Denon 3802 hiss

Hi,

We are using Denon 3802 as HT core, Klipsch Synergy (front: SF2).

Recently added a NAIM integrated to improve 2ch performance. And what a difference: the control over the speakers is amazing! Detail, punch. My SF2 finally came to life (with better low-end detail than I had with the Denon and SW12 sub in stereo mode).

And yet, I have a problem: using the denon pre-out to channel the front information to the Naim for surround mode, very nasty hiss is audible as soon as the volume on the denon rises above "infinite". The Naim has a "unity gain" feature that turns it into power amp for surround applications. I did some research, and most suggested earthing the denon - no luck. Other suggested it is the Klipsch sensitivity and horn-related detail that expose the hiss.

Did anyone experience such artifacts from any of these components?

Please help. Thank you.

8.gif

It is an interesting problem. My 3802 hisses to varying degrees dependent on source when used as an amp. Nothing that is unusual for an amp, but it can be verified. It is well below the noise level of the room and is not heard when more than 12 inches from the speaker.

When used as a pre you have to really try to introduce a situation that you can hear the noise - very, very low level stuff. So my first inclination would be that there is a problem with the 3802.

I should emphasize that when alone, the Denon performs perfectly.

Problem occurs when connected as pre... To power amps it was OK, but when an Integrated amp (I tried Rotel, NAD, Arcam and Naim, that my loyal pals let me borrow) enters the scene... hello hiss. And I want an Integrated amp to improve stereo performance.

I tried disconnecting all sources (the only RCA cable is the pre-out, and various interconnects for that), no improvement.

Hiss fades only when the Denon is set to zero level. 8.gif

hmmm...

I am at a bit of a loss. We may need others to chime in.

I would like a bit of detail on how you connect to the integrated from the preouts. And as a follow up have you tried variations on the input side of the 2 channel integrated amps?

Maybe with this information someone can chime in.