DVD player question.

graham_myhre

So right now I am watching DVDs using my xbox and I want something a bit nicer. So I am looking at all these rediculous dvd players and i cant figure out the difference between a progressive scan player that costs a $100 or $500 or $2000. Obviously something is changing. I am looking at the Denon 2300 DVD player right now which I think i could get for about 500, but i dont know if it is worth it. Is it really going to be that much better than a $100 one from best buy? Thanks for the help.

Just off the top of my head, a few benefits higher end DVD players might have are:

1) Higher quality/bit rate DAC's

2) Heavier construction quality

3) Silicon or Faroudja deinterlacer

4) *NO CHROMA BUG*

5) No Y-Channel delay adjustment needed

6) Coaxial AND toslink inputs

7) DVD-Audio/MP3/SACD/HDCD/VCD/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD-R/CD-RW playback capability

8) More bass management controls

9) Larger memory buffer (to eliminate disc layer-changes)

NICH;

you are right on

I was driving myself nuts for a couple of years trying to keep up with model number changes and the cheapening of some brands design and build.

I got the Panasonic RP-91 as my second DVD player (first was a midline Sony I bought in 1999).

Still have the RP-91. Have not looked for another.

I saw Accoustic Sounds mail order had them for sale for about $ 400 as I remeber.

Worth it!

Picked it over an upper level TOshiba SD-5700 as I remeber.

As I said the damn part numbers change so quick.

Depending on what kind of display device will greatly depict what kind of DVD player you are going to need. My roomate has a 34" widescreen that is High Def. I also have a projector so I wanted something that would upconvert the image to a full 1080i. All DVD's are in 480i.... which is NOT high definition! I got the zenith DVB 318. Its around the 200 price range. I'd personally pay twice the price for the quality image that it delivers. Its a night and day difference on the projector. I'm now fully satsfyed with my purchase.

Well, for one thing if your DVD player is $200, paying twice as much wouldn't get you that high quality a DVD player, still. I would consider my DVD player "above average," but not "superior," and it ran $1200. The only DVD players that can upconvert to 1080i, or hi def, are the blu-ray DVD players, and I think only Samsung currently has one out. Everyone else has yet to catch up. And besides, until they saturate the market, they cost $$$.

I agree with what you say about it not comparing to high dollar DVD players. I just suggested it because it is cheep and a pretty good quality picture. Then again depending on the rest of his system he might not need the full 1080 signal. If he does not have a high definition TV he would not be getting the full use out of a product like this.

----------------

On 9/3/2004 12:25:57 PM graham_myhre wrote:

My main concern is audio really. My little 27in TV isnt exactly mind blowing.

----------------

I'm in the same boat.

If you are planning to use the digital link for audio then there isn't much difference for you. The DAC in your pre will be doing all the work with whichever DVD player you go with.

If you are planning to use the analog outs, say for SACD/DVD-A/CD, then the higher prices points should be caused by better quality output amps and DAC's in the player.

Search Audio Asylum for the players in question to try to find out what players use what DAC's and output parts, and to find out which of these parts are better.

high price DVD player = no chroma bug?

not true

Denon was noted for this chroma bug in their players

have the Panasonic RP-91 (noticed someone else mentioned that they had one too)

it still a great player, also have one of their portable 7" DVD players

the RP-91 was probably one of the last better DVD players that Panasonic made

all the current Panasonic players are just cheap thin crap

too bad, they had a great lineup

----------------

On 9/3/2004 4:04:42 PM mbajner wrote:

high price DVD player = no chroma bug?

not true

Denon was noted for this chroma bug in their players

----------------

Well yeah, it goes without saying that high priced DVD players doesn't equate to no chroma bug across the board, come on now. True, a lot of Denon's did have the problem, and they were the first to admit to having them, and fixed the problem in some of their models shortly thereafter. Such as the post-September 2003 models, which are all chroma bug free.

I think the only Denon back them not to have the chroma bug was mine, the Denon DVD 1600. I had the DVD 2800 I believe then, and it had all kinds of issues, I returned it and got the 1600, good player.

What do you all think of the 1600 compared to the stuff out now?

I run a 65" Mitsubishi widescreen, and it's HDTV, I view all my movies in 480P.

Thanks!

I'm shopping new DVD, just got Yamaha RXV2400 6.1 Digital receiver. Have Sony DVD now, love the remote and slow effects it has as well as nice menu system.

What do we look for in new DVD's? Does progressive scan mean anything if I'm using an 35" Sony direct tube (totally non-digital, but has S-vid inputs) What is this 'chroma' thing, a coloration problem?? Help with more factoids and model numbers please.

Thanks,

michael

----------------

On 9/12/2004 12:54:43 AM boomer9911 wrote:

so whats everyone want for Christmas

don't answer....
9.gif

----------------

Keeping with the theme of the thread,

The yet to be released Denon 5910 or a McCormack UD-1 universal player.

I'll probably get stuck with a modded Denon 3910 though.8.gif