Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Sept. 6

thebes

Once again I'm back with our ongoing effort to share music with all our friends on the forum.

Guildelines are simple: name of singer/group, name of alblum, type of alblum (cd,lp etc.) genre as best you can (ie jazz,rock etc.)

Don't be relucant to offer up a few words and back and forth is also welcome.

I'll start things going with:

Tower of Song, Songs of Leonard Cohen, various artists, cd, rock

A tribute album to Canada's finest singer/poet it's well recorded and features artists such as Don Henley,Elton John, Billy Joel, Tori Amos, Sting with the Chieftans, Susan Vega, Bono and Willie Nelson. I'm not a great fan of tribute albums but in this case, with the exception of a couple of cuts this cd is pure listening pleasure. With respectful and intriguing renditions of the poetic work of a master. Don Henley's version of "Everybody Knows" alone is worth the price of the cd.

My recommedation would be...

Al DiMeola, Flesh on Flesh, on Telarc SACD, Latin influenced Jazz guitar. Excellent, clean recording with great dynamics. Definitely listen to the 5.1 surround version if you have the setup, but the high-res stereo version sounds great as well.

http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=3543

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2809568

Ok Thebes, I'll bite, I just LOVE free stuff and love to share music info (I'm getting worn out talking hardware)

This weeks' fave CD of mine is one I picked up in NYC's Times Square Virgin Records. They have about a bagillion listening stations there and always the freshest music. When in NY, ALWAYS go to Virgin!

This is called Tha' Hot Club and is on Shanachie 5109. Produced by Davy D, Danny Weiss andd Kim Waters.

It is described on cover as real hip-hop smooth urban Jazz. Allow me to explain. Take top hip-hop groovin songs like Crazy in Love by Beyonce, reproduce without the vocals, but sultry sax in it's place, with plenty of thumpin bass. Do this with other songs like Hot in Heere (take off all my clothes), Frontin, Shake ya Tailfeather and you get the hint. It's hip-hop party muzak for adults. Everyone I've played this for loved it, from 18 year old cheerleaders, to 45 year old housewives!

record label is www.chanachie.com. Without breaking copyright (I'm a photographer) I would be willing to play a few snippets over the phone if anyone is interested.)

Michael

Arthur you hit the 666 number today, be very careful on your next post.

btw nice game you've started here Thebes. Thanks. My guess is that audio people may not get here often as I myself use the 'back' arrow which usually only takes you back to Home Audio Forum group, and you don't even see the DVD/CD listings. Got to go back HOME.

My new CD is by a band called Blackfield. This is a collaboration between Steven Wilson and Israeli singer-songwriter Aviv Geffen. Any of you that follwed my thread on Porcupine Tree know that Steve Wilson is the man behind Porcupine Tree. This collaboration has produced some outstanding prog rock music. You can go to Blackfield's web site for mp3 samples to get a taste of there stuff.

http://www.blackfield.org/

My recommendation for this week (although I didn't have any the last couple of weeks)

Timo Kotipelto's solo album Coldness. This is in the power/progressive metal catagory.

Timo Kotipelto is/was the lead singer for Stratovarious, arguably one of the best power/prog metal bands that has been around in recent years. Unfortunatly, there seems to be rumours that Stratovarious is/will be no more (at least with the lineup they had since 1989). Timo decided to do his own albums, and Coldness is his second effort (Waiting for the Dawn is his first effort, wich is also good). I happen to like Coldness much better than his first one, though. Track #2 - "Reasons" is just friggan awesome, with great vocals and a great bass line. The only gripe I have is that the album is only 10 tracks with a total running time of around 45 minutes. There are some "video enhancement" features that can be viewed with a computer, though. Also, nothing truly "epic" in nature, like is found on some Stratovarious albums, either. Still, an excellent album by a very talented vocalist.

Yep, if I cannot get any more albums from Stratovarious, I'll have to take the next best thing and get the lead vocalist's solo albums.

----------------

On 9/6/2004 7:22:43 PM filmboydoug wrote:

I just picked up and recommend Both Century Child and Waterborn by Nightwish.

Think of a progressive version of Evanescence with a better singer, and the songs don't all sound the same.

----------------

Do you mean Oceanborn instead of "Waterborn"? Anyway, great stuff isn't it? I would highly recommmend getting Once, also by Nightwish. Excellent album.

Can I 'double-dip' Thebes? here goes anyway, second nomination for great CD goes to the 2nd Carlos Santana 'plays with everyone in the world' called Shaman. We had this on for dinner muzak the other night and it was a beautiful varied collection of tunes, just right for having the girls over for dinner. Both (mid-30's) commented on the tunes. I'm listening to it in the office right now, have it on iMac in same folder grouping as the 2-cd Essential Santana for a mix with the oldies.

CAUTION: the Shaman CD has some special PC files on it, I could not load the CD directly into my iMac, wouldn't even play. But I did a run-around by recording CD to PC, burning a new disc, inserting that in iMac, and could then copy/manipulate the songs in my jukebox. I use iMac hooked up to a Yamaya RX596 2ch receiver and 2 Dahlquist speakers for my home office (probably 90% of my listening).

DO I WIN, DO I WIN, DO I WIN, DO I WIN??????

I guess I need to post my recommendation here:

The Radiators - Earth Vs. The Radiators: The First 25 ( DVD)

This is a great DVD filled with more than 2 hours of live footage from the 25th anniversary concerts at Tipitina's, New Orleans, featuring The Radiators, in January 2004. This DVD is highly recommended since it features the band in their natural element, which is playing music LIVE (similar to say, the way Grateful Dead live concert experience differed from their studio efforts).

Category: Music & Concert

Sub Genre: Rock And Roll, Blues, Music (General), Blues Music, Music.

Some call this music Fishhead Music, which describes the funky, swampy, rock'n'roll style that makes this band special. Their proposensity to improvise and sheer talent make this one of the hottest touring bands in the country, and a must see live.

Very nice sound Dolby surround sound and amazingly crisp video!

Guests include Gregg Allman, Mark Mullins, Karl Denson, and George Porter.

Duration: 148 mins

To order, go to http://www.rads25.com/

For more information on the Radiators, check out http://www.theradiators.org.

I'd recommend this even if I didn't have a chance to win a T shirt

/Ken

I've been wearing out these 2 CDs by Susumu Yokota for a few weeks now. One album is titled Grinning Cat(2001) and the other is The Boy And The Tree(2002). Reminds me of maybe Irresistible Force meets Keiichi Suzuki(he's the guy who produced the classic Satellite Serenade record) and The Orb. Both are on the Leaf label. He uses a lot of weird disjointed loops that at first listen don't seem to go together but it all comes together quite nice before too long. http://theleaflabel.com/ Go to the audio portion and he's got lots of samples on numbers 42, 43, 44 & 45. Sorry I forgot how to html that there link.

It's been awhile since I have been on the forum so I will give it a shot. But I think Thebes you already bought this one. Gov't Mule deepest end. Two live cd's and a live dvd. Just plain awesome and you get to see them jam on dvd. I would say rock, jazz, blues up to a couple redone Black Sabbath tunes. cds and dvd for around 24 bucks. Go buy and it and really enjoy!

Last weekend I went to see Michael Kelsey at a bar called Birdy's. He won the guitar player of the the year in a contest through The Guitar Center.. So think about it, probbaly 10k people nationwide tried to show their stuff at the local music stores... those winners moved on and sent their tapes in, the top people flown to do their thing.....in front of a very large audience and he won.

Check out Michaelkelsey.com and see/hear for yourself.

I bought all the cd's and dvd's he had. Just amazing!

Here is the winning video too. Gotta see this:

http://guitarcenter.com/guitarmageddon/video2004.cfm

Sorry Indy, checked out the video- points for banging on the coustic, but -10 for originality.

Atfirst I was gonna say he sounds like ex-Dixie Dregs Steve Morse, who is now with Deep Purple. On the 'Live Abandon Australia 99' double CD (and subsequent American Tour which I saw) Steve did this EXACT solo, interspersing fingerboard tapping with snippets from Jimi, Pagey, VH, Kinks, etc super guitarists to show off his multi talented 6-string prowess. I believe it's on disc 2 intro to Smoke on the Water and it's about two minutes long. So Michael didn't come up with this.

I'll play it for ya next time you come over. But congrats on gettin on stage with those golden pipes of yours at Birdy's Bloomington- sure THAT was a good time.

yer bud, Michael

Great suggestins this week guys, as usual. I would second Nightwish, I have Wishmaster by them. Really cool in your face music. I also second Wheelman's Gov't Mule, great rock. Both of these cd's were purchased following suggestions from forum members. Also picked up 7 new (for me) cd's this weekend basedon yourrecommendatioins. I'll have a review for you after I have listened for a while, but so far I'm not disappointed.

Keep a few bucks on hand guys, because this is the place to pick up on some serious music.

Anybody else?