How to ship K-horns?

Coytee

I STILL remember the very first time I heard Klipsch. I pointed at "those" (K-horns) as one I wanted to hear roughly 1980 or so.

He pushed a button and I was "impressed" with the sound. Note, I was not GREATLY impressed, but impressed none the less...

Then I realized he hit the button for the Herasy's sitting in FRONT of the K-horns 3.gif

We've got an unfinished basement we're going to work on and the main room is supposed to end up my HT room. Consequently, I'm considering getting a pair of K-horns as my mains and use my LaScallas as rears.

Anyway, I look on EBAY from time to time and think "I could afford those AND go get them, but not for the WAF factor"... (pardon redundancy)

So, if I ever DO get a pair within driving distance (or shipping...)

how DO you pack these monsters without factory boxes?

My thinking would be to buy a pair in driving distance and use a pickup truck?

Is that really workable? How do you lash them down/together ??

Anyone do this yet over any appreicable distance?

If they're shipped commercially, what kind of luck is had with that avenue?

Thanks for any thoughts

I have only ever moved them with a pickup (a Japanese import, so they fit in a small truck just fine) even with a canopy. They "nest" together 1 face down and the other face out quite nicely in a small truck bed, and a couple of blankets keeps them from getting scratched.

The freight shipping issue is what stops me, too - I presume that you also have to have someone at home when the truck shows up, to boot! It seems to me that Khorn bottoms could be palette-ized without too many issues (1 per) face down, padded and wrapped, should be ok. But I'm guessing here.

New ones come boxed. But rarely will used ones come with the original box...

DM2.gif

My used Klipschorns came without boxes. They both fitted into a standerd sized 2 ton commercial van - a pick-up would do it. My mid and tweeter horn section weren't removed for the trip, although that would have been easy enough to do - just a couple of bolts. We wrapped them in bubble wrap and laid them side by side facing each other. Each speaker required 2 people to lift and move.

The only hiccup was with the lower side grill and frames. These are attached each side of each Klipschorn. Two shop assistants were helped me with the load and unload, they tipped them slightly on the side, cracking the frame (since fixed). I thought these guys knew not to do that. If I had thought I would have removed them before shipping.

So if in doubt, disassemble the Klipschorns. Don't trust others to know how to carry them - even if they work in a hi-fi shop. Be a fusspot when transporting them and you won't regret it.

Use PLENTY of blankets (they sell moving blankets at Home Depot, and you can probably rent them somewhere, although home blankets work well, too). Pillows, cushions, to keep the load from shifting. I fit mine in a (Toyota Sienna) minivan, disassembled.

Richard-

As people have mentioned here, disassembly of the K-horns will certainly make them easier to move. The top HF cabinet comes off the bass bin with two wing nuts. Also, DO take off the side grills, as they are pretty flimsy and can easily break. They come off with two wing nuts on each side. Now you have four managable components, though the bass bin still needs two people or a dolly to move. When disassembling, don't forget to detach the wire between the bass bin and the HF cabinet. You wouldn't want to do any damage there.

Bring lots of blankets, pillows, etc if you are moving them yourself. I moved my pair about 300 miles in my Explorer; both bass bins (laying flat on the front), 1 HF cabinet, and all the grills in the back, and the other HF cabinet riding "shotgun." I had brought so many blankets, comforters, pillows, etc, that people surely thought I was going to a slumber party. But I used every one and the load didn't shift at all.

A pickup would work, but make sure they don't shift and are protected from being scratched by the bed or sides. I've heard people renting a mini-van, pulling the back seats out, and then transporting. Certainly a good way to go. Lots of options, just pack them well!

I have not tried shipping; that is much more expensive and leaves you open to damage, and when you are bringing K-horns home, why invite Murphy along for the trip?