what kind of amp

jannegard1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a big fat warm 6l6 power tube sound with extended high and bottom end. I heard alot of tube guitar amps and that is the best for what I like. El34 is nice for a rolled off treble and a tight bottom without going too deep with a punchy mid. El84 is way to thin for me high end all the way. I know guitar tube amp tone pretty good and its got to carry on to stereo equipment. Am I close? Because that is right on the money with guitar amps.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 11:04:17 PM mdeneen wrote:

Uh, guys, the original poster didn't ask what amp HE should get. He just asked what amp YOU are using!

mdeneen

Oh, BTW, what would be the best car to buy?

----------------

One that dont cost much, so you can buy more audio gear!2.gif

----------------

On 9/17/2004 11:08:17 PM paulparrot wrote:

I don't know you figure the "only 4 times as loud" calculation. But even *if* that were the case, doesn't it seem like 4 times as loud would be considerably louder?

----------------

Well, 4 times is correct according to my meters. 1, 3, 30, 300 watts is 4 discrete increments of 10x IE. For example, the difference between 30 watts and 300 watts is only TWICE as loud at the ear (in electical watts here) that is 10x the electrical current*voltage used at 30 watts.

How loud does one need to go - that is, when does it become overkill? In my case, it depends on the source material. For serious stereo listening, 1 watt is absolutely PLENTY. For irritating the neighbors or for HT, the 300 watts is better. But technically, it is only TWICE as loud as 30 watts. That's the point.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 9/20/2004 12:06:31 PM D-MAN wrote:

Well, 4 times is correct according to my meters. 1, 3, 30, 300 watts is 4 discrete increments of 10x IE. For example, the difference between 30 watts and 300 watts is only TWICE as loud at the ear

----------------

Ummm... that's three increments of 10 between 0.3W and 300W or 30db difference. That would be 0.3W to 3W to 30W to 300W (note the word "TO" three times).

It is also 10 increments of 3 if you figure it that doubling the power (ie: 150W to 300W) gives a 3db difference... as it has 10 steps of double the power between 0.3W and 300W (10 x 3db = 30db)

Even though the rule of thumb of 10db is twice as loud is well accepted, I find it somewhat of a relative thing. A difference of 10db is very noticeable, and many mute buttons only cut the volume by 20db, as a reference. Kinda like saying your coffee is "twice" as sweet as mine even though I have ½ a sugar and you have two sugars. One is definitely sweeter than the other, but how much sweeter is relative.

OTH, those who argue about the differences between 110W and 90W is entirely trivial.

Rob

Ok, Ok, you caught me! It's .3 watts not 1 watt, sheesh! You guys! My meters are marked in increments of 3's (being an Mc300)... I was just rounding up for the 1 watt...

So, I SHOULD know better than to argue with less than perfect numbers - or I'll get called on the carpet -probably as it should be...

DM2.gif

----------------

On 9/20/2004 1:12:11 PM D-MAN wrote:

Ok, Ok, you caught me! It's .3 watts not 1 watt, sheesh! You guys!

----------------

It's THREE (3) steps like you originally posted as well as the 0.3W first value. I also think we are referring to the same (relative) rules of thumb using different adjectives:

Double the input power (10 to 20watts) = 3db increase in output = a noticeable change in volume

Ten times input power (10 to 100watts) = 10db increase in output = a doubling in perceived volume

BTW, I find that even a 1 @ 3db change noticeable, but not as obvious as 3db.

Just keeping you honest... 2.gif

Rob

PS: a mute button will give the following

Hundred times less input power (100 to 1watts) = 20db DEcrease in output = muting the volume