need help new svs has very little sound

firefighter

Just bought the pb1-isd unpacked it and plugged it into the same cable that I had the boston pv600 connected to and had no sound at all, checked all cable and power connections they were good, rechecked all my reciever settings they were all the same as before. After about 20 min. of messing with things there was a small amount of sound comming from the sub, I then brought it downstairs and hooked it to another surround reciever and had the same results. I took it back upstairs and connected it to my main system and let it play for about 2 hours with no change. Listening to finding nemo when Darla taps on the aquarium I get more of a low rumble instead of a hard pound as I did with the boston. I am sure the svs is in a whole different class than the boston and could out pound it like no tomorrow but it's not happening, it's only been about 2 weeks without a sub but I didn't change anything on the reciever so I should have been able to make a single sub cable connection, power it up, and start playing. I was told by Eric from svs that tech support is handled through email not over the phone, I'm not too happy about getting support through email, I would much rather talk to someone and work it out. If anyone can think of something that I may have overlooked or have suggestions, I sure could use the help.

Thanks Jack.

Is your gain on the SVS up,is your crossover point at 80hz or up.Play some music with plenty of bass,use the Boston first and listen(set the Boston to MAX gain and the SVS to MAX gain).

Try the Boston first,you hear overblow bass? Good,now switch to the SVS...do you hear extra overblown bass...great.Not your SVS plate amp may have a problem.

The SVS is much more capable,and should with ease out do the Boston.Make sure the SVS is in phase with the mains(play som,e material with planty O bass,listen with the sub and with no sub,switch from 0 to 180 and keep the setting where you get MOST bass)

The Ear,

thanks for the reply, I have the gain all the way up just to get it so I can hear it, I tried 1/4 gain as recomended in the owners manual and you can't hear the sub. I also tried all phase and crossover variations, no difference in volume. Unfortunatly I don't have the boston as I sold it to get the money to upgrade. Could there be anything wrong with the reciever, it seems to be sending a signal as the sub will play just no authority. When I disconnected the boston 2 weeks ago I left the other end connected to the reciever, that wouldn't have caused a problem would it?

When I disconnected the boston 2 weeks ago I left the other end connected to the reciever, that wouldn't have caused a problem would it?

Ah ha,please explain "other end connected to receiver" part.You could have a short,and the SVS is NOT the problem.

Run ONE RCA cable from the sub out to your SVS LOW LEVEN INPUT.That is all

I have called svs and the only person I get is Erik in sales, I have also tried their email address for tech support and have not gotten a reply, I tried that address twice before when looking for a sub recomendation and got no answer. I did get the recomendation from Erik but can't find a human for problems. This sub seems to be extremly well built and I am sure a correctly performing one is impressive, I just hate to get turned off on a company because of something other than product performance.

>>>I have called svs and the only person I get is Erik in sales, I have also tried their email address for tech support and have not gotten a reply, I tried that address twice before when looking for a sub recomendation and got no answer. I did get the recomendation from Erik but can't find a human for problems. This sub seems to be extremly well built and I am sure a correctly performing one is impressive, I just hate to get turned off on a company because of something other than product performance.<<<

techsupport@svsubwoofers.com

We answer 99% of emails within a few hours, 364 days a year. I'm not sure what email address you are trying, but I can assure you SVS techsupport hasn't received your emails. Please double check to make sure there aren't any typos. Thanks.

Tom V.

SVS

Tom,

I tried the tech support link on your website, when I clicked on it, it seemed to connect correctly, didn't do anything wierd. I spoke with Erik on the phone and he told me to email him and he would forward it for me, I did this at 11:45 pm. I wont be able to respond to any emails tomorrow as I will be at the fire station for 24 hours, but if you could give some help whether it be on the sub or something that I may be doing wrong, I will get on it Sunday morning when I get home.

Thanks, Jack.

----------------

On 9/10/2004 2:49:02 PM firefighter wrote:

I thought the same thing and ran another rca, I also tried the right and left independently, and the speaker input connections.

----------------

Since you don't have another sub to test if the sub output works properly... we can test your sub with another line level output. BTW what's the crossover set at?

Does your receiver have any preamp outputs? If yes... try either the left or right channel. If not, you can try the tape output (sometimes called record) direct into the sub... but be carefull as it bypasses the volume knob. Turn the sub gain all the way off... start playing something and raise it slowly.

Anything?

Rob

Formica,

THAT DID IT!!!!! I tried the right audio rca out, not the sub out and I couldn't get above 2 without waking up the whole house. I knew this sub had nuts. Now I have to figure out where the problem is. Why would I have so much more power on the audio out than the sub out? I know the sub out is controlled by the reciever volume but I shouldn't have to adjust the sub gain all the way up just to get some decent noise. When I had the audio out hooked up and the sub gain on 2 it out performed the sub out with full gain. Could there be a sub signal strength issue with the sub out? Please help I'm almost there.

Jack.

----------------

On 9/12/2004 10:31:39 AM Fish wrote:

Just so anyone that reads this in the future knows,SVS really cares and will help anyway they can.This is a company that stands behind their products 100%,they set the standard for customer care.

----------------

Fish,

Thats is what I am counting on, after all that is why I went with SVS. I trust the advice of this forum as we share a common bond with our klipsch speakers and I believe that alone will compel us to look out for each others best interest.

As for the performance of the sub, it finally seems to be performing more to my expectations, I still don't know if it is performing properly because it took 4 days to get to this level, I feel it should have played the first time I hooked it up like it is playing now, the fact that no sound at all came out when I made the original connection, ( which is how it is connected now, rca sub out ), leaves this particular amp in question. If it is man made it is subject to failure, I am very understanding of this and that bears no weight to the quality of the sub, the problem I have now is getting some one on one with SVS. Once we get this email issue resolved I'm sure we will be able to make some progress. It's nice to see Tom V. visiting this site and keeping his finger on the pulse, the fact that he replied to my concerns shows he cares about service after the sale, it's also good to know an owner of the company, not just anyone is aware of the problem and is concerned enough to get involved. I will be here waiting to hear from Tom when they get the address fixed, even if they can't get it fixed in a timely maner, Tom doesn't seem to be the type to just leave ya hangin. Looking forward to being a happy SVS customer.

Jack.

On my older Yamaha RXV850 (pro logic only) there is almost no output to the sub 200Hz RCA jack if you are in normal stereo mode. In any other surround mode, there is plenty, although it varies. I consider this a design flaw. Why would you balance a system for HT or 2 Ch only to have the sub either die or blow you away when you switch surround modes. I know you want to use the sub out, so the line level follows the volume control and the rest of the system, so plug back into normal sub out and switch modes as a trial.

Sure hope my new RXV2400 doesn't exhibit this characteristic.

Colterphoto1,

I have it connected to the rca sub out and it seems to have plenty of power, I never had any problems with the boston sub on the rca sub out, I don't think it's the reciever as the svs didn't play at all the first time I connected it and only got to this performance level after about 4 days. Slowly it has gained power as time went on, it seems to be an issue with the amp, I could be wrong, I'm new to all of this, the only thing I have going is some common sense, not much HT knowledge, thats why I'm here, to learn.

Thanks, jack.