pHEnomIC69

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/16/2004 11:04:15 PM Piranha wrote:

Hi Larry,

Given your medical status as you have described above, do you listen to music mainly in mono?

----------------

True monaural, eh? But I can quickly tell mono from stereo. I can't explain it, but I can hear a stereo effect, probably when I move my head/ear position even slightly. (I suspect the ear-brain computer can interpret time or phase differentials as left-right.) I do have to turn my head from side to side to get some idea of what's left and what's right, though. I'm not able to localize where a sound or voice comes from until I can get a visual fix on the person or source -- if someone calls to me, I have to look around until I see where he or she is. A hearing aid would do me no good, because what little I can hear on the left is very distorted and garbagey.

Fortunately, my right ear hearing is still quite good, and thank heavens the Meniere's hasn't gone there! I can get a fair sense of dimensionality, i.e., the size -- breadth and depth -- of soundstage, and a large soundstage is very helpful to me in hearing musical detail (I think the same is true with normal hearing). Clarity of reproduction has become even more important to my enjoying music because I can hear more detail and subtlety.

So, Piranha, if this is more than you were asking, the short answer is, no, I don't and wouldn't want to listen in mono. My preamp is too limited to have that switch anyway!

Larry