Considering the Yamaha RX-V2400, whaddaya think of yours?

krustyoldsarge

Would like to hear from the Yammie owners, especially those driving Heritage.

Am considering the purchase of a Yamaha RX-V2400.

Why? Several reasons, mostly circumstantial:

1. My recent cross-Korea move has taught me I've got too much gear! I've got nearly a room full of audio equipment lying around. Worse yet, my current job situation is not leaving me a lot of time to work any of it. I need to simplify and sell some of it off. My ChorusII's and KG4's stay, of course!

2. Opinions posted here and elsewhere indicate that Digital amplification is maturing rapidly with sound quality easily surpassing conventional SS. Fortunately, If I purchase a digital Yammie from AAFES, I'll be able to audition it for a while to see if it lives up to its reputation.

3. Power issues. Korean apartments are wired for 220/240 and generally not a lot of it! Am concerned about overload and high electric bills. Digital amps are generally the most power efficient. The Denon and Panasonic models sold by AAFES run on 120, necessitating a transformer.

4. Denon's out because of voltage issues. Marantz is out because the BX doesn't sell them, no recourse through AAFES and I don't like to deal with Koreans! Aaarrrgghhh!

5. The RX-V2400 boasts a b***load of features at a reasonable $799! But does it sound good with Heritage?

So how do you guys/gals with Yamaha's like them? What did you have to do to make them work together with your Klipsch?

I have a Yamaha RX V3300 and am very happy with it. I run it with 3 Heresy II's and 3 La Scala's. The sound to me is very clean and accurate. I used to be one of the anti Yamaha types but this receiver has significantly altered my view. I dont hear the bright brash sound of old. I love the DTS and DD functionality. IMO it does a very good job of handling two channel tracks as well. I wont lie I would love to one day and eventually will get another set of separates but this receiver has performed very well as far as I am concerned. I would not hesitate to recommend it. Mine does not have the YPAO functions the RX V2400 does and 799 is a very good price. It reminds me of my days in the Navy and my awesome purchases through the NEX. So if you want my recommendation I would get it. As you said you can demo it and return it if you dont like it so I see no down side.

krustyoldsarge, the Yamaha RX2400, as well as the lower priced RX1400, are both prime contenders in my plan to upgrade to a multi channel system. I have heard all the contenders around this price level, and I believe that both Yamaha's offer smoother overall sound than the opposition with excellent DSP's if that's what you like. The RX2400 in particular is probably the pick of the current Yamaha range and it gives very little away to competitors costing and arm and a leg more. It also matches extremely well with Klipsch speakers as I have heard several times. Power output is very good and the build quality is up there with the best. Also, both Yamaha's feature the automated room correction system which is surprisingly effective. So for the price you can get the RX2400 for, it's a no brainer!

Good luck with your choice, Sarge.....

----------------

On 10/1/2004 8:26:24 PM RC wrote:

Sarge, I'm really enjoying mine. I was able to get a price match for AAFES from my local store so I didn't have to wait. If they really want your business they will do it. I think it's one of, if not the best bang for the buck out there. Happy shoping...
1.gif

----------------

The 2400 is an AAFES bestseller, online dept was sold out last week. That's why I'm thinking the Yamaha must have something going for it.

Also, according to the Yamaha website, there is a 2500 coming out in October. 10 more wpc, basically. Might bring the 2400's price down a couple bucks, not worried about it, though.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

G'day there, KrustyOldSarge, A salute to you and those in the Services.

Anyhow, I've had a Yammy 1300 for about 18 months. It's built like a tank, clean, powerful, dependable and can shake the house.

I've used it with a few different heritage setups and am now running it with a Reference 3 system (see profile).

In a dts or dd home theatre mode, it provides a seamless wrap of sound front to back and left to right, and puts dialog up in the middle front where it belongs. Sound location and definition is really good - even gets my dog going sometimes.

Listening to music, I use 2 channel or stereo a lot because that was how most engineers mixed the music for. Although a nice dsp feature is the 6 channel entertainment setting for filling the room with music.

Dependability is really good - no problems out of the box or now.

Only drawbacks are minor. Back binding posts are crammed together, a weak small orange display (although a great on-screen video display) and a overly complicated remote. Maybe they've changed these with the newer models.

Anyhow, I've really been happy with it and would recommend it. You take care over there. Slainte Mhath Hamish

• 2 months later...

Hello Sarge. A quick salute to you guys in uniform. SALUTE!

This will be the closest comparison you're likely to see. I purchased the Yamaha RXV2400 about 4 months ago and run it with my Cornwalls for 2ch, add RC7 and RB3 for HT, soon to be a full set of RB5's with a custom vertical Corn for center.

I had the Yamaha RXV850 ProLogic prior to this so am no stranger to the brand. I like their surround modes, crispness of sound, and features and engineering. I am absolutely pleased with my setup.

Your Choruses are very similar in configuration to my Cornwalls, so I think we're talking apples and apples here. From what I discern, the unhappiness some users feel with the Klipsch/Yamaha marriage is from Reference users, who percieve a certain shrillness or brashness to the upper ranges. True the Reference series is very unforgiving, so if there is a bit of treble-emphasis in any gear, they are sure to be heard. IMHO, this is not a problem at all with Heritage speakers until you are talking about ear-splitting volume levels.

The YPAO setup feature, while very bizarre (please do leave the room as indicated) seems to to a very good job at eliminating timing differences between speakers that are different distances from the sweet spot. The auto-eq, while it doesn't dig deep into the bass regions, does a very nice job. Think it's 7ch Parametric for EACH channel. You don't get that type of control with bass/treble knobs. It is difficult, however, to get in and tweak something once the YPAO setup is complete. In a way, it's fiddle proof. I'm thinking about reinstalling my 2x10 band eq on the main channels for 2ch music listening.

The jack panel is very full featured as is the remote. You can watch one show on TV, yet listen to another source as well. The 6th and 7th channel of amplification can be used as front 'presence' channels or used to drive the 2nd zone (rec out) from a totally different source- very clever! There is also a 3rd zone on the US version.

All in all, I'm extraordinarily happy with this unit and would do it again. Surround modes take a little getting used to, but right now I don't even have the optical cable from DVD to AVR for proper Dolby Digital or DTS and it sounds remarkable even in ProLogic II mode. Can't wait to finish my cabinetry and really get this baby wired up. BTW, there's jacks for EVERYTHING. Can you say Space Shuttle, I thought you could.

Could you ask for a more glowing review? It won't happen. For the bucks, this is as good as it gets my friend. Carry on!

Michael

----------------

On 12/10/2004 11:37:40 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I saw a post for Sarge on another topic. Looks like ya got the 2400 Sarge, good job. Let us know what you think of the setup options and the sound with your Chorus speakers. Michael

----------------

Michael,

Sorry to not get back to this earlier. I work strange hours, additionally visits to my girlfriend take me out of town a fair bit.

I did indeed get the 2400. Had a problem with the Component Video and took it back. AAFES (happily, since I didn't ask for a refund) gave me a replacement.

Have enjoyed the Yammie immensely! It really makes the Choruses sing. The remote's small buttons and script (I need reading glasses) take a little getting used to, but it's fun to experiment. What does Guns & Roses sound like in a Munich Opera Hall? Vienna, etc.?

The sound clarity is far better than I expected, but you can't describe this amp as "laid-back" like tubes or mellow like an old Marantz SS. Definition and soundstage are good so far, but I haven't spent a lot of time with this baby, yet. Altogether the Yammie plays quite neutral.

An excellent match for the Chorus, none of my guests have failed to be impressed. I'm using my heretofore neglected KG-4's as surrounds. Haven't noticed a problem concerning timbre difference between the two types yet. Besides making DVDs sound great, for CD, I can switch the remote to "straight stereo" mode and the room really rocks.

By all means go optical into this unit! The difference it makes on my Technics CD jukebox is stunning!

Glad I took your advice!