Need center channel for 1980 Heresy's

thegreenline

I have a pair of 1980 era Heresy's. Thought of replacing them with a pair of Vandeersteens. Liked the sound of the Heresy's better.

My question is what to do for a center channel. I am thinking of a high end Paradigm center.

The rest of my system includes Paradigm Titans (for now) and matching center for the fronts. Def Tech Cinema Pro 80's for the rears and the matching sub that goes with them.

Planning on adding a family room the Heresy's will become the fronts and the Titans will becoe the rears. Also planning on getting a new sub

Electronics: Denon 2802, Sony sat-t60, Sony ES77C cd player, and a toshiba dvd player that is also to be replaced.

If you're going to stick with Klipsch, have a think about which way you're going to go. Paradigm's are good too, but I'd stick with the Klipsch option. If you buy the Paradigm centre, it kind of means you are committed to this brand. The next logical step would be to replace the Heresy's with Paradigm mains, then you would have a complete Paradigm system.

This is not what I would recommend. Looking further ahead, I would suggest keeping the Heresy's, and maybe taking a raincheck on the centre option. Why not consider upgrading your mains for a Heritage setup. Now this may very well be a pair of Heresy's, but could also be a pair of LaScala's. The Heresy's could then be used as rears and you could look around for another pair of Heresy's for a centre channel. The other option mentioned above is to have an all Heresy surround system. Now that would be awesome!

Even better would be using 1 or 2 heresys as center and get cornwalls for your mains. Cornwalls are the best match for heresys since they share the same midrange horn. You can then complete your system with one more pair of heresys.

BTW - If you like heresys, you'll LOVE cornwalls.

----------------

On 10/3/2004 8:44:16 PM moondawg wrote:

----------------

On 9/29/2004 2:17:03 PM garymd wrote:

... using 1 or 2 heresys as center...

----------------

Hey Gary, just out of curiosity, how would you wire up a pair of Heresy's as a single center speaker?

Thanks,

Mike

----------------

I stole this from Gilbert:

PARALLEL:

In a parallel setup, the positive wire comming out of you amp will feed into the positives terminals of both speakers (i.e. both speakers will share the exact same signal strength. The negative wire is connected the same way.

The trick to a paralllel setup is to have an amp with enough guts to drive the new impedance or resistive load. For example, if both your speakers are 8 ohmns, and you hook them up in parallel, the new equivalent resistance as seen by the amp is 4 ohmns. 4 ohmns will suck more current for a given voltage. Twice as much to be exact.

SERIES:

With a series setup you connect the positive output from your amp into the positive terminal of the 1st. speaker, then from the 1st speaker connect a wire from it's negative terminal to the positive terminal of the 2nd speaker. The negative terminal from the 2nd speaker will connect back into the negative terminal on the amp. on the amp. In this kind of setup, the amp will see 8 + 8 = 16 ohmns.

With type of connection, both speakers will see half the total voltage output from your amp. Which means the signal strength seen from the speaker will be halved, compared to a parallel setup. A series setup will be easier on your amp than a parallel setup.

Based on my understanding of electon flow, I think the parrallel setup would be more advantageous for sound quality. But will want more current from your amp's center channel output.