klipsch for Car stereo

savatage

I think i speak for everyone when i say that klipsch is one of, if not THE leading maker in audio products.

one question though...why not car audio? i think klipsch should branch off into car audio so we can all experience the same great audio we get in our home theater and computer speaker systems

Haha, don't mean to be mean, but I think the dude who installed a 2.1 Promedia system in his car was pretty lame. I mean ok, he's got the installation skills, I'll give him that, but come on...computer speakers in your car? I'm sorry, but that just ain't gonna fly in the car audio world.

As far as the notion of Klipsch enterting the car audio industry, that might be pretty sick. Although they'd probably have to change their whole design of mid-range and tweeter, since Klipsch's are known to be "in your face," but that's assuming you're listening to your speakers a good ways away. "In your face" sound probably wouldn't be so orgasm-inducing if they were 2 feet from your ears, and literally in your face.

I use all Klipsch speakers in my car stereo setup.

4 ProMedia 4.1 satellites & a KSW-10" subwoofer speaker in a custom box powered by 2 car amps (Kicker and Precision Power, 1 for the sats @ 40W RMS, 1 for the sub @ 200W RMS). Head unit is an iRiver CD/MP3 player. I also put a headphone amp btw the head unit and the amps to compensate for low output from the cd player.

In my opinion, the system sounds great!

The ProMedia satellites are rated @ 4 Ohms, which is perfect for car audio. One of the Klipsch writeups on the guy who put a 4.1 in his SUV said a friend just removed the speaker plate from the sats and mounted them in the doors and stuff. I tried the original setup of a complete 4.1 ProMedia powered by a 1000 Watt inverter, but the sub/amp died after a couple of months (presumably due to depending on the on/off nature of the inverter when I engaged the ignition, and not using the on/off switch on the control pod...). So I replaced the 4.1 sub/amp with real car amps and a better sub. Glad I did.

The front speakers are mounted w/ velcro on the dash of my truck. Rears are mounted above the rear window.

That said, I think Klipsch would have a great market with car speakers...

/Ken

Well since we're on the subject, does anybody here have a nice auto sound system? If so, please list it so that we may all enjoy. I'll begin, and hopefully I'm on the only one!

Alpine IVA-C800 LCD headunit

Alpine DVD navigation unit

Audio Control Three.1 Equalizer

4 Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 component mids and tweeters

2 Aluminum 15" Eclipse Subwoofers in a sealed enclosure

Xtant 1001dx Amp, putting 500 watts x 2

Xtant 604dx Amp, putting 75 watts x 4

2 Scoche Lightning stiffening capacitators

Pheonix Gold wiring all the way around

Optima Deep Cycle Yellow Top battery

Well I will chime in with my current modest system, I used to have much more elaborate setup's when I competed in IASCA in '95/'96 now it is strictly for my listening pleasure.

Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit (This thing is awesome!)

Orion XTR-450 50W X 4

Orion XTR-2150 150 X 2 (running @ 2 Ohm Stereo 300W X 2 or 150W per coil)

2- Orion NTense NT2 Cast Frame 10" DVC's in a 3/4" HDF sealed enclosure

Cerwin Vega CS-18A Cast Frame 6x9's with resetable bullet horn tweeters (rare!) (Reck Deck) (with AFS Kriket enclosures behind them)

Morel Integra 5's (Front Dash)

Wired with all Orion wire, power and speakers.

Stinger Dream Series interconnects

This setup is in my back and forth to work car and sounds awesome! The Orion XTR amps are clean and clear and I got them cheap as compared to what they cost new.

The 7998 I picked up on sale from Crutchfield of all places for $399 half it's regular sale price of $799. The 7998 has it all, no need for any additional processors or crossovers! I got the dual NT2 10's on eBay with the enclosure for $100, the subs alone were $350 apiece new. I got it shipped to me for $40 Fedex Ground. I found the rare CV HED CS-18A's on eBay for like $40 the pair, CV puts out nothing like these things today. Cast aluminum frames, 8lb magnets, coated woven material surrounds, and a resetable circuit breaker on a bullet horn tweeter incorporated into a solib metal grill. These 6x9's can generate some bass. The Morel Integra 5's have a 3" Hexatech voice coil and the dome tweeter is smooth and clean sounding.

I appreciate good sound in my automobile and can turn it up at will which is nice.

I have been around car systems for 30 years, back when I had a Pioneer 10 Stations 8-track player, a Clarion 100EQB 5 band powered equalizer and Jensen Triaxials, my how times have changed over the years.

Yes klipsch would have to make new designs for speakers, but i think it would be well worth it, the market for car audio is IMHO alot larger than the home/theater/computer audio market. I for one would put all klipsch in my car...if they actualy made speakers for them

Michael - hahaha, "for motivation." yeah, i'm sure she'd appreciate it greatly, and show you her appreciation in a VERY nice way that evening.

Frzinvt - if that's what you call a "modest" system, then whoa...stop the presses...I wanna know what you used to have when you competed! But I hear you about needing a nice audio system in the ride...makes the drive in the car (where we spend about 30% of our lives) soooo much more enjoyable. It's like pringles chips. Once you have a nice system, you simply can't go back. And every car you buy from now on MUST have a sound system.

Savatage - interesting that you point out the car audio industry is bigger than the home/computer audio insdustry? I've never given that any thought. Wonder if it's true?

----------------

On 9/9/2004 1:29:03 AM nicholtl wrote:

Well since we're on the subject, does anybody here have a nice auto sound system? If so, please list it so that we may all enjoy. I'll begin, and hopefully I'm on the only one!

{ snip - nice system listing }

----------------

Okay, I might as well join the fun and list my modest little system:

In the car:

Alpine CDA-9820XM head unit (with built-in XM Radio tuner)

Front - One pair of MBQuart Premium 6.5 inch components

Rear - One pair of MBQuart Reference components

One 12 inch JL Audio W3 sub in a sealed box

JL Audio 500.5 Amp to power the whole system.

May not put out as much SPL's as some systems, but man, does it friggan sound awesome!

In the truck:

Clarion DB135 Headunit (nice little unit for only $100)

Single pair of Boston Acoustic CX4e speakers (only paid $9 for these)

Single 10" JL Audio W0 subwoofer in a sealed cabinet

Alpine 375 watt amp to power everything.

A decent sounding setup, although I may consider putting 6.5 inch components, to get better mid-range out of the system. That would require modifying the door panels to get them fit. At least I was able to get the above to fit without having to mod anything. The only reason I bothered was because the crappy Sony system that was in there before pretty much gave up the ghost.

About the comment about the car audio being bigger than home/theater audio. I would not be surprised. Whenever I mention audio, people than start asking me about car audio. Also, I would not be surprised if majority of audio that people listen to are in thier cars.

I know numerous people that have some totally kick-@$$ car setups, but I ask about thier home setups, it is usually some chinzty little boom-box or HTiB setup. A couple of my friends proudly mentioned thier Bose systems.

I mentioned that not only do I have the nice system in my car, but I have a very nice home audio to one dude and he said, "Oh man, you must have Bose!". Both I and the saleman, who was standing right next to me, told him I got something even nicer - Klipsch. He came back with, "No way! I thought Bose was the best there was!" I responded, "If you hear my home setup, you'll find out real quick that Bose is not anywhere near the top!" I even offered to let him follow me to my house and let him listen, but he declined.

think about it....go to any college (just for example) and almost everyone has alot of money dumped into there car's system...drive down the road and you hear them all the time. yes the home audio is a big group but think about how manny people have cars and dont watch a lot of TV or use computers much...but there always driven around

Very true, dude. I just graduated from USC, and lemme tell ya...did we all have systems! Heck, here in LA especially, everyone and their momma drives around bumping something, whether it's rap, rock, or marilyn manson goth. However, that being said, a lot - and I DO MEAN A LOT - of people's auto systems are the equivalent of HTIB setups. They buy very cheap components, subs, 3rd or 4th hand underpowered amps, hook it all up with the cheapest wire the installer offers, connect it all to their stock head unit, and voila! A "sound system." So all in all, while more people probably have car systems than home systems, I'd say 80% of the car systems (out here in LA, or Cali, for that matter) kinda suck.

----------------

On 9/6/2004 9:13:54 PM marksdad wrote:

i remember this topic about 1 1/2 years ago... cool memory huh. search the archives, it should still be out there lurking
12.gif

----------------

Lol and I think the sane people replied the first time around. BTW, Klipsch did technically sell car audio at one point as they bought (and since resold) PYLE *shudders* 14.gif The Promedia probably sound better...

----------------

On 9/10/2004 1:25:25 AM nicholtl wrote:

... here in LA especially, everyone and their momma drives around bumping something...

----------------

In this part of this country... most (but not all) people drive their car stock till something dies. Windows are rolled up 75% of the year, winter tires on steel rims for 35% of the year, and universities are filled with subway travelers... given how difficult and expensive parking is.

Home audio and HT is definitely more popular here.

Later..

Rob