Klipschorns for sale

Justintime

FYI: As you inch up the line of the Klipsch Heritage series, each step takes you closer to the ultimate in the horn sound, the classic Klipsch corner Khorn.

One and half dozen Heresy sales on eBay, until August 2004, show pairs of of the smallest Heritage box, selling from $200 to $590, establishing the average value at $405.

Half a dozen sales each of the larger Heritage line sold:

Cornwalls, which do NOT have horn loaded bass, sold from $700 to $1,125, averaging about the same for Chorus (averaging $844)

Belles, share the same drivers as the Khorn, dont down go as low, but dont require a corner either, have a covered front, sold from $800 to 2075 (average $1,352)

LaScalas, also share the same drivers as the venerable Khorn, also dont go down as low, also dont require a corner, but have an exposed front, sold from $900 to $2,504 (average $1,292)

Klipschorns, which are much deeper and twice as sensitive as the Belles or the LaScalas, sold for $1,025 to 2,500 (averaging $1,823)

Which is, by the way - considering the cost of Avant-garde Audios large bright horns and new Heritage loudspeakers - about one thousand dollars too cheap!

6.gif

"Klipschorns, which are much deeper and twice as sensitive as the Belles or the LaScalas"

Colin, you better check your specs as the Khorns, Belle's & La Scala's all have the exact same sensitivity. Older models being 104db @ 1W and newer ones 103db @ 1W I don't know where the heck you are getting the twice as sensitive thing from but that is certainly not factual.

----------------

On 8/25/2004 7:33:44 AM DeanG wrote:

I don't agree. That price is more than fair considering the finish and later networks.

I think what Colin meant to say is that Klipschorn
users
are twice as sensitive.
9.gif

----------------

Sensitive?? Testy is more apt!6.gif

The price isn't bad for a late model pair with unique finish. They would serve nicely in someone's combo HT audio room.3.gif

Of course if Justin wanted to give them away for free, Sheltie Dave would be there in ten minutes with the party Volvo!!!9.gif

Rick

oops, sorry, I was thinking of the Cornwall, guess I kinda lumped the LS and the Belles in with it when they are very different creatures -

LS and Belles are just as sensitive as the mighty Khorn, cost less, don't have to sit in a corner and save enough money for a deep SVS sub-woofer...

3.gif

I seriously doubt the plain-jane black lacquer finish was a $500 upcharge from the oiled oak or walnut finish. I think the "upcharge" was for PIANO FINISH black and these are not that if the oak grain shows through. A PIANO BLACK finish is an extemely time and labor instensive process that involves many, MANY coats of lacquer that are block sanded smooth and then rubbed out and buffed to a high-gloss FLAWLESS finish (take a look at a new Steinway and you'll see what I'm speaking of).

All I know is that we have refinised several pianos in our shop here, including a HUGE white Bechstein concert grandfor a movie a some 8-10 years ago. At that time we charged FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS to do a piano and if I had to do in over again I would charge at least twice that.

If the label indicates KB-BLK LAC then the extra money was for the lacquer finish and not the black paint. Remember what Andy said if the wood veneer was flawed or had an issue they were finished in black. If grains are visible in the wood finish then that tells you that they started out as Walnut or Oak and then painted black for whatever reason. I certainly would not pay an additional $500 for a black finish, the extra fees were usually associated with exotic woods, lacquer or hand rubbed finishes. Piano black finish is as Allan stated very, very labor intensive and $500 additional for that finish would be a steal!

Would they still be worth $2900? I suppose since they are relatively new and have some of the more recent networks (i.e. AK-3). But it would certainly be a little on the high side for a black finish I would think, but some folks prefer that. You can get the Shinall version of the Khorn (KKS-1) brand new for $3500 so keep that in mind, don't know what drivers or networks he uses though.

Hell if you guys are willing to pay that for black I will sell you my '77 Khorns in Walnut Oil that are sitting in Wake Forest, NC for $2375 and save myself a 1800 mile round trip journey.

Here's a picture, I'll work on posting more

Justin

----------------

On 8/25/2004 6:57:36 AM paulparrot wrote:

Justin,

Can you post some pictures of your speakers? Your asking price is a little high; you need to find someone who is not a bargain hunter.
----------------

post-14788-13819257660344_thumb.jpg

The exotic wood veneers were available from Klipsch for a premium price, but piano-black finish was not included. That would have been far too labor intensive. I think Andy mentioned there were a couple of very special orders made that way, but that the Klipsch factory was not set up for it and they had to do them when there was a minimum of workers, to keep down the dust. It would have been in the thousands of dollars extra, I would guess.

----------------

On 8/25/2004 11:00:44 AM Q-Man wrote:

I wouldn't sell any of my stock B mobel pairs for less $3,000.00.

----------------

Hi people, I decided I agree 100% with Q-Man and am therefore making a slight price change. $3,000 cash and carry.The fact that well cared for Khorns are not keeping up with the ever increasing price of new ones by at least half, is hard to believe. With tax a new pair is $8,143.00.

$4000 for excellent and then less for flaws ect, is how it should be. Many of these top speakers never even make it to market, because they get sold to family and friends. I think that when "bargin hunters" brag how cheep they got top of the line speakers, they are stabing themselves and everyone else in the back. Because if they decide to sell their own, they won't bring what they should. Let the bargin hunters buy the beat-up ****ty speakers,and the rest of us know you get what you pay for.When I sold my LaScalas

they went to my long time friend. Because he was my friend I gave him a deal, He said no they're worth more than that, and gave me an extra $800. Thats what you call fair dealings.

That's it for now.

Justin

post-14788-13819257662784_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 8/25/2004 11:00:44 AM Q-Man wrote:

I wouldn't sell any of my stock B mobel pairs for less $3,000.00.

----------------

Hi people, I decided I agree 100% with Q-Man and am therefore making a slight price change. $3,000 cash and carry.The fact that well cared for Khorns are not keeping up with the ever increasing price of new ones by at least half, is hard to believe. With tax a new pair is $8,143.00.

$4000 for excellent and then less for flaws ect, is how it should be. Many of these top speakers never even make it to market, because they get sold to family and friends. I think that when "bargin hunters" brag how cheep they got top of the line speakers, they are stabing themselves and everyone else in the back. Because if they decide to sell their own, they won't bring what they should. Let the bargin hunters buy the beat-up ****ty speakers,and the rest of us know you get what you pay for.When I sold my LaScalas

they went to my long time friend. Because he was my friend I gave him a deal, He said no they're worth more than that, and gave me an extra $800. Thats what you call fair dealings.

That's it for now.

Justin

post-14788-13819257663214_thumb.jpg

For the extra $100 I would hope that you would at least clean the dust from the side grills. The Bissell uphostery cleaner that comes in the blue can with the brush head will do a great job at making them look new again so you can get top dollar for them.