Waiting for Peach

joshnich

Mine made it! 3.gif

Packed well, plenty of foam suspension in the carton. There was about a one inch gouge in the side, FedEx gorillas took at least one try to impale it on something, but the packing took the hit and didn't break a sweat. The case is pristine with the chassis riding snugged up within.

Got it set up with the supplied Ei tubes and driving the SE OTL. Source is AH! CD and the sound is sweet sweet sweet on the Khorns.

Have just listened to one of my reference CD's... Diana Krall Live in Paris. Whoever produces her stuff knows how to run the gear. She is mic'd right and the instruments all sound live and present.

As to first impressions, and these are too preliminary to be considered as a review... I have done some posting of my impressions on the Blueberry in an earlier thread and would note that it would be a considerable challenge to improve on that. However, my first impressions include hearing some depth and resonances in guitar work on this CD that I hadn't heard like that before. So, yeh, the Peach sounds like the BB linestage, but enhanced. Bass is fabulous which was already a favorite in terms of sound character on the BB. The power supply transformer is massive. So far have just listened in BB mode. More later. ATTABOY Mark.

Josh,

You've been sitting on ready all week. One thought on FEDEX. It may be that I led a sheltered life as a youngster, because I was an adult before I understood that the old military expression SNAFU actually spelled from the first letters of descriptive words that reflect a somewhat cynical attitude toward business as usual. FedEx has earned it this week in California. You are going to love that Peach when it shows up tomorrow. Lord willing and the creeks don't rise... and FedEx gives up the audition for Ringling Bros.

Mark, man, you have heard some real zingers from the lips of FedEx folks this week. No wonder they call it FedUp.

Situation Normal All Flubbed* Up

*not an exact quote

The Peach is sweet and will be well worth the wait. You are going to love it.

I was talking to Chris King today and we agreed that the customer service people at FedEx are taught to say " sorry there is nothing we can do about that" I think that they spend days in a classroom repeating this mantra rather than learn how to solve peoples issues. Having said that I agree with Craig they all suck.

Josh

FedEx did fine with my Peach. It arrived Wednesday and IMHO the blonde wood looks great (You say tomayto, I say tomahto). While waiting for my new amp, I will be trying it out with an Audio Research Classic 60 later this weekend. Josh definitely took it up the wazoo from FedEx. Remember their old company slogan? "When it absolutely, positively has to be there..." I say Bull Schnizzle!

Chris

----------------

On 8/6/2004 10:53:34 PM ChrisK wrote:

FedEx did fine with my Peach. It arrived Wednesday and IMHO the blonde wood looks great (You say tomayto, I say tomahto). While waiting for my new amp, I will be trying it out with an Audio Research Classic 60 later this weekend. Josh definitely took it up the wazoo from FedEx. Remember their old company slogan? "When it absolutely, positively has to be there..." I say Bull Schnizzle!

Chris

----------------

Yep, I like the maple case, too.

Imagine FedEx, may actually deliver Josh's amp on Saturday. They sure have taken it out for a nice ride to provide Mark with some reliable testing data for the packing and shipping department at JM. Fortunately that Peach is packed like a champ and could take the usual 5-7 foot drops and other abuse without any trouble.

I agree that all ground shipping companies can be bad at times. But as Mark pointed out, FedEx Ground is actually an entirely different affair than the real FedEx. It seems that FedEx contracts out their ground deliveries, so it's not even clear to me who actually is responsible for them. Yes, the paperwork and stuff is done through the real FedEx, but I think the sorting and all the delivering is done by a completely different organization. Real FedEx, which would be by air, is pretty bloody expensive for amp shipping.

Thing is Mark the exact same type of handleling happens at UPS one of my best friends works there. They have temperary workers that are not full time doing the same thing. He worked at UPS part time for 3 years before he became a full time full pay employee.

Craig

NASA should use FedEx ground the next time they want to test the landing packages for the Mars Rover gear. They could save millions. Why try to recreate the impact of falling to the surface of another planet at the testing center in Huntsville, AL when they could ship stuff FedEx ground from anywhere. 7.gif

I had no idea about the workings of the FedEx organization. Have to say, though, after reading Mark's post from consumer affairs that FedEx is organized perfectly for the results they are providing.