Cornwall II suggestions for amp

----------------

On 8/9/2004 10:44:19 PM Guy Landau wrote:

OK,

Time for some recommendations:

&

----------------

Guy,

Have you owned any of these? Which one is the best of these and why? Thanks.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/10/2004 1:41:53 AM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 8/10/2004 12:41:44 AM Klipschfoot wrote:

Craig, is it just me or have you mellowed over the past months? ----------------

Yes but sometimes the barrage of bullsh!t has to be countered.

Craig

----------------

Dude, you're killing me over here. That was all time!!

Piranha---The GainCard is a commercial, turnkey chip-amp aimed at "high-end" types and not to be confused with DIY "gain-clone" chipamps. DIY gain-clones are cheap, I mean CHEAP.

At a horn club meeting at my house we compared a GainCard to one of Kurt's gain-clones, the speakers used were my Altec 605s. Nobody thought the GainCard was better (save it's owner perhaps, the fella was kind'a quiet); some thought Kurt's amp sounded better and some thought it made no real difference. I thought both amps sounded very good. But the price difference makes the DIY chip-amps a no brainer.

I'd love to hear one of those things Tom. Is someone you know willing to put a few of these things together for the Klipscheads?

I bet a Scott 299B has at least a watt of Class A (all anyone really needs, remember?:), a damping factor higher than 5, a real preamp section, and they're tube rectified. They may have limited bandwidth compared to other amps -- but they sound good. The irony here is that a good integrated with some limited capabilites performance wise would be brought low, and another type of amplifer with similiar limited capabilites would be elevated.

I don't agree that just because something is Class A that it has better or more accurate bass, and I sure as hell don't agree or believe there isn't any relationship between power and good bass. Craig makes an obvious and valid point: If the lower powered, Class A amps really have such great bass -- then why do so many users of these amps supplement with subs, or eventually move on to biamp and triamp options?

mmm... Mark's feeling guilty 'cause he mentioned the SE amps... I jes' mentioned 'em 'cause I likes' 'em. Tastes vary (good thing, too, or we'd all be driving Accords or something).

The Gainclone discussion got me to thinkin'... anyone here ever try one of the Tripath digital amps on Cornwalls or other Heritage speakers? Even that $39 jobbie that Target has been selling? Any 'synergy' there?

mrh---I've never heard the Target amp though the buzz is that it's pretty decent.

Kurt used his 200wpc Tri-Path on the LaScalas he owned, they sounded just like LaScalas, which I think is a bad thing but others think a good one.

In any case Kurt's Tri-Path is an excellent amp, I've heard no better, and I've heard this particular amp on Altec A7s, A5s and 605s and on JBL Pro horns, LaScalas, Tannoys and B&G ribbons.

The Tri-Paths and gain-clones I've heard are simple, competant and undramatic amplifiers. They have a job of work to do and they do it in a workmanlike manner. They are clear, clean and uncolored. Amplifiers, period. I think that is good.

I emailed my buddy Alfredo at the Chicago Horn club to see who may be building these for sale if anyone is. I let you know when I hear from him or Tom may chime in with a source. If its cheap enough I may just buy one since its hard to say when I would have time to mess with it although it looks simple as hell to put together. I know Leo's little digital amp was impressive for its power if these are anything like that with more balls it could be fun to play with.

Craig

----------------

On 8/10/2004 2:26:01 AM TBrennan wrote:

Piranha---The GainCard is a commercial, turnkey chip-amp aimed at "high-end" types and not to be confused with DIY "gain-clone" chipamps. DIY gain-clones are cheap, I mean CHEAP.

At a horn club meeting at my house we compared a GainCard to one of Kurt's gain-clones, the speakers used were my Altec 605s. Nobody thought the GainCard was better (save it's owner perhaps, the fella was kind'a quiet); some thought Kurt's amp sounded better and some thought it made no real difference. I thought both amps sounded very good. But the price difference makes the DIY chip-amps a no brainer.
----------------

Tom,

I'd like to get one and try it out on my CW's. Would you mind asking your friend about it? Thank you.

There was a group project to build Gainclone chip amps at audiokarma.org a year or so ago if memory serves. You might want to look through the posts there.

I am sure you all know there are many sources on the internet devoted to DIY chip amps. Eeehaah runs a nice chip amp forum (one of the first, I think), which is now at:

http://ampchipdiy.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=00c7b6472e057d81002ce283157531ef

I have a gainclone-clone (sort of) based on the Velleman "30 watt" stereo chip amp kit. No point to point wiring, and no fancy power supply, though. It sounds pretty good.

post-4246-13819257381472_thumb.jpg

The gainclone is a great little amp. I've heard it many times including the shoot out at Tom's on his 605's against the commercial version of it. The owner was a little upset and I would be too if I spent $3000 on an amp that could be made from $50 - $100 (depending on your parts box).

Kurt Chang only built a few of these for a couple of guys that are from the Chicago area who didn't have the resources/knowledge/time to put one together. I don't believe he is in the full time business of making/selling these.

Kurt told me once that it took him longer to cut the wood for a make shift chassis to hold the power supply/chip amp then it did to solder the parts together!

Also depending on the power supply you build the chip can put out anywhere from 20 - 50+ watts.

Tom has a great idea by letting people try out this amp on their systems. I think folks here will be quite surprised at the sound.

Alfredo