Hardwood floors and bass

white_shadow

You need to treat your room, Im in the middle of reasearch on this now, so I wont be much help yet. You can post pics of your room on Michael Greens Tuneland and he will advise you in what he belives is the correct treatment for your room. Another informative source I have found is a book called The Complete Guide To High-End Audio, by Robert Harley, it has a couple of very good chapters on room tuning. It is true that a properly selected 500.00 system in a room tuned for it can sound better than a poorly selected 50,000.00 system in a poorly, or un-tuned room.

I got a simple cheap idea you might try...go to wal-mart and get some Grippers and pull the metal sliders off ,,if you have Heritage line,,Andy had me try this after i took my carpet up....seems to help alot,,,,i was in a hurry so i didnt A-B the idea...well just an idea,,,Rick

----------------

On 8/26/2004 2:50:38 AM white_shadow wrote:

I have hardwood flooring, my low's never have been great. Some of the systems I've listened to with the same or lesser equipment sound much better on carpet.

----------------

It's always been my experience that hardwood floors help to make everything sound better...including the bass. The suggesting for changing the feet on your speakers is indeed a good one. It doesn't cost much and I personally have always heard good results (on many various systems and environments).

I think your biggest problem is most likely going to be with your room dimenstions and speaker location. What kind of equipment are you using and what are the dimensions (LxWxH) of your room? And where is the furniture/main listening position located?

You mentioned that you're renting...what kind of condition is your floor in? I've found in the past that floors with a very smooth finish (like a kitchen counter) sound better than older wood floors that are rather rough and not as flat.