DVD-Audio Bandwagon

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, its been over a year since I have posted up here on the web site and I forgot my username and password..... so I started a new one, but anyways... I finally joined the high-resolution audio bandwagon... I got the pioneer dv578as and of course more expensive wiring for this beast and bought peter frampton comes alive, the doors l.a. women, and the metallica black album, i can say that on the doors and peter frampton the difference is so amazing that it makes it worth every penny i spent, but metallica is ok, i didn't really hear to much of a difference on that compared to the orginal... I have been switching between both stereos and its cool on both of them. I think i would recomend it to anyone who has the interest in it...

Unfortunately, DVD-Audio will never get off the ground. The problem is that it is playable on computers and thus totally inapropriate as far as RIAA is concerned. I can imagine that SACD will remain a dominant format for as long as it cannot be played on PCs.

Guest Anonymous

well i have a universal player that will play both sacd and dvd-audio, but i found that i like the dvd-audio disks better because they are all in multi-channel and stereo and also i think the two different formats sound a tiny bit different and i don't know.... even if the idea tanks hard core i have probably the only disks i will ever buy unless more stuff i really like comes out which has not since the peter frampton disk which is outstanding.... my expierence with sacd has been much more limited compared to that of dvd-audio, plus i have never really had an interest in anything sony has to do with audio which is totally unfair but i think my bias has kept me more on the dvd-audio side...

MEUGE,

Thought you might be interested in this artical.

High Fidelity Review

DVD-Audio News Story:

DVD-Audio Sales Five Times that of SACD Says RIAA Survey

DVD-Audio sales doubled in 2003 and are more than five times that of SACD, according to an RIAA survey that is the news from the DVD-Audio council circulated today:

In a world where a drop in music sales is the expected norm, DVD-Audio, the leading high-resolution audio format, bucked the trend, more than doubling its sales in 2003, according to the RIAAs 2003 consumer survey released recently.

DVD-Audio offers surround sound and stereo along with images, lyrics, videos and other extras, and is compatible with existing DVD-Video players, delivering the highest level of quality on DVD-Audio/Video players.

The RIAA survey concludes that DVD-Audio sales in 2003 were over five times the level of competing high-resolution audio disc formats, with a 2.7% market share up from 1.3% in 2002 in comparison to SACDs 0.5%.

John Trickett President of the DVD Audio Council said The growth in DVD-Audio demonstrates that the format is being rapidly adopted and poised to move into mainstream music sales. This is clearly a product that the consumer wants to buy. The increasing number of titles being released by many labels including releases by superstar artists such as Britney Spears, R. Kelly, Sting, The Who and Neil Young will further help the development of music in DVD Audio. We are very excited about the future.

The RIAA survey also showed continued growth in sales to older consumers, with 26.6% made by buyers 45 years old and up, 35+ purchasers making up 47.8% of all sales. They are one of the two primary markets for DVD-Audio, said Trickett. DVD-Audio is also becoming popular among younger consumers for the added-value music videos, artist commentaries and web links that are often found on the discs a market segment where conventional music sales are falling.

For the RIAA survey, Peter Hart research questioned over 2,900 consumers in the USA. Over 730 DVD-Audio titles are currently available.

In a world where a drop in music sales is the expected norm, DVD-Audio, the leading high-resolution audio format, bucked the trend, more than doubling its sales in 2003, according to the RIAAs 2003 consumer survey released recently.

DVD-Audio offers surround sound and stereo along with images, lyrics, videos and other extras, and is compatible with existing DVD-Video players, delivering the highest level of quality on DVD-Audio/Video players.

The RIAA survey concludes that DVD-Audio sales in 2003 were over five times the level of competing high-resolution audio disc formats, with a 2.7% market share up from 1.3% in 2002 in comparison to SACDs 0.5%.

John Trickett President of the DVD Audio Council said The growth in DVD-Audio demonstrates that the format is being rapidly adopted and poised to move into mainstream music sales. This is clearly a product that the consumer wants to buy. The increasing number of titles being released by many labels including releases by superstar artists such as Britney Spears, R. Kelly, Sting, The Who and Neil Young will further help the development of music in DVD Audio. We are very excited about the future.

The RIAA survey also showed continued growth in sales to older consumers, with 26.6% made by buyers 45 years old and up, 35+ purchasers making up 47.8% of all sales. They are one of the two primary markets for DVD-Audio, said Trickett. DVD-Audio is also becoming popular among younger consumers for the added-value music videos, artist commentaries and web links that are often found on the discs a market segment where conventional music sales are falling.

For the RIAA survey, Peter Hart research questioned over 2,900 consumers in the USA. Over 730 DVD-Audio titles are currently available.

Interesting.

Still, the last line of the article where it says:

----------------

----------------

730 titles, compared to the thousands upon thousands that are on coventional CD. I guess if they start putting a lot more stuff out on DVD-Audio, the format would really start taking off.

Also, what would help is if manufactuers offer DVD-Audio and even SACD playback in the car. I'd be willing to bet the majority of people listen to most of thier stuff in the car. I know several people who's car systems are much better than thier home systems. A lot of them, ther "home system" pretty much consists of only one of those "boom-box" shelf-systems (That was all I pretty much had when living in the apartments - a Sanyo shelf-system. It was not until I moved into my own house did I start to dabble in a full-blown HT setup with floor standing tower speakers and surround-sound). I would not be surprised if within the next 5 years, we'll be seeing SACD and/or DVD-Audio capable head-units for cars (if not already - I may try to google up something). EDIT: I found one piece that says Panasonic is coming out with an in-car DVD-Audio player. They demonstrated it at CES 2004. It should not be very long before others follow suit. I also found where somebody posted in some message forum that Honda and Acura are comeing out with factory-standard DVD-Audio for thier cars. That could only be rumour, but still interesting none-the-less.

Also, I would be willing to bet the increase of sales is also helped by the fact that the players themselves are getting much cheaper. Again, I would not be surprised if DVD-Audio and perhaps even SACD play-back would be standard equipment on every DVD player, except for maybe the cheapest of the cheap, i.e., the $30 Wally*World specials. Another 5 years, Bose would finally get with the program and offer a Life$tyle system with DVD-A and/or SACD playbeck (after all, how long did it take them to finally offer progressive-scan capablility, as well as DTS?)

I was in Best Buy today because of the weather and was comparing the SACD and DVD-A sections. The DVD-A area was a mess, very few of the titles they had, and there weren't very many, were in the right place. The SACD section was much better organized and though there wasn't a huge selection, it was about twice the size of the DVD-A.

realistically...if you look at the numbers straight forward, sorry, but SACD has nothing against DVD Audio....I'm neutral owning both....

why is DVD Audio in automobiles.....even if bose sucks....

Warner is kicking Sony's ***....reminds me of VHS vs BETA, even if BETA was superior, who rules....10.gif

Sony refuses to share....their loss...2.gif

Guest Anonymous

this is sture most acuras and higher end cars like those have dvda standard and what not. also just about every new panasonic device that has a dvd player in plays back dvda and even though they may be horrible there are a lot more players to play back dvda then there are sacd.... i don't know i think that high resolution audio is the place to be right now though personally those disks just sound so good.

they sound awesome....neutral disk...Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

try it if you have the capability, I think DVD Audio is awesome on a good system, and yes even SACD....Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.....sweeeettttt....10.gif

more bang for "our" buck audio\video wise....IMO....10.gif

Unfortunately, while many of us (and others) are in agreement with regards to the quality of the DVD-Audio format the reality is that there are far more SACDs available. Furthermore, many of the so-called DVD-Audio titles are little more than demo discs (found at least 40 of those on Amazon out of ~150 total).

My experience today was just like Steeler Fan's (GO RAMS!11.gif) -- The Best Buy DVD-Audio section (tiny) was in disarray and very poorly stocked. The SACD section (equally tiny) was at least borderline decent looking, but still not full. It looked about three times better than the DVD-A section, though. Of Course, this could just mean the DVD-A titles are flying off the shelves much faster than SACD. So fast, they can't keep it stocked. Yeah, right. 14.gif

I love the format and believe it will end up the overall format of choice for HR music. I will agree that the selection at best buy on either format is not very good, Because of this I buy 90% of all my DVD A titles on line.

It also looks like the auto manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon and installing these players in there cars. Also the Dual Disc has been completely approved by the DVD Audio Counsel. You will start to see titles being released on this new disc. One side is a standard CD and the other is the DVD Audio version. Intitail test were very good.

I posted the below in the DVD section of the forum. I decided to paste it here since we are on the subject of DVD Audio.

I just picked up a new DVD Audio disc by a great british rock band...Porcupine Tree.

The album name is, In Absentia. This is an oustanding recording from a group I knew nothing about only 2 months ago. If you like progressive rock that is not of the speed metal type then this may be a wonderful surprise for you, I know it was for me. This disc is made in the tradition of 70's style albums were the avg song was 7 min, not the 3 min of today.

These guys can rock but also provide you with that aural feeling you get with a recording like Pink Floyds, Dark Side of the Moon and the slight edgy sound of a band like Tool. Excellent guitar work both accoustically and electric. Great keyboards and a very nice drummer.

The DVD Audio surround tracks are only recorded at 48khz/24bit instead of the 92/24 that you normally find. However I must say it is an excellent sounding recording. The mix is very very good. With vocals mostly in the front 3 channels. Use of the surround mix is done very tastefully and really invites you in.

Disc Features:

12 songs

3 Bonus tracks ( in surround)

3 Music Video's in 5.1 surround

On Screen lyrics & Photo Gallery

Also includes:

DTS 5.1 48/24

PCM 2.0 Stereo

Highly Reccomended

ScooterDog

This is why I bought the universal player.

I have discs fom both formats and the only frustrating thing to me is availability of both.

Fleetwood Mac Rumors is great on DVD-A and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon is great on SACD.

At first I thought I liked DVD-A better but I'm not so sure it wasn't for the fact that it had something to do with DVD's. Now I think I am leaning to SACD as you can play them on a regular CD player. The latter will become less of an issue as these players drop in price.

I do think that the format that wins the selection war will win the overall war because sales equals success for these types of things.

I too toss my vote in for either of the formats. They are both excellent (given that the material is recorded/transferred well) especially when compared to a CD. I have a Denon 1600 DVD-A and a Sony 755 SACD player and you can just 'drop a disk' into either and play, no video necessary. In fact, the Denon has a video 'defeat' which they claim is suppose eliminate any video 'crosstalk' that might make it into the audio stream, so 'seeing' a DVD-A is not really necessary at all.

Never having owned an 'Eagles' album in any format ever (prefer my music a wee bit 'harder'), the first DVD-A title I purchased was Hotel CA. This to my ears is without question the best recording I've ever heard of anything anywhere. The sound when played through my Denon1600 through my Denon 3802 receiver to my all heritage setup (4 50's era Khorns in the corners and Belles for front and rear centers) plus a SVS 20-39PC+ sub, flat out blows away anything that has ever come out of my ST70/modified Cornwall 2-channel setup. A close but measurable second is DSOM in SACD. For 'pure music listening' - when you sit and listen only, not as background sound - I prefer to listen to DVD-A or SACD over a tube setup anytime.