OT Broadband telephone service

dkp

I recently heard about broadband telephone service from a friend of mine. I actually picked up the Vonage system from BB, but couldn't use my home telephone number so I'm taking it back. However, this idea is very attractive to me for home and especially at my office where our telephone bill is upwards of $200 per month.

From what I've seen on the internet, most companies offering this will charge around $20-30 per month for unlimited local and national long distance. Business lines are a bit more, nearing $50-100 or so.

If anyone uses this, or knows much about it, I would be interested in learning more.

Thanks,

David

I'm not sure as I do not recognize the acronymns in your post. Basically, broadband internet service is simply your telephone running through your broadband connection. You would drop your local and long distance carriers and run it through broadband.

You need to be aware of call quality. To the best of my knowledge, most providers of Voice over IP do not provide any Quality of Service, which means that your phone calls are subject to the same variations in quality as your Internet web site browsing - meaning that your calls may not have the quality you would expect/demand/require for your home or business. That may be acceptable, but maybe not for you in your situation.

Voice calls are intolerant of jitter, delay, packet resequencing, latency, etc...the stuff that most broadband connections are rife with.

Where are you located?

Doug is right... call quality is the biggest problem. Voice over IP has been around for quite a while as I remember reading about it back in the late 90's and IP traffic has always been a factor. I don't know if it's still available, but the telco here used to offer a hybrid corporate service here which would switch between VOIP and POT depending on network traffic.

I recently tried long distance VOIP service when traveling in Africa this last Christmas... and I must say it made me miss the standard analog calls. Perhaps not a true reference given the lack lustre performance of their high speed internet services... but I expected better.

For more info on VOIP take a read at FCC VoIP FAQs

Later...

Rob

PS: i used to believe VoIP was the future... but i guess the future hasn't yet arrived... 2.gif

dkp may have a cable internet conection. I think then he could get the "Broadband telephone service" without maintaining a Local Bell land line, or other source (wireless) of number. Though he was concerned about keeping his number, I am not familiar with local issues that would inhibit the resolution of this matter.

----------------

On 8/20/2004 10:10:16 PM dougdrake wrote:

You need to be aware of call quality. To the best of my knowledge, most providers of Voice over IP do not provide any Quality of Service, which means that your phone calls are subject to the same variations in quality as your Internet web site browsing - meaning that your calls may not have the quality you would expect/demand/require for your home or business. That may be acceptable, but maybe not for you in your situation.

Voice calls are intolerant of jitter, delay, packet resequencing, latency, etc...the stuff that most broadband connections are rife with.

Where are you located?

----------------

I found out about this service from an associate of mine in another office. They currently use the "internet telephone service" and have not noticed any difference from their former "land line" connection. I also spoke to someone at BB who purchased the Vonage system and loves it. He did not mention any quality issues, but that does not equate to the fact that there are none.

I live in Michigan, about an hour north of Detroit.

David

----------------

On 8/20/2004 10:30:36 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

POTS is plain old telephone service.

DSL is digital subsriber line? The common form of high speed digital service.

Now you know what I know.

Gil

----------------

LOL

9.gif

----------------

On 8/21/2004 10:32:16 AM White01L wrote:

dkp may have a cable internet conection. I think then he could get the "Broadband telephone service" without maintaining a Local Bell land line, or other source (wireless) of number. Though he was concerned about keeping his number, I am not familiar with local issues that would inhibit the resolution of this matter.

----------------

Yes, I do have a cable internet service offered through Charter Communications.

David

• 4 months later...

A friend called me up tonight inquiring about the Vonage Broadband Phone Company. I thought I had read about this here on the forum before, so I did a search and... voila!

Did you ever change over to this David? Has anyone else tried this? I had told my friend that I thought there were quality issues?