What about NAD amps?

iwillwalk

Nad make some good stuff. And it's cheap. If you take the cover off their components you will see what appears to be a mish mash of cheap electronic components. The reality is, you are seeing the result of very clever engineering, extracting the nth degree of sound out of very ordinary looking components. Their stuff just keeps getting better. Their 320BEE is a great little amp - it even goes well with the KLF series - I've got one upstairs. I've had lots of other NAD products over the years and for budget solid state, it doesn't get any better.1.gif

I own an NAD power amp that's about 12 years old. It's 100 watts per channel (RMS into 8 ohms) and it causes the speakers to "POP" very loudly when you shut it off. Something probably just wore out in it. Because of that, it has been relagated to "garage duties". Otherwise, it always sounded good and performed well, never overheated nor produced noticible distortion.

Note: Some NAD amps (such as mine) use a common ground system on the speaker outputs. That can cause issues with certain speaker systems, such as the old Polk SDA systems that require isolated ground-type amplifer channels.

Picky:

My guess is that you have a NAD 2200 power amp. These and other similar era NAD amps used relays to mute the "thump/pop" from power on and offs. If can order the replacement relays from NAD in Canada. Let me know if you want to pursue further in repairing the amp.

BTW, most NAD amps are much better than their price reflects. NAD 1100 (50w/ch) is one of my favorate SS power amp. It sounds very similar to Pass Aleph 30 without the noise to me ears. I haven't tried their current line of power amps.

Ki

Picky

Easylistener on the forum fixes 2200's. I sold him two of my old ones that had the famous relay problem.

The 2200 is a great amp, especially if you bypass the protection circuits. Forget the Normal input and use the Lab input.

FWIW - I've been slowly replacing all my NAD amps with older Mcintosh amps.

JM

JM:

A good suggestion on taking advantage of the fourm memeber for repair help. I recall I had to take the amp completely apart to get to the bottom of the circuit board to replace the relays before selling the amp. I had the output signals jumpered for years.

For the price, it's still a good amp for everyday use.

Ki