My KSP 4000 Crossover just got burned...please help!

klipschboy

Hi,

Does anyone in here know any Klipsch authorized repair shop in Boston area? I tried to bi-amping my power-amp but forgot to turn-off my KSP400...and just within a second...the crossover got fired. I called Klipsch but they ran out of part. Now I am trying to get it repaired but don't know how and where. Could someone give me some an advice?

Thanks,

Tony

I am not so sure if it was the fuse but I saw smoke came out on from the contol panel. How do I know if it was the fuse? I've babied these speakers for years... and honestly, I don't want anything happen to them 15.gif

I am going to part the sub tonight and try if it still works. I'll will keep everyone posted.

Thanks everyone,

Tony

Whatever is "wrong" with the crossover, I can fix it, as long as we are talking about the passive section, and not the electronic section that probably resides in the powered subwoofer section.

For now, let's back up: You said --

"I tried to bi-amping my power-amp but forgot to turn-off my KSP400...and just within a second...the crossover got fried."

It would help immensely if you explained exactly what you did here. I don't understand how failing to turn-off the powered section of the KSP400s caused smoke to pour out of the terminal cup. I also don't understand what you mean by, "tried bi-amping my power amp" -- since it takes two amplifiers to bi-amp.

Here is the manual:

http://www.klipsch.com/media/Products/KSP400_C6_S6_OM.pdf

How were you originally hooked up? Look at page 7 -- were you like "Figure B", or "Figure C"? ... And then what did you try to do?

Hi DeanG,

I use tri-wire to hook-up to my KSP 400 as seen on Figure B. This evening, I tried to connect my KSP 400 again and the speaker was working fine. I could hear the sound from the two mid-bass woofers, tractix horn, and the sub-woofer. However, I could not hear anything when I tried to connect with a single wire to either "Mid In" or "Hi In" from the "Speaker Level input". Before the accident, I was able to hear music with this connection but now I'm not.

Thanks everyone 2.gif

Hello Everyone,

I took out the main control panel and brought it to an electronic repair shop this morning. The guy at the shop looked at the board and told me that couple capacitors have blown. He then recommended ordering a new control panel instead to repair it because the sound quality would be degraded after repairing. Sadly, I came home and called the Tech support at Klipsch and they suggested me to send in both the control panel and the amp so that they can take a look at them. I then also called the part dept. to find out how much is for a new control panel and was told it is selling for $140.19. Finally, I decided to order a new control panel and hope this will bring back my KSP 400 as normal.

I will keep everyone posted as the part comes in.

Thank you everyone 2.gif

Tony