Chorus/Chorus II's

T2K

I have a pair of Chorus II's and enjoy them for 2-channel with a tube amp. I'm considering buying a pair of Chorus, because I can. Has anyone had the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparo with the two and care to comment?

Thanks for any input.

Keith

I haven't heard them.

The Chorus had a vented woofer and the Chorus II went to a passive radiator.

The Chorus had an exponential midrange and the Chorus II has a tractrix. I like the latter in my Forte II and Quartets. Both have passive radiators too.

Gil

I have the CHorus II and have heard NOSVALVES Chorus Is.

Never side by side.

Never with the same components for power and source.

Very subjective observation is maybe the CHorus I goes a few hz lower.

Chorus II seeems to be faster bass with a slight bit better detail.

I cannot make a serious recomendation but can say I will NEVER sell my Chorus IIs even when I get my Scalas, belles, or K horns in the future.

Thanks for the replys. I've had my II's for almost a year now and use them occasionally when I have the time (like today maybe). I have my KSP setup in the room with the TV and on the occasion that I use the Chorus II's I move them into 2-channel listening position, about 4' out from the front wall.

They sound great with the 222-C that Craig restored, but I have another tube integrated that I prefer. With good recordings they just pound out the bass. Very balanced sound top to bottom. As Flynn said, they'll be hard to ever let go.

Thanks for the reminder Flason. I've been trying to remember Mike's name for a couple of days now. Thought about you lately with Ivan approaching and was wondering if you got through the last 'cane, haven't noticed you posting lately.

I'm going to listen to the I's perhaps tomorrow. Maybe I can post my thoughts of the two in the near future.

Keith

Hey Keith, The only storm that was a pain to us here was Frances. We went without power for around 4 hours. I'm grateful that's all we were out. A lot lost some and some lost all, so I feel very fortunate. Still looking for that 2 channel nirvana. I want that tube sound I get from the Scott 299C with the sheer balls of the Onkyo M504. There's got to be something out there.

Gil is correct about the difference between the Chorus I and II. The II digs a bit deeper, 39Hz vs 45Hz for the Chorus I. I attribute that to the passive radiator in back, though I could be wrong.

I haven't heard from Mike Lindsey in a while; I bought his set of Chorus IIs and really enjoy them. I don't remember which set he liked better, I or II, but he sold me the IIs as he said he would be able to get more money for them, and the exponential horns of the I matched what he was keeping. I did get them for a fair price.

Both are great speakers, but I'd lean towards the II, though I have never A/B the two together.

Thanks again for the input. I picked up the Chorus Sunday. The original owner took good care of them. They are black lacquer, 1989.

Wired them to the 222-C that night and played music that I was very familiar with. I do not really have the room for various placement positions so I haven't tried that yet. I immediately thought and still think the I's do not have the low end extension of the II's. Could be placement out from rear wall, who knows.

Anyway, they're great speakers for the cost of a pair of used Heresy's and I'm happy with them. Got to do a little reading about the differences of the exponential/tractrix mid horns (unless Gil wants to save me the time 2.gif ), there does seem to be a difference, other than that its time to do some listenin'. I'll try tp post my thoughts later.

Keith

----------------

On 9/18/2004 1:44:52 PM Flason wrote:

Hey Keith, The only storm that was a pain to us here was Frances. We went without power for around 4 hours. I'm grateful that's all we were out. A lot lost some and some lost all, so I feel very fortunate. Still looking for that 2 channel nirvana. I want that tube sound I get from the Scott 299C with the sheer balls of the Onkyo M504. There's got to be something out there.

----------------

Nice to be lucky, huh?1.gif Some of my coworkers are still without power as of yesterday.

I know what you mean. Yesterday morning I dug a Technics receiver with bamboo shoot technology out of the box to see what the Chorus' would sound like with a little more power. The thing sounds really good, can't say too much because I paid so little for it and so much more for my other SS equipment. Anyway, its still going right now. I question the need for tubes. The thing sounds good (did I mention that). I could go on about it but who needs the embarrassment? 2.gif

Let us know if you find the holy grail.

Keith