FleXy Table Rack Project

thebes

Just built one of these to join with several other members of the forum who have built them in the past.

I was suprised at how well it looked when done. Didn't even bother to paint it.

Here's a link to the site for details: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

I used 5/8 inch threaded rod and 3/4 inch MDF with a length of 24" and a depth of 16". Home Deport sells these sheets as 2'x4's so you can get six shleves out of two panels for about $13. Total project cost about $60 inlcudng drill bit, nut, bolts and rods. I did not use the recommended plastic or rubber washer, but when built this thing is VERY HEAVY so I don't think vibration will be a problem.

For the feet I used plain rubber feet but I may drop some tiles or small pavers under them because my plywood floor under a rug is kinda bouncy. This would eliminate any bouncing needles on the TT.

A couple of tips to share. I placed the holes for the rods 1 and 1/2" off the corners, taped all the panels together and drilled them all out at once. I believe this made setting them onto the rods much easier. Also, I used a tape measure to get all four nuts lined up pretty close, placed the shelve and then used a level to make them even. I used a complety level surface for initial construction and then only needed to make some minor leveling adjustments with the rack in place.

Mods: you can also use acrylic, marble or 3/4 birch or oak panels if you wish to stain and poly. To my mind though the mdf will kill resonance more because, hey, that's what Klipsch uses to make our speakers. YOu can also buy steel tubing to put over the threaded rods, but if you think you'll be adjusting the shelves in the future, this won't work out to well. I also might consider drilling the holes oversize and placing cut pieces of thin rubber hose from an auto store over the rods and into the to dampen vibrations. The very large washers will easily cover the holes. You could also easily build a small panel into the back with drilled out holes to hide the cables and wiring.

Good looks, cheap, sonically good and not hard to build (3-4 hours tops). What more can I say. Oh, yes, saw something very similiar in a high fi shop a couple of weeks ago for $400.

post-14801-1381925799142_thumb.jpg

Yes they do work well. I ordered parts from McMaster-Carr Supply Co. in Atlanta (www.mcmaster.com ). They have everything a guy could want.

I used EPDM rubber cushioning & sealing washers Part # 90130A060 , 50 pack for $12.50. Also used part # 97088A215 coupling nut with part # 24215T36 casters. Works well and the parts are cheap. You could use spikes with the coupling nuts if that was your preference. Note the 5/8"-11 & 3/8-16 screw sizes on the nut and 3/8-16 thread on the caster stem. Match the coupling nut thread size to the spikes you might use.

I recommend McMaster-Carr highly. They have a nice site. Check it out.

Keith

I like the look and the simplicity. But I am a constant tweaker and like using one of these:

bretford.jpg

I know it is awfully boring and unimaginative, but those wheels make switching gear so easy. I paid $10 for it and no time in the shop. Anyone put wheels on one of those flexis? And how sturdy are those flexi racks? Do they twist?

----------------

On 9/24/2004 8:29:01 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

I like the look and the simplicity. But I am a constant tweaker and like using one of these:

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/bretford.jpg">

I know it is awfully boring and unimaginative, but those wheels make switching gear so easy. I paid $10 for it and no time in the shop. Anyone put wheels on one of those flexis? And how sturdy are those flexi racks? Do they twist?

----------------

Yes, thats yes I have casters on mine. Note my post just above yours. And yes they are very sturdy.

Keith

Yep, count me in as a "Flexy fan." I built one with walnut MDF, veneered the edges, and used a cherry stain to "warm" up the color a bit. Then used the clear satin poly and it looks sharp. I went a bit on the pricy side and bought brass hardware, so it matches with my 299B very well, and gives a very good look when next to the K-horns.

I went with 2'x2' shelves, so got 4 shelves out of a 4'x4' piece without any waste. Using 3' rods, I think they were 3/8", allows for some nice room in between the components.

After my experience with the walnut one, I built three for my HT, though this time I used birch MDF, standard steel hardware, and just painted black, since they will be in the dark most of the time. I made two at about 30" tall for HT components and then another to support a couple of components and the center channel speaker, currently an Academy, but soon I'll try a Chorus II.

All racks have the rubber washers and I used 2" casters to make moving the rack easier. Great system in the Flexy, and well worth the investment, considering they are infinitely adjustable and can be made to look very nice. Sure beats the $$$ furniture out there.