Where are the BUILT-IN HDTV tuners?

kenratboy

I have been thinking about getting a TV to replace my 27" JVC - and obviously, I want 16:9 and HDTV resolution, but I also want a built-in HD tuner. I live at home and I just want to get The Simpson's and that sort of stuff for free. However, I work in electronics and am seeing new TV's coming in all the time. For my budget, I am probably going to stick with a 34" tube TV. I am fond of Samsung (and the discount!), but they made it up to a 30" with built-in HD. Toshiba just came out with a new line of 16:9 tubes, but no HD built-in. Obvious, watching a DVD would be nice on any of these sets.

When can we expect to start seeing more TV's with built-in HD tuners? Is it a cost issue, or is it something else? I know all of them will have it at some point, but when? I am talking about hi-end $1000-1500+ tube TV's. Not cheap junk.

Reason for lack of built in tuners:

COST...

Most Cable companies force subscribers to get their HD Set Top Box (STB) to view HD programming...so the built in tuner is now unused....

Same thing for Satelite TV.....

So the TV manufacturers figure why add a few hundred dollars to price tag of TV when peeps will be getting HDTV STB from their cable company or satelite provider....

The ones that do have the built in tuner tend to be the top of line models and have the HDTV tuner built in with a DirecTV tuner built in as well.....

Actually the newer line of Sonys and a few other manufacturers are coming out with DCR (Digital Cable Ready) TVs which have the cable card. Bascailly allows you to receive HD programming from the cable company but without using the box. The only downfall is the fact that there isnt a way to watch PPV or On Demand with it. So if your a PPV watcher you will always have to have a box. Also the Sonys have the built in over the air tuner too. I think the line is called the XS series. Looks pretty good and preforms well from what I hear.

I don't think a FP would be practical for my needs.

To make it clear, I live at home and have a 13' X 13'6 room, and I watch TV fairly casually, again, Simpson's and all that stuff. DVD's occasionally. The last thing I want is to worry about light control, lamps, etc.

However, when I get out of college and make some cash, it will be game on!!!

As for the Simpson's - right now, I have some amplified rabbit ears that give me poor quality, and if I ever want to put on another channel, I have to fiddle with the antenna for a while - not cool.

As for burning up a HDTV for the Simpson's - yes, partly, but also so when I watch a DVD like LOTR on a 27" TV with a movie that is 2.35:1, I get more than a 8" strip of picture 9.gif