Bass control with vintage tube integrateds

Audio Flynn

There was comment that vintage integrateds lack truly low bass and bass control recently.

I thought really hard to find some source material software that would test the Chorus IIs to there limit of pulished frequency response.

An impartial nearfild live music listener was brought in to help with the evaluation. My son Matt aged 16 listens to rock band, syphonic band and marching band in a nearfirld setting 1-5 times weeksly throughout the year.

Three undeniably powerful rythym sections in 3 genres were selected for the evaluation.

We also limited it to 5 songs.

Patricia Barber; Companion (CD)

-Black Magic Woman

Cheap Trick; Authorized greatest Hits (not bad for Sony Legacy CD mastering)

-I want you to want me

-Aint that a shame

U2; Rattle and Hum

-Angel of harlem

-Love rescue me

=========

Peter Frampton; FCA

-I give you money ( was considered a bit of a tired vinyl LP where it was inferred software lacked bass control a bit due to the fact it was enjoyed to many times on inferior TT)

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since we have a modest drum kit in the basement I try to stay current with the perception of nearfild drums.

Conclusion

Matt siad it was not as loud as a real drumset in the room; but did not lack any toanl qualities in the kick drum or floor toms.

He was quite amazed the bass guitar realism and firmness.

AF looked at it this way.

Bass control and location in the soudstage under 300 hz was easy to locate and very musical.

Kick drum is miked differently and mixed differntly for many artists. With each song it was enjoyable to "get" he sound engineer's interpretation of the best way to record.

BMW from Patricia as an added bonus had some really well recorded "latin percussion" (sounded like bongos to me, rather than congas); the attack and decay of the hits was abolutely real!!

Pretty much sold on the fact, although limited in wattage, for PP tubes; properly updated vintage integrated amplifier in the house(Scott LK-48) implemented very sound 2 channel bass performance.

At moderate volumes, my 299b seems to have more bass output then the MkIIIs/Blueberry but a bit more boomy. They even out at very high volumes and the 299 has plenty to spare even then.

This is the first I've heard of this claim but I haven't been around much lately.

I get great bass with all my Scott integrateds. From the little 222 to the the LK-72. On the LK-72 I have a negative curve on my EQ knocking the bass down some.

If you aren't getting good bass response on your vintage tube integrated consider giving Craig at NosValves a call. That will be the end of that problem.3.gif

I agree that it is ridicukous to say vintage integrated have "weak" bass, those I have listened to all have very pleasant sounding bass.

I would make the following observation though; some vintage gear can sound a little "loose" in the bass, maybe even a little bloated, this may be due to some lack of transient response or perhaps a lack of extension in deep bass.

tony

As a follow up I played one of Craig and Dean's favorite Duetch Gramophon (DG) LPs.

Side 2 of Holst "The Planets" by the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

It was just wonderfull to hear the definition of the tympanis.

THe low brass although not really low had excellent pace (a term I wouyld like to use as the summation of attack and decay, hard to have one without the other).

I just cannot remeber how many really fine DG LPs Craig and Dean have recommended to me.

They are the top shelf in LP mastereing of classical music.

FWIW

I have found over the years that the bass content of LPs/cds both early and modern is so variable that I need to keep the Bass controls on my preamp available.I have therefore resisted the urgings of various posters to bypass the tone controls on my PAS3.

----------------

On 8/15/2004 11:03:40 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

I even sometimes use the 'loudness' switch on the lk-48 at low volumes.

Rarely; but it adds realism to poorly mastered software.
----------------

Better than being held hostage by poor recordings.