snippets and loops of about 30 BC related tracks and used this killer software app called Ableton Live to transform these loops/snippets into a pretty comprehensive look at BC's carreer. Very hypnotic and will not be liked by Moby fans.

Gram Parsons-GP & Grievous Angel CD-I guess I've kinda been wanting a GP album for a while and this was part of Border's Rock Essentials picks that are now 25% off so I nabbed it. Pretty good rockin' country or countryish rock from the former Byrds/Flying Burrito Brother member. Plus he's dead and I usually like dead people.

As much as I hate to recomend Pat Methany albums(they just don't come anywhere near the live experience), His "Speaking of Now" album has really grown on me.

I guess If it had to be catagorized it should be as jazz. Although it's certanly not classic jazz.

Anyhow, great album!

m

SACDs I've purchased & listened to lately:

(Hybrid multi-channel)

George Harrison- Live In Japan_

Vivino Brothers- Blues Band_

Steely Dan- Gaucho_

(Hybrid Stereo)

David Bowie- Let's Dance_

Cowboy Junkies- Open_

(SACD Only)

The Dave Brubeck Quartet- Time Out_

These are excellent recordings, if they suit your taste.

SSH