B&W 703

TonyM

How do the 703s sound. I am waiting for the new Klipsch dealer to get a RF-7 setup. I know that the B&Ws will definetly cost more, but a local shop has them and I will take a listen this week. The B&Ws are definetly sweet looking speakers.

TonyM: The B&W 703's are beautifully-looking speakers and sound really good with music. However, I prefer the RF-7's for movies as they are more responsive and dynamic. In addition to being a lot more expensive, the 703's also are power-hungry in comparison to the RF-7s and require an amplifier of considerable size. 703's were a consideration of mine until I heard the RF-7s with a movie. After that, I never considered the B&Ws again.

The one big thing I notice with B & W is that they need a dedicated amp as in seperates for the power hungry speakers. I have heard the 802's driven by a Denon 5803 and was not impressed at all. A few weeks later they had changed the set-up and powered them with seperates and utilizing a 200wpc amp. Only then did they absolutely come alive with a full, rich, detailed sound.

My take on B & W is that to get them to the "sweet spot" you have to go "all in". "All in" for me with the 802's as mains would be in the neighborhood of $22,000 list price for a 6.1 set-up. You can get about 10% off that which is still alot of money.

I came close to "pulling the trigger" last year but I am in the battle of do they sound that much better, to me, than a $6,250 referance set-up utilizing my current AVR reciever? I still have my Klipsch.

I am a huge B & W fan but a bigger fan of value and for Klipsh has more than "filled the bill".

PhilMays: I think you are right on: Before I bought my RF7s, I heard the B&W 800 series hooked up to dedicated McIntosh 250wpc amps and they sounded mighty sweet...but I just couldn't seem to get my wallet to open far enough to buy them. I have no regrets with my Klipsch. 16.gif

This is a pretty cool setup, although you need power, so be prepared. Once you have them in, you'll want for far beyond 200wpc. For sub I use the RSW-15. Had it in my previous Rf system and kept it. It matches up well with the B&W's, to my ears. In short, they will pry my RSW-15 out of my cold dead hands. I auditioned dozens of subs and never found a match for it in the same price range. I like it's musicality and ability to slam as needed on movies, but majority of my listening is music, hence my preference.

Honestly Phil, I listened to the ASW and for the dollars could not say it remarkably outperformed the RSW-15, and in fact I preferred the RSW.

As for amps, after much trial and error, Bryston, Krell, Classe....I ended up with a Sunfire Stereo Sig at 600wpc after borrowing one to audition. The sunfire sounds terrific with the Nautilus, runs cooler, is better on the bank account, and has plenty of power to spare to drive the 802's. It also presents a bit on the smooth side, which is important with the BW tweeters.