Cornwall II suggestions for amp

Hi Guys

The "new guy" here. Please understand that I'm not always real bright so maybe I just don't understand, but here's my question:

I was reading about the chip amps and thinking "What's the difference between this and my 1975 Technics 25 watt SS single chip receiver ? " Isn't this amp going to have limited head room and make everyone want to go back to tubes for gain and "warmth" ? Maybe I don't really know what the amp is but from what I saw surfing around - it pretty much looks the same as that Technics.

Your (kind) assistance please !

Many thanks,

Dave

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave---I dunno about your Technics. What I do know is that gainclones sound very good. Not "everyone" will go to tubes for "warmth", only those that value warmth will, not everyone does. One could argue warmth is a coloration.

Personally I think if one wants wants warmth just use old Bozak speakers, you'll have warmth in spades, no lie.

And the gainclones certainly have at least as much power and headroom as the tube amps discussed here do; I don't see anyone hear talking about 200wpc Conrad-Johnsons and such.

----------------

On 8/8/2004 9:53:24 AM Danny in San Diego wrote:

I just got a pair of Cornwall IIs on e bay and I'd like some suggestions on an amp. I have a Jolida 801A which has many nice qualities about it but has nowhere near enough low end. I then hooked my Cornwalls to my old Yamaha natural sound solid state. Much more bass and power but loss of mid and upper tone and soudstage. I can hear the potential in the Cornwalls but I need the right match. I love the mid and upper range qualities of tubes but I also need plenty of low end. Could I just replace my standard Jolida tubes and get more bottom? Or do I need to go in another direction altogether? Any suggestions?

----------------

WOW, this one got long-winded in a hurry. I'm going to go out on a limb here and try to respond to Danny's question in my own simplistic style. First, welcome to the Forum and congrats on your purchase of Klipsch Cornwalls. They are a great speaker design and should serve you very well for years to come.

Personally, I've never gone the tube route, although I understand the love of that genre of gear and it's sound. Is is possible that your difficulty is one of room acoustics, speaker placement or eq? Generally, owners of the Cornwalls place them on the long wall of the listening room and 'toe in' the speakers quite a bit to keep the 90 degree horizontal dispersion off of the side walls, blurring the soundstage. Make sure speakers are in-phase when you switch amps.

If, as it has been suggested, you are obtaining the desired amount of bass with your ss yammie with the use of Loudness and Bass controls, you might consider that these controls usually work in the upper bass regions over a fairly broad range, boosting frequencies other than those you wish to adjust. If that's the case, you might stick with the yammie and add an equalizer. I've had very good luck with a dual 10 band Audio Control patched into my Yamaha RXV850's pre in/out jacks. You can really smooth out room response with such a system.

Good listening with whatever works for you!

Michael

----------------

On 8/9/2004 11:34:24 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

"...flea powered SET"

A flea can jump three feet.

----------------

And that is how close to you speakers using a flea powered amp to enjoy well defined bass !

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sweet response.

Kind of like headphones with wood cabinets.

----------------

On 8/9/2004 10:03:29 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Guy,

Your comments do not relate to Danny in San Diego's issue as originally stated.

----------------

They're related to Craig's relating to Mark's post.

BTW, Flynn.

just to remind you that you're not the moderator here and you don't have to read them or comment, if you don't like'em.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just percieve it rude to hijack a thread started by a "newbie".

Who has a legitimate question that is obcious by the amplifiers he tested anything less than 10 watts will most likely not meet the needs of his room or listening habits.

----------------

On 8/9/2004 10:25:10 PM NOSValves wrote:

I have heard many SET amps now and one thing they do NOT have is authorative bass ! They do have wimpy relax bass that last forever and ever and ever you may perceive that as good bass but I do not ! You know the kind I'm talking about you can never tell when the bass note starts and stops well unless were talking a 3 piece mild jazz band then it might have nice bass.

----------------

This is an excellent point and the very first thing I noticed in my initial time with SET, when I listened to one of Ron Welborne's cute low-power amps. But there were a lot of "audiophiles" present who were smitten. Go figure.

----------------

On 8/10/2004 3:30:11 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Who has a legitimate question that is obcious by the amplifiers he tested anything less than 10 watts will most likely not meet the needs of his room or listening habits.

----------------

Good point. Klipsch recommended 20W minimum for Cornwalls, although of course many people find more is helpful.

----------------

On 8/10/2004 2:10:33 PM bbbdave wrote:

Hi Guys

The "new guy" here. Please understand that I'm not always real bright so maybe I just don't understand, but here's my question:

I was reading about the chip amps and thinking "What's the difference between this and my 1975 Technics 25 watt SS single chip receiver ? " Isn't this amp going to have limited head room and make everyone want to go back to tubes for gain and "warmth" ? Maybe I don't really know what the amp is but from what I saw surfing around - it pretty much looks the same as that Technics.

Your (kind) assistance please !

Many thanks,

Dave

----------------

Technics? 6.gif WTF? Surely, uou have to be joking with us????

I wonder what the Rotel RA-1062 and RCD-1072 that TAS brags so much about would sound like on Cornwalls....it's certainly not vintage tubes but they seem to like their value and used the pair is $1k ($500 a piece) w/phono stage.

They even tested with "Way out west" by Rollins...Sonny that is.

Danny,

Welcome.

I have a couple questions for you:

1. How big is your room?

2. What type of music do you listen to?

3. Do you want seperates or an integrated.

4. If seperates what will you be using for a preamp?

5. Albums, CD's or both.

You have killer speakers. I am also using Cornwalls.

Just reading this post I wouldn't know what to buy. I don't think your question has really been answered.

Danny

----------------

On 8/11/2004 11:47:57 AM dbflash wrote:

Danny,

Welcome.

I have a couple questions for you:

1. How big is your room?

2. What type of music do you listen to?

3. Do you want seperates or an integrated.

4. If seperates what will you be using for a preamp?

5. Albums, CD's or both.

You have killer speakers. I am also using Cornwalls.

Just reading this post I wouldn't know what to buy. I don't think your question has really been answered.

Danny

----------------

Here are my answers:

1. My room is really an enclosed patio and it is huge at 37ft x 25ft. The speakers are in the corners (toed in) on the long side. I might try placing them in the corners of the shorter side, perhaps the stereo soundfield might be a little better, although they don't sound bad where they are. The layout of my furniture makes it better for the current placement. Ideally, one day I'll add another pair of Cornwalls and have one in every corner. The ceiling is low at 7ft 3" and covered with popcorn.

2. I listen to many types of music, including lots of jazz, r&b, rock, reggae, world. I like to crank the volume when people come over.

3. Re: integrated or separate, I'm open. I really just want the best sound.

4. If a preamp, I would like suggestions.

5. I mainly listen to cd's, though I have lots of old vinyl that I'd love to rediscover with my Cornwalls.

I've been switching between my Yamaha and my Jolida. The Yamaha sounds as though the sound is coming only from the speakers. The Jolida really opens up the soundstage and the tone across most of the frequency range is definitely superior....except for that darned bass! The Yamaha has tons of low end and I really don't want to be without it (I'm a bass player, maybe I'm biased). If I could just keep all the positive qualities of the Jolida and add more low end, I'd be happy. I'm going to send my Jolida to Craig for evaluation. What do you use with your Cornwalls?

Danny

That is a big room!

-I am not sure Jolida has a phono stage; vinyl on SS phono stages is somewhat lacking, for most amps.

-A trip to Craig is a good thing for the Jolida.

-there are a few Harmon Kardon "twin powered " receivers on e bay right now. The 730 can be had gennerally for about $ 100 plus or minus. It should be more musical than the Yamaha with firm deep bass. Soundstage and midrange will perhaps not be as good as the Jolida.

Good Luck

Rick

Hi Danny,

Consider having Craig from NOSValves to modify your Jolida Amp. I have a Jolida 502B converted to triode with EL-34's. Other modifications included Hexafred fast recovery diodes, Jensen PIO caps, tantulum resistors, bypassing the balance controls, DACT 100K attentuator, some Cardas re-wiring. nice Mullard pre-amp tubes and some Swet EL-34 power tubes.

The Jolida with the Cornwalls sound very nice. I've also acquired a re-furbished EICO HF-81 from Craig, and this sounds sweet also.

Stan