Disaster strikes my Yamaha HTR-5280 Receiver

elgrillo

Well I've done it now...While watching TV in my bedroom I spilled some juice on my reciever. The HTR-5280 has some slots on the top to vent and I watched the juice rush into the slots like a river. The receiver was on at the time it happened, and about a second after the juice rushed into the slots it turned off. Now it won't come on. I am hoping that there is a simple fix. I have opened it up and dried it off as best as I could, but since it was so hot due to being on, it was pretty much dry. Can someone with some tech experience please help with what the fix could be. The bottom link has some pictures of all the guts.

Picture 1211 is a close up of where most of the juice spilled.

Picture 1210 is a where the power cord connects to.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287912867

You are most likely toast.

This is God's way of telling you not to be foolish with bevarages.

And it is time to upgrade.

Your RF-7 are crying for some nicer power.

GOod Luck.

Rick

I blew up some crossovers and midrange drivers in my homemade stage monitors about 4 years ago.

CLipping during Neil Young and Pearl Jam "Mirror Ball".

A little $ 350 lesson in more efficiency and the right power.

----------------

On 8/28/2004 11:05:57 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Your RF-7 are crying for some nicer power.

----------------

The 5280 was a very nice receiver. I know you're biased against Yammy, but we're not talking about a $300 hunkerjunker here. It was, if memory serves, about $800 list when it dropped.

Hmmm, if it is toast and you are going to chuck it and not try to have it repaired, I have a CRAZY idea to experiment with.

1) let it dry for a week, unplugged, then try and turn it on again.

2) If unsuccessful and you are not going to repair it, unplugged and outside, spray it with LOTS of WD-40 from the top and let it drain out the bottom. Use as much liquid WD-40 as juice that spilled. Let it dry and try again.

I know this is crazy/stupid but what the hey? It sure beats a hammer!

Ridicule welcome!9.gif

Woo Hoo...sort of. Looks like time heals all. Today just for the hell of it, I tried turning it on again and walla. It's alive!!!. Its a little quirky though. It turned off again after about 5 minutes, but I was able to quickly turn it on again. Then for some reason it went into headphone mode, though no headphones were plugged in. Looks like if it doesn't recover I may just trash it and go for separates.

Clean it with Isopropyl Alcohol, thoroughly, use clipped acid brushed on the switches and components, and maybe even an alcohol spray for items with little or no access around and underneath them. If you are uncomfortable doing this take it in to have it done, you may get lucky. Most ckt boards today have a conformal coating on them so the damage may be minimal. Most of the coatings used today are able to dissipate heat although some dont. I doubt your high power components will be coated, the ability of the coating to dissipate the heat is limited and high power components do heat up quite a bit. But you may get lucky.

The problem now is not the immediate shorts caused by the liquid, but any subsequent corrosion caused by said liquid. I speak from experience because an ex-cat of mine peed on my laptop computer one day. dribbled down and absolutetly ate up the mother board.

So you've got to get inside and get that syrupy liquid and sticky residue outa there! WD-40 might work, but is there a local electronics shop that can disassemble and ultra-sonically clean the main PC board?? They may be the only real fix available. May not be economically viable. I do not recommend leaving this unit plugged in/on if you leave the home for any reason. there may be a fire danger!!!!

Good luck

yikes!!!! I have it plugged in right now. Looks like I just can't leave it like this. Now you got me all worried. I am going to try to give it a more thorough cleaning with alcohol. Just curious, if anyone knows why it wouldn't work last night, and it works today? Is there some built in safety delay?

----------------

On 8/29/2004 9:07:58 PM elgrillo wrote:

yikes!!!! I have it plugged in right now. Looks like I just can't leave it like this. Now you got me all worried. I am going to try to give it a more thorough cleaning with alcohol. Just curious, if anyone knows why it wouldn't work last night, and it works today? Is there some built in safety delay?

----------------

Long story short, I once put a couple of Jack-o-lanterns on top of my 35 inch TV, not realizing that within a few days they would begin to rot and liquify. My wife saw our TV begin to smoke so she quickly unplgged it. When she got the back of she was aghast when she saw about an 1/8 th inch of pumpkin juice at the bottom of the TV, all over the components and electronics. She maticulously cleaned every inch and then pulled out the hair dryer and dryed every inch. When she plugged it back in it worked fine and has been fine for almost 10 years now.

So, I would take it apart again and do the alcohol cleaning. Go ahead and pull out the blow dryer and make sure every inch is dry. Then, wait a few hours and plug it back in and see if it works more normally. Regardless if it does or not, I would still baby the unit and then possily replace it when I got the opportunity.

Hopefully the sodium level of your juice was low, so no actual shorts were done. Water alone is a horrible conducter, but when there is enough voltage(which there wouldn't have been) or sodium, watch out. Be sure to keep the top open for a few hours after cleaning. Any spark or heat could ignite the alcohol, which would be unfortunate.