HOW ARE THESE COMPARED TO THE MOONDOGS

RAPTORMAN

I hav a set of paramours with all of the upgrades and the meshplates, never heard moondogs, but I did research them, and the bottlehead extensivly. I went with the bottle heads because of the terrible reputation of the tech, service and parts for the moondogs. Before you buy the moondogs go to the tube asylum and post for others with the moondogs to explain the problem with Ron.It will be very hard to beat the cost and sound of the paramours.

Hi, Raptorman:

The Moondogs are very good SET amplifiers. I still own mine, and have repaired a few for others. Much of the quality, as is the case with the Paramour or any kit-built amplifier, depends on the ability and experience of the builder. The Moondogs are extremely durable in terms of construction, and use thick, solid brass chassis plates on which all the parts are mounted. Power and output transformers are from Electra-Print, which are very good quality. Also, Welborne Labs, unlike some other companies, uses among the best passive parts available. There are no inherent problems with the parts Welborne Labs uses. The 9 pin teflon socket, if you found a pair with the Teflon socket upgrade, can be problematic. I built my own amplifiers with that socket, and it can be kind of troublesome at times. I think I have those issues all worked out now, though.

If you have more specific questions about them, send me an email -- or post here -- whatever you prefer. I'll do my best to answer them.

Erik

"...internal dispute"? That's actually not how I was looking at it.

The suggestion was was for the interested party to wander to another forum for addtional advice (rather negative, in my opinion)on Welborne Labs amplifiers, when there are quite a few right here who are equipped to offer opinions and thoughts on the Moondogs. The amplifier/speaker relationship is an important one, in my opinion, and there are several forum members, including myself, who have used the amplifier in question with a Klipsch Heritage speakers.

Had Raptorman wanted some more information about the Moondog circuit and design, I was offering to share what I know about it.

"How festive"?

...how delightfully sarcastic.

The Paramours are indeed sweet sounding 2A3 amps. I had a pair before Geo Wright's, but have not had the opportunity to compare them to the Moondogs. Except for comparing one 2A3 amp to another, most folks would probably note that the comparison is between the Paramours which are a designed to price point bargain and a state of the art design with high dollar components. The surprising thing, I would think, is how well the modestly priced Paramours would compare. They are no doubt, the bang for the buck champs in the 2A3 world.

No doubt the Paramours are good amps. I was referring to what I perceived to be an inaccurate, or at least incomplete portrait of Welborne Labs.

I have read reviews that described the Paramours as being more 'laid back' or 'polite' than the Moondogs, as well as some other air-gapped output 2A3 amps to which it was compared. In my opinion, a parafeed amp is not automatically better than one with a more conventional output topology, and yes, I also think the Paramours are built to a price-point; thus my brining up what I thought not to be entirely true about the parts in Welborne Labs products. The filter capacitors, coupling capacitors, resistors, and power and output transformers in the Moondogs, as they also are in the DRD amps, are of first rate quality.

"How festive"?

...how delightfully sarcastic.

+++++++++++++++

ERIK,

I was just doing a bit of stream of conciousness typing.

My sarcasm is always intended to be funny; not demeaning. "Contrast in perspective" would have been a better description rather than "dispute">

You certainly have allot of expeience that can be passed on in this focused area of discussion.

Rick

I understand that, Flynn -- thanks for the clarification...really, thank you.

There is so much utter nonsense that has gone on recently concerning the 'SET syndrome,' that it's hard sometimes (for me)to know the intent and tone behind a post, comment, remark, etc. I obviously came back with even more pointed sarcasm, which was intended, and I apologize for that. It was the result of my misunderstanding.

Erik

My web design guy has built the Bottlehead phono stage and loves it. All the bottlehead stuff is a great bang for the buck. It's really not fair to compare a kit costing 1/3 of another kind of like comparing a Chevy to a Cadilac. I'm sure the Moondogs and DRD out perform the Bottlehead amps. If they didn't welbourne would be a big trouble.

Craig

----------------

On 7/30/2004 10:28:28 AM rf3iicrazy wrote:

Mine were much prettier!
2.gif

Tom
----------------

Tom,

You've got that right. Of all the pics I've seen on Audiogon or Ebay, haven't seen Paramours better finished than the ones you built. They were really nicely done.

----------------

On 7/30/2004 8:51:36 AM Erik Mandaville wrote:

..."There is so much utter nonsense that has gone on recently concerning the 'SET syndrome,' that it's hard sometimes (for me)to know the intent and tone behind a post, comment, remark, etc..."

Erik

----------------

SET...who cares about that low-powered, high-brow crap anyway? Just a bunch of stuck-up snobs who own that stuff, showing off to all their high-society friends; "Look at me...look at what I got...I'm so special...my 845 cost way more than your dumb 2A3"...blah, blah, blah...

Hey, wait a minute...uh, what am I saying? Oops, got carried away for a minute there...14.gif

SET...who cares about that low-powered, high-brow crap anyway? Just a bunch of stuck-up snobs who own that stuff, showing off to all their high-society friends; "Look at me...look at what I got...I'm so special...my 845 cost way more than your dumb 2A3"...blah, blah, blah...

Hey, wait a minute...uh, what am I saying? Oops, got carried away for a minute there...
14.gif

----------------

I would like to see a magizine that reviewed more equipment that isn't priced in the stratosphere. Stereophile is pretty to look at but how many people can afford most of that gear reviewed by these magazines. Is there a magazine that reviews more moderately priced equipment? I see lots of new brand names from overseas but never see any of it reviewed. I'd also like to see some kits reviewed.

----------------

On 7/30/2004 11:03:54 AM NOSValves wrote:

Tom,

I think these may have yours beat !

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/f07.jpg" border=0>

----------------

Wow, those sure have alot more time and money put in to them then mine.

Daddy Dee thanks for the kind words, but I guess Craig kinda proved you wrong.2.gif

Tom