Adcom amps

tmilam

I dunno specifically about that model, but I had always heard Adcom amps were a little harsh sounding in the upper octaves and upper mid-bass. Good power, but musicality was a little suspect.

Some good alternatives would be Parasound, Rotel, Aragon, Acurus..

Hope this helps a little.

Aragon amps with Klipsch speakers! Audition Aragon if you possibly can.

Rotel and B&W are excellent choices as well. I owned Rotel for a while and I'd buy a Rotel amp again long before Adcom. Rotel is a family owned business from the UK with a Long standing reputation for quality; they also have an excellent warranty: 5 years parts and labor if you buy from an authorized dealer.

Well, the reason that I was asking is because I would like to get a 200 wpc 3 channel amp, but they are rarely found in my price range. I really don't want to go higher than $600 if at all possible, and this was an opportunity to get one. But I want it to sound right. I have hardwood floors and a lot of drywall in my HT/living room and I would rather have a smoother/warmer sounding amp to couple with these speakers. I have seen some Acurus amps in this price range with 200 wpc/3channels--how do they measure up on the whole with these speakers?

nothing wrong with the "newer" Adcom, North American owned again. I ran an Adcom GFA-585LE, GFA-545II, and GFA-535, through a set of Klipschorns and Hersey II's, the 585LE was sweet with my KHorns..10.gif

May be called the cheapmans hifi, but it sounds fine to me and above average, plus I noticed a couple of years back Pics from Hope, AK and Klipsch with Adcom power and Monstercable and Khorns, actual pics from the first trip to Klipsch(Hope, members posted).....PWK can't be that wrong...10.gif

PS. Additional Adcom products owned: GTP500II, GCD750, GCD500(5 disk),

ACE-515 Enhancer, G? speaker selector box 3 sets.

I liked the product with no complaints...10.gif

I agree with Mike, however -- better gear does make a huge difference too.

Since you haven't jumped on the gear merry-go-round yet, you should take his advice seriously and do some things with the room first. After you get that under control -- you can work on upgrades. I have a feeling that no matter what you do with gear -- the hardwood floor and bare walls are going to kill you.