Purchase New K-horns or Used????

tidmack

Hey all:

I have a fairly unique "problem." I work in sales part time at a local home store that sells an enormous amount of Klipsch. I have an opportunity to purchase new K-horns at a good price. I've been a die-hard lover of my AA x-over, alnico driven LaScalas for about 5 years. I have another pair of 'Scalas with AL's and the difference between the AA's and AL's was remarkable. So much so that I now fitted my other pair with AA's too.

I won't have a chance to hear the new K-horns before I buy. Let's put the cost difference between new and old aside and let's assume that resale will never occur. My question is: will I enjoy new K-horns as much as K-horns with AA's and Alnico drivers? Lastly, is MDF a better product than the plywood used on late '70s-early '80s Khorns? Will new Khorns hold up as well as a vintage pair? All/any input is appreciated. If Kelly's still around, I'd especially like his input on the build quality issue. Thanks!!

Jeff

Will I enjoy new K-horns as much as K-horns with AA's and Alnico drivers?

Klipsch is back to using the Atlas driver for the midrange. Though not fitted with alnico, it is essentially the same driver. I've seen the curves comparing the K-55-V and K-55-X, and I personally don't see anything getting all worked up over. If you buy new, and decide you just HAVE to have the alnico drivers, you can always pick them up off of eBay on the cheap. There is 1.5db difference between the K-55-V and K-55-X, but I think the slight reduction in output is due as much to the additional losses inherent with the use of the AK-4 crossover as much as anything related to the drivers themselves. At any rate, 1.5db isn't much to get worked up over either. Now, as an owner of 2003 Klipschorns, and based on things I've read by others who have actually heard both new and vintage in decent setups -- the new Klipschorn has a smoother response. I think Delgado threw caution to the wind and put everything he knew into them. The AK-4 Klipschorn is killer, and I enjoy mine immensely.

Lastly, is MDF a better product than the plywood used on late '70s-early '80s Khorns?

Keep in mind that the only parts of the new Klipschorn using MDF are the parts with veneer on them -- the majority of the build is with 1/2" 7-ply Baltic Birch. I've moved mine all over the room while doing mods, and they seem solid enough to me. I would imagine if you don't roll them down the stairs they'll still be around in 50 years just like the rest of them. Those who really understand wood, and work with it all of time -- still think the vintage Klipschorns are better built. I think it's a matter of degrees, and I think it's splitting hairs. At any rate, I figure if they ever fall apart (not likely) -- Klipsch will take care of me. From a sonic perspective, I think the MDF motorboard is great. It adds mass and density -- and the bass is rock solid and well defined. The use of MDF here was actually one of the reasons I decided to go new. I just think it's a better material for big drivers that move a lot of air.

There are only a handful here truly qualified to render a valid opinion related to build -- he certainly isn't one of them. Of couse, neither am I. I just know from the DIY projects I've done that if you use enough screws, nails, and glue -- it ain't never coming apart, and I don't think it matters much what you build them with.

Dean and Bob-

Thanks for the info on the K-55X, I was unaware of the similarities to the older K-55's. I also appreciate your input regarding MDF and its use. I am happy to hear that birch plywood is also being used in the construction process.

I definitely didn't mean anything negative toward Kelly (HDBR builder). As a former employee, I used to enjoy his stories regarding the various woods used over the years.

Others who have played around with new k-horns with cabinetry experience, what do you think about the construction? My concern comes from a select few who swear that the new horns are poorly built. Because I don't have the means to check out a new pair myself, I'm trying to get a concensus (sp?) from the board. Thanks again!

Jeff

Dean,

I haven't had a K-55X apart, but if it is indeed the same as the Atlas equivalent, I know that the Atlas has an alnico magnet. I have lots of the new Atlas drivers. I don't think getting alnico magnets is difficult any more, just more expensive than ceramic.

Bob

----------------

On 9/6/2004 1:20:55 PM tidmack wrote:

I definitely didn't mean anything negative toward Kelly (HDBR builder). As a former employee, I used to enjoy his stories regarding the various woods used over the years.

----------------

Thanks for clearing that up. Andy, not Kelly, is HDBR Builder. Now your request makes perfect sense.

Hi,

You can buy used Klipschorns for around 1500.00 - 2000.00 everyday on Ebay. Because they are such a heavy speaker and usually bought by high-end buyers it's my experience that they tend to stay in better shape then say a Heresy that can be moved rather easily.

My K-Horns are from the 50's and they look and play like new. I personally don't like MDF because it is not as strong as ply, is more prone to moisture problems and chips easier. However, if you can get new for around 2-3k then your deciscion is a difficult one. I would love to hear a new K-horn next to my old dogs.

If you are getting the new at or close to dealer costs, it is not even a question. Build quality is either superior for the old, or uniformly excellant for the new, other than the crossovers looking slapped together on one or two examples.

They paid attention to some of the cottage industry improvements, and in a tip of the hat, have implemented some of the design elements. You can't lose either way.1.gif