2 Heresy questions

emmet2u

I am upgrading my Heresy's with an ALK crossover(thanks for the design Al). It got me wondering if:

1) has anyone rebuilt the cabints to a larger size?

2) what material did they use?

I would like to do mine in cherry, they are oiled walnut, and thought of doing a multi-density enclosure of baltic birch and mdf laminated together.

Any thoughts?4.gif

As to resizing the cabinets - I believe a few may have done something similar with reasonable results.

Most decide not to - the cabinet at its current size without porting seems to be the best fit for the driver. If you do resize you may want to consider a different woofer - that would als require a crossover change.

2 cents

i have my heresy's for rears sitting on small table

I was thing of building larger cabinets, still sealed, that would basically keep it at the same height as if the table was there.

a larger sealed cabinet should allow the woofer to go lower

probably not by much

The larger enclosure might give you a little more low-end (and that is not certain) but it will likely also rob some output from the bass higher up the scale. You will likely get a drier less punchy bass -- which you might not want want. If you're using a subwoofer with them already, I would not suggest building a new enclosure.

STL is exactly right. Ive built 4 cu ft enclosures that were vented and tried sealing them as well. Sealed yielded no LF increase- venting did but not enough to justify proper cabinet construction and power handling went in the toilet. In fact, if you put in the K-22E t/s specs into winISD for a sealed box, it shows a slight raising of the F3 point when using a 4 cu footer.

ttaylor