Budman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/21/2004 8:00:40 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Mike,

Not to fear. My '68 Vertical Cornwall II's in Mahogany will be up for grabs once I get my Khorns up from NC. Or I can part with them sooner since I will need the room for the Khorns when I get back.

----------------

Your 68 Corns are beautiful!! Let me know when you want

to sell them...would love to take them off your hands.

Gimme, gimmee, gimmeeee! They're mine all mine, now I need to find some cash.

Good pont Good2, I've also thought the same thing. The only reason I can think of it's a old city with old money. I've not spent much time down in the New England country, but the few times that I have, there are some awsome, simply awsome old homes. I loved New Port, RI, and I've been to Boston and Maine also. I just couldn't get over some of those older homes. Some of the architectural styled homes are to die for.

The Music Box in Wellesley, Mass was an early Klipsch dealer and one of if not the largest Klipsch retailer in the country. That is where I went to buy a pair of Corns in 1977 but wound up with Klipschorns with the wife's approval.3.gif3.gif3.gif

I still want to get a set of Corns someday.

Rick

Thanks guy's. But it won't be over until I have then home, and I'm in Tulsa, OK. Frznvt is going to pick'em up for me over the labor day weekend. I know he'll give'em a good inspection.

I'm also going to purchase his 68 Cornwalls in Mahogany. Those are in pristine condition.

I'll be doing some reasonably serious refinishing on these ebay Corn's. I hope the interiors are perfect. The owner didn't know how to take off the front cover (motorboard) so, I assume he's never removed the back panels. The back panels look factory fresh in the photo's, no marks on them at all, zero, none, nada. Just that 1 top surface on the 1 speaker is my only real concern, but it looked doable. If not, I'll be asking you guys for help.

I've been rolling the ideal of purchasing a good 2 channel tube amp, and a good matching tuner for sometime now. And I've had some very good recommendations from many members on this forum. And now, I think the time has come, because I have a pair of very worthy vintage speaker candidates. I'll be placing them in my gameroom when the time comes.3.gif

As of today, I am the proud owner of 5 pairs of Cornwalls, 2 Khorns, and 2 Forte's. All except 1 pair of the cornwalls are verticles. But to be honest, I can't tell the difference (sound wise) between either. So, I guess that means my ears are either shot, or maybe there is no difference.

I just love the nostalgia of vintage heritage.

Wow,

So I guess my dad had some great speakers!

I'm glad that this sale has caused so much speculation and intrigue, it also seems like you folks will enjoy these Cornwalls more than my father and I ever had. I'd be interested to find out the conclusion to this discussion and know when these were made etc. I'm pretty sure they have never been opened, though not sure where my dad got them from, I will find out.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in here, it's great to see such devotion to sound quality and history. Take care.

Jamie

update:

My dad said that he bought the speakers from the Music Box in Wellsley MA in the late 60's or 70's. he wasn't sure if they were used at the time and he doesn't remember how much he paid for them.

Awesome, Gilbert. Hope you enjoy those classic speakers!

I had this concept of building a second system, possibly tube amp, in the bedroom upstairs with the Cornwalls as a foundation. I almost bid at the 9 second mark, but decided I'd spent too much money this year and closed my browser. Que Sera Sera!

Just curious - What was your max bid? I wondered if I would have beat you? Like that wounded bank robber laying on the street asked Dirty Harry Callahan, "I gots to know!" ;) Apologies in advance if asking about your bid constitutes a horrible breech of netiquette -

The Music Box in Wellesley, Mass

Was one of the first (maybe the very first).klipsch delears .

They were also said to be the first hi fi store also.

Mr bell the owner turned me on to khorns when i wasd a kid.

He was so in to the hi fi thing that he took a pair of khorns,marantz amp and ampex tape deck to the worlds fair in 59 or 60 to truly demo sereo to the world.

I think it was a set he sold to a good freind in Boston.

One of these days I will post the story that was printed in a early hifi mag.

Sadly the Music Box closed in the early 90,s when Mr bell retired to Maine.

They were the only klipsch delear in the Boston area up tell the early 80,s or late 70,s whern tweeters ect became a Klipsch delear.

Mr Bell's music box was so in to khorns that they would put your name on a plaque and add it to there khorn wall ownes wall.I always wanted my name up. But back then khorns were just $$$ out of my reach.

He son was the lead singer in some local famous Boston based bands and had a few pairs of old bet up lascalas that he toured with.

I always wanted my name up. But back then khorns were just $$$ out of my reach.

Anyway the music boxed sold a lot of early klipsch stuff.

I wonder if there are recordes still around on the amount sold?

Sure would be cool to talk to My Bell about khorns.

Gilbert,

You are a total Heritage MANIAC!! Pretty soon

I think you should build an additional wing on your house and turn it into a vintage Klipsch listening room and museum so we can all come over and check out your gear. Congrats on the new cornwalls!!

Hi Cleve: No I don't mind telling you what my bid was. My max. bid was $800. Frznvt and I discussed a max. of $850, but I could only afford and was only willing to pay up to $800. I was surprised to have won.

I can hardly wait for those puppies to come to Tulsa, together with Frzn's mahogony's. I've been planning my dream house for quite sometime, and have the rooms my wife let me have all solved for. My rooms are the Theater Room, Gameroom and of course, every man's favorite, the Garage. The rest of the house will be hers. Within a couple years, I plan on moving back to Texas and shortly there after, build my dream house. When it's all complete, and everything is set the way I'd like it, I will have a house warming party, any and all on this forum will be invited, I promise. Mexico is just a hop and jump away, so you can combine your visit with a little excursion into good ol' mexico.

See Ya!!

I bought my Cornwalls from the Music Box in 1974. I was visiting a friend in Wellesley whose father had a pair of Shorthorns (there are pictures of them somewhere on this website). When I enthused over them he told me the equivilent of "You ain't seen nothing yet" and the next day took me over to the Music Box. It was an eclectic store, to say the least. There were greeting cards at one end, records in the middle, and in the back, the audio showroom. I'd never had such an experience, as St. Louis, with a few exceptions, didn't have many such "venues." I remember the plaques for "Klipschorn and Chowder Marching Society" on the walls. (I also remember the notebook detailing the settlement with Bose Corp. that he legally had to have on display, but that's another story...) Anyway, with membership in the aforementioned marching society being financially out of reach, I saved up for six months and ordered the Cornwalls - after explaining about the local Klipsch dealer, who had throughly ripped off a classmate who'd had more money than sense. Mr. Bell agreed to drop ship the Cornwalls (drop shipping meant something other than what UPS seems to think it means nowadays...) to me in downstate Illinois. I've had them ever since. (I wish I could say that about the used Marantz 2s I bought out of his "pre-owned display" in the back window, but that too is a another story.)

The Music Box and Mr. Bell. I miss that sort of thing in audio these days.

Sorry to have rambled on - I'm waiting for the rain to let up so I can go home. 2.gif

• 6 years later...

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but it seems to be the closest relevant one I could find.

I just picked up a pair of (very?) rough cornwall vertical speakers. I've been trying to research them as best I can and they seem to be very early units. Earlier than the pair in this thread. They are verticals, sequential serial numbers but do not have mirror image motor boards. #169 and 170, three digit serial number.The serial number explanation of the Heritage series over on audiokarma seems to say that three digit serials indicate a very early unit, but also that there shouldn't been any with this high a number. Also, the Cornwall history page indicates that they weren't made until much later anyway. Based on the K-33-J and K1000 horns they would be between 1959 and 1963, right? Any ideas?

They have a k1000 mid horn, with K-55 I307 drivers with screw down binding posts. The front and back of the mid drivers are corners rather than rounded, and I can't find any pictures of this type anywhere. Unfortunately one of the drivers is open, and they don't seem to have a way to open them to replace the diaphram. =[ The woofers are K-33-Js, and the tweets K-77s. Should I try to find a matching mid, or do I need to replace both drivers with a more common type? I'd need to adjust the crossover to match so I'll need info on what to change. The original oil caps are there, in fact the cabinet seems never to have been opened before so I'm sure it needs caps too. Does anyone try to source original type caps for vintage speakers or are sonic caps the way to go?

The crossover is labeled a K-1000-5000-W, but doesn't look at all like the ones with that designation I've found pictures of. It has three large apparently air core inductors.

They are unfinished wood that someone spray painted some black paint on the front of (-pout-). One of them has some denting on the motorboard opposite the mid horn. There are no ports on the cabinet. Is it normal for an early Cornwall to be missing front ports?

And, to save 1000 questions, here are some quick pictures. Sorry about the quality...

http://www.seanpix.com/p159807800/h36dadddb#h36dadddb