life ruled by numbers??

colterphoto1

I saw a Forum buddy reach the magical post number of 666 the other day and saw that I was at 444. This rememinded me of something that comes around every so often. Is it just me, or does anyone else out there have an extraordinary amount of run ins with certain numbers. (none of these numbers was at my own choosing.

For instance:

my first car was an Olds 442

family farm off of SR 244

farm phone # was xxx-2044

new INdy address 4142

latest HT purchase- Yamaha 2400

cooincidence?!?!?!?!

Michael in the Twilight Zone

alas, I'm old enough to be at least her dad, as she reminds me constantly. She's a very capable photo assistant of mine who did HS senior pix a couple of years ago, then came back to work this year and wanted someting a bit more racy for her boyfriend's birthday.

M.

Koreans don't like the number "4". It pronounces exactly as the root Chinese word for death. Therefore there are no fourth stories in Korean buildings, they all go from 3rd to 5th floor. The Koreans WILL however pawn off phone numbers, etc. with 4's in them on foreigners to the max. Had a phone number that ended in 4144 a few years ago and made the phone office change it because I was tired of raised eyebrows when I gave it out to young ladies.

ok, I can hijack my own thread, right.

1968 Olds 442 which was 400 cu in, 4 bbl carb, 2 exhaust STOCK from factory. Black vinyl of gold/green metallic paint. I upgraded to air shocks in back, 70 series all way round and the famous Craig 'powerplay' cassette deck (under dash of course) and the infamous fuzzy carpet on dash and rear deck. Used to cruise in that baby, I can tell you. Fond memories of 4 friends age 16 driving on foggy night to Ft. Wayne IN (about 2 hour cruise) to our first concert YES Relayer tour!

I would have given the Mustang a run for it's money unless it was highly modified.

Michael

Thanks for story Sarge. Reminds me of our Boy Scout Voyager (canoe) program code word. When a canoe capsized or got in trouble, you were supposed to yell "forty-four" instead of help as an indicator of Voyager in Trouble. Don't know why.

I guess the fact that 44 has followed me around must be an Ozzy omen that maybe I'm doomed somehow. It has been a rocky journey and some of the young gals I've photographed have about teased me to heart attack. Better slow down I guess.

M

----------------

On 9/7/2004 12:25:20 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Thanks for story Sarge. Reminds me of our Boy Scout Voyager (canoe) program code word. When a canoe capsized or got in trouble, you were supposed to yell "forty-four" instead of help as an indicator of Voyager in Trouble. Don't know why.

I guess the fact that 44 has followed me around must be an Ozzy omen that maybe I'm doomed somehow. It has been a rocky journey and some of the young gals I've photographed have about teased me to heart attack. Better slow down I guess.

M

----------------

Codewords are usually a military solution to avoid giving an adversary information. Doesn't always work so well, though. When I was stationed at Ramstein AB (Germany) in the Cold War 80's all of our walkie-talkie communications concerning aircraft maintenance and operations were "coded".

Sometime around 1988 we were briefed that the German Kriminalpolizei had busted a Polish agent in a village adjacent to the airfield. His room had not only a radio transceiver tuned to our freq's but extensive personal information about individuals working the flightline, apparently all gleaned from our chatter!

Later on there was a flap about a Czech woman who was discovered in the junior enlisted barracks. She had gotten on base surreptitiously and stayed on by moving around. When the investigators asked her how she did it, she pointed to various room doors and answered "I slept with that guy, then that guy. then that guy over there....."

Nice/Strange thing about getting older is that when I do/say stuff to women that used to get me slapped, the response now is "You're so cute/funny/terrible!"

Does this mean I never grew up? 6.gif

My adress and phone number was like that where I grew up.

Address: 1627

Phone: XXX-2761

Then there's the names. Last name is pronounced BLAZING and yet my father was a firefighter and I was a Class 1 firearms dealer.

I'd love to have all the old cars that used to be in my life:

67', 69', 72', 73', 83', 86', 87' Charger (80's models in Shelby guise and turbo'ed when available)

70' Superbird

Omni GLH (year not certain)

69' Mach I

421 Catalina (year not certain)

70' Chavelle SS (396)

71' RoadRunner (yes, it was purple)

69' Cougar (grandmother's but it flew)4.gif4.gif

94' Talon

I want the Superbird!! P L E A S E !!!!! 8.gif

Very nice car, haven't seen one on the road for maybe ten years now, someone had one behind my high school back in maybe 74(?) and it was one of the instrumental cars in my then budding love/hate relationship with cars.

Of course, the others you listed were quite nice, too. Had a buddy in high school that had a 68 or 69 Cougar with the 427 Cobra Jet, had a little extra stuff here and there, went like a raped ape, whooped all over my 73 Camaro LT with some goodies thrown under the hood.

----------------

On 9/9/2004 7:30:35 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

I want the Superbird!! P L E A S E !!!!!
8.gif

----------------

Speakin' of Camaro's listen to this.

I went to high school in the same town that built every Z28 (Norwood, Ohio-- o.k. o.k. it's Cincinnati). In high school

I took the vocational Auto Mechanics classes. The GM plant in Norwood donated about 3 or 4 brand new Z28's to the Cincinnati Public Schools. Our school got one of them. It was in 1972. I got there in 80'. Part of the cariculum was that the teacher would hand you the distributor, a timing light and a socket set, "Now, time it." That wasn't a problem for most of us.

The car was delivered by truck to one of the colleges across town and driven to my school, where the seriel number on the dashboard was removed via breaking the windshield and parked for all eternity.......with 14.2 miles on it.

They put a pad lock on the hood because...well...some guys would kill for a GM stock high rise intake and other stuff for a small block.

Fast forward few years and computer controlled cars are getting to be the norm. Not much use teachin' kids about a car who's technology is getting long in the grill.

One of my classmates was absolutley ape sh!t over Camaros and had a few of his own already. After some serious negotiations and a ton of money they sold him the car. Original Oval Wide tires, motor oil and everything else. The build sheet was still under the driver's bucket seat that still had the shipping plastic over it. He found an NOS windshield and somehow had another s/n plate made for the dash (I bet THAT wasn't legal).

The car still sits in his garage on jack stands with about 20 miles on it. In some Mid-Night Bronze color.

I'm sworn to secrecy as to the address of it's home or it's owners name.3.gif