buzz in belle

jdm56

I have a 27" Toshiba on a shelf right above my belle klipsch center channel speaker. The problem is an annoying buzz that comes from the mid-horn any time the TV is on. It seems to get louder when the picture is bright and quieter when the picture is darker. I am thinking some metal shielding around the mid driver might cure this. Has anybody had a similar problem you were able to cure in this or some other way?

I had a similar situation when I had a Quartet sitting directly on top of my Mitsubishi, however it only happened when the amplifier was OFF! I assumed the speaker wire must have been acting as some kind of antenna. When the amplifier was ON, the buzzing would cease. Since then, I have mounted the speaker on the wall, a couple of feet above, and back some from the TV. NO more buzzing. Maybe you could try moving the speaker wire (or disconnecting the wire altogether to see if the problem remains). Is there such thing as shielded speaker wire??? A gounded sheet of metal under the TV??? Just guesses!

The mid driver is a 55X.

I need to experiment and see if I can isolate the exact conditions that cause the buzz. So far, all I know is that it has occurred with two different receivers, three different TV's, and that it goes away when the TV is off.

I placed a 16ga. piece of 12x24" galvanized sheet metal underneath the TV, but the buzz is still there.

I looked through the archives here, and it does seem to be a fairly common problem. There are many topics about buzzing in RC3's caused by proximity to CRT's, and the symptoms sound identical to mine.

I did have some picture discoloration at first, but the sheet metal I placed between the TV and the speaker has almost eliminated that.

The buzz persists, though. This is a brand new TV, and i have discovered there are two sources of buzzing noise: one from the TV itself, near the back; and one from the belles squawker. Actually the one from the TV is worse, as the TV sits in a cup-shaped niche which kind of tends to act like a horn - it seems to amplify the noise from the TV. I may have to put something back there to absorb some of the buzz. Oy, does it ever end?7.gif

I think John is correct that it might not be the driver picking it up, but rather the crossover.

If I had this problem, I'd try turning the crossover on its side, or if there is room in the other dimension.

The reasoning is that the field from the TV does have an orientation. The autotransformer or a coil in the crossover also picks up a signal in one orientation.

Therefore, you have to get the inductor in the crossover 90 degrees away from that field.

Gil

Buzz in the audio that changes with the brightness or contrast level of the video signal is a common problem. It most likely is a problem with the unit that demodulates the Video/audio signal i.e. the TV, VCR, TIVO, SATELLITE RECEIVER. It can also be an over modulation of the Video from the TV station itself.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Try muting the audio off with the remote, If the buzz stops, the problem is not coupling into the speaker wires or crossover, but rather in the Audio itself.

If the buzz is in the Audio and caused by the demodulator try a different source to provide the video/audio signal. Example switch from using the TV as the tuner and use the VCR or SATELLITE RECEIVER as the tuner.

It sounds like the inductor in the mid circuit in the crossover may be picking up interference from something in the TV. Like a transformer.

You stated the Belle has a K-55-X, the network is a AB-3.

I would start with setting the crossover on it's side or turning it about 90 degrees from the original position

However, as there are several inductors in the network, it may cause the same problem.

Only way to tell for sure would be to try it

I'm not convinced it's the speaker. Leave the TV hooked up and move it away from the speaker and see if the speaker still buzzes.

I use 10 speakers and 4 of my rear speakers (some 28' away from my TV) would buzz when I would turn on the TV. The other speakers were fine. The fix was moving speaker wires, interconects, S-Video cables, and or the TV cable. I not sure which, because I changed them all at once.

Shutting off the TV kills the buzz completely, but pulling belle further away from the TV reduces it, too. I'm going to try some more shielding and see what happens. Actually, this cheap TV buzzes so loudly itself that much reduction in the speaker buzz will have that noise below that of the TV!