I played with another mans sweetie today

wrench_peddler

A couple of weeks ago, Trey was looking for someone to help out with a Klipschorn owner of early 70's Cornerhorns. I went today and played with his system. He had a problem with the right channel not working but his wife dusted and cleaned behind the speakers before I got there and they fixed themselves. :-) The wires were 30+ years old. I loosened up all the connections to the crossovers and the spring loaded mid-drivers. I De-Oxit treated them all and tightened them all back up. He had, prior to my arrival, changed out the Yamaha he had driving them to an old McIntosh 4100 that had been in the bottom of a closet for about 10 years. He had offered it to his daughter years ago and she told him that she didn't want that old junk. :-{ The Yamaha was scratchy sounding as he put it, so I De-oxit'd the controls and told him that, if it were me, I would leave the Mc in service and put the Yamaha in the closet instead. The Mac sounded great except for a little scratching in the EQ knobs. A few turns in both directions fixed that well enough that I didn't have to take it apart to lube the knobs. I really didn't want to fix something that wasn't broken. He had a Nacamichi CD player that was skipping and sitting idle on the rack. I took it apart and air dusted it out. It sounded better than the Pioneer vhs/dvd player he was using. I didn't want payment since I had enjoyed the 60+ mile ride on my motorcycle to get to his house and since I don't do this for a living, just for fun. He insisted and after I named a price, he paid me double. I had heard of men paying somone to tweak their sweeties left and right knobs but never dreamed it would happen to me. Especially on a Sunday afternoon at a bank presidents house. Thanks to pimp-daddy Trey for hooking me up. It was fun. :-)

PS. he had 3/4" plywood screwed to the sides of the bass bins and stopped them at the side grills. They sounded great. The room had windows on 3 sides.

My amps could use a good cleaning. Whatcha doin' next weekend.2.gif

Just kidding. Sounds like a fun day and those acts of kindness have their own rewards. I hooked up a real nice sounding system for my 70 year old next door neighbor last week. A pair of my speakers and an HK630 that Chris King was kind enough to send me. The look on her face when we popped in that first CD was payment enough for me. I am getting a leg of lamb dinner out of it though.3.gif She insisted.2.gif

Dave:

I went to school for EE and CS and later studied business. Since the DotCom bust in Seattle, I now work for a company that manufactures nuclear steam generator inspection insturements (A/D, DSP, and heavy number cruching) and eddy current probes that operates in MHz ranges. Knowing the gravity of the work our instrumentations and probes are undertaking with the potential risk of less than perfect handling of digital and analog signals from steam generators, it blows my mind to read about some of the cable companies making claims about their cables working within the audio bandwidth... We use Belden and Alpha cables, nothing fancy, to keep the most of the nuclear steam generators around the world operating properly.

Ki