Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Oct. 4

thebes

We had great participation, great suggestions and a great winner in our very own Edwinr. So what do you have to share this week?

Format is simple. Name of artists/group, style of music as best you can (jazz, blues etc.), whether its's a cd or lp and any comments you wish to share.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Eric Bibb, "A Needed Time-Good Stuff", cd blues

I actually bought this one off a recommendation posted here (sorry can't remember right now who offered it up) and I must say I am loving this. Very much in the style of Taj Mahal and Keb Mo. Beautiful, almost restrained blues with a nice delta feel.You can't go wrrng with this one and very well recorded using a vacuum tube stereo microphone , custom-built vacuum tube design mixer and analogue recorder with Telefunken Magnetopon M-28C.

Whoever first posted this, many thanks.

Here are 3 for you guys:

Tennis-Europe On Horseback CD(2001-record label=BiP-HOp). Excellent dubby, abstract electronic music. Fantastic bass. Think Boards Of Canada with dub basslines.

Joy Division-Substance CD(1977-1980-Warner Bros). I've loved Joy Division for a LONG time and just wanted this for car listening as I already have the LP. Mostly a collection of non-LP cuts along with some very early rare tracks. For those not in the know Joy Division was a proto-goth band that dissolved when singer Ian Curtis committed suicide right before their big first tour of the States. The other members went on to form New Order. Gloom-rock for fans of Bauhaus, Sisters Of Mercy and Interpol.

Rhythm & Sound w/ the artists-Burial Mix CD(2003-Asphodel licensed from Basic Channel). I gave a brief history lesson of the influential duo & record label known as Basic Channel a few reviews ago. They were known for their very minimal tracks but 10 years later they're cutting some of the best reggae-dub stuff around. Unbelievable production with a vast space between notes and bass from hell. This is the sister cd to another one I mention titled The Versions. This one collects almost all of the 12"s a-sides from the Basic Channel sub-label Burial Mix hence the title. Each 12" would pair the duo up with legendary dub/reggae singers with an a-side vocal and a b-side dub(which is the source of The Versions). A+!

Bes - I posted the Bibb disc back in August, it is excellent isn't it? His others are good, but that one is just spectacular.

This weeks:

Sonia Dada - "Day at the Beach" "My Seceret Life" and "Barefoot Soul" CD's, Funky, Rootsy, Soul, Gospel, Jazz blend, incredible music. Buy any of the 3 or buy them all, you will not be disappointed.

Jazz Jamaica All Stars - "Massive" Jazz Ska is best description of these guys....really cool.

Have fun all!

Been hearing a lot of the new Crosby-Nash song on local radio, which sounds vey much like the old stuff from Woodstock era. I've got Deja-Vu, probably THE qunitessential CSNY album on vinyl around here, but alas, haven't hooked up the LP to CD conversion stuff yet (anybody got a really good handle on how to do this? would rather do in in Mac-land).

Anyway, think I'll go purvey the local record shops for a remaster (surely they've done it by now) of CSNY Deja Vu. It's total hits all the way thru, especially David's 'Almost Cut my Hair' classic 60's rock and beautiful listening for an autumn day.

A couple of jazz selections....

Mindi Abair - "It Just Happens That Way". Nice album and very good recording. Mindi is a sax player and in a male dominated sax world, she does quite well for herself. The lead in track almost had me reaching for the eject button, but after track one, it's all good. I'd give it solid 8 out of 10.

Craig Chaquico - "A Thousand Pictures". Very nice guitar work and a very good recording. Craig once played for Jerfferson Starship so it's interesting to hear this type of music coming out of him. I'd also give this one an 8 out of 10.

Tom

Ooooh, I got another one-- The Pearl Harbor Soundtrack.

I'm sure most everyone has seen the movie, and of course have heard Faith Hill's There you'll be, but thats not all that's on the movie. Hans Zimmer did the music, which he's also done the music for LOTR, Thin Red Line, Gladiator, and numerous other movies.

Heart of a Volunteer-- This song starts off kind of dark, and some people would consider scary. To me, it sounds powerful. You can feel the bass in every beat, and it just continues to build until a climax. After that it slows down with a beautiful, but ever so soft decrescendo. The low brass in this piece is awesome. One might consider the song depressing. There are also a lot of stringed parts in this piece. By the middle of this song, I am almost in tears. Later in the song is a trumpet solo, with the bass drum. (this is the part when they're bringing Danny out of the plane in his casket, yet again, another part in the movie when I'm in tears) It speeds up a little bit in the last few minutes of the song, with the higher brass/woodwinds playing a nice melody. When you think the song is over, it brings in the melody of Tenesse, the song when the movie begins, and ends with it.

Tenessee-- The stringed instruments in this piece did an outstanding job. The dynamics are incredible. Its the kind of song where you just want to lean back and close your eyes, and enjoy the work PWK put so much time and effort into.

And then I kissed him...-- This song starts off with a piano solo, and it goes on throughout the song. There are a few faked endings in the song, which just leave you asking for more. It reminds me of sitting out in the backyard on a nice cool day cuddling with the one you love. It leaves that warm and fuzzy feeling in you.

I will come back-- While its not my favorite song on this album, it still is good. Its a very dark song, with quite a bit of low brass. But in the end, it lightens up quite a bit.

December 7-- Yet another awesome song. This is extremely similar to Heart of a Volunteer. Just mainly low brass and strings. In the middle of the song is a choiroric part, that reminds me of mourning. Not the happiest, but it still is awesome.

War-- This is by far the best song on the soundtrack. It starts off with the string intruments. This song has some deep bass, so dont take it too loud when others are around, especially neighbors. This is mainly a brass/string show. It has dynamics like you wouldnt believe. It starts slow in the beginning, but quickily picks up. This song will really show off what your horns will do. If you just sit down, and give it a good listen, it will really move you. Its just one of those songs. From the cymbol crashes to the huge bass drum beats, its just the perfect song. At the end is the HUGE climax. This is the song that blew the surround off my old Paradigm sub. It leaves you feeling, well, sort of victorious.

Well, theres my attempt of making a review. Hope yall like it -- David

Let me recommend three artists 1.gif Please!!!

Maria Mena - She has a really interesting vocal styling, almost talking, very breathy. I bought two cd's from hearing only 30 seconds of her music, no regrets.

Joss Stone - Her latest albumn is even better than the first albumn. There is more funk in her soul than before. She really shows off her voice at times on this on album, she can hit some notes!

Keane - Bar none the best rock band around... without a guitar.

Ok, i said only three, but Rufus Wainwright's new EP - Waiting for a Want has one song that stands above the others. Waiting For A Dream. I get the chills from this one.

Jem - "They" followed by...

Frou Frou - "Let Go". The latter was in the movie, Garden State. I close my eyes and let my imagination put me in another world when these come on. Seriously some great vocals and thrilling beats.

Finally...

Emma Shapplin's album Etterna, one song in particular "Un Sospir'di Voi". She is perhaps the next best thing to Sarah Brightman. That is saying a lot coming from me, the resident Sarah Brightman freak.

Clu,

I'm a GNR fan, how does Velvet Revolver compare and how does Scotty W. do on vocals? Does Slash wail? THis is getting lots of press and promotion. Gotta love the seminal name, kind of a soft/hard thing like Led Zeppelin or Iron Butterfly.

Velvet Revolver! great rnr name!

New release for Jerry Garcia fans. The Jerry Garcia Band, 2/28/80, Kean College. The CD is called "After Midnight" and is a killer 3-disc set. One of the better live recordings I've heard from the Garcia vault. Crisp highs and chest-pounding bass.

I guess I'll chime in here. I've been listening to this for about a week, and am digging it.

Todd Rundgren's latest, "Liars," on CD (there's a multi-channel DVD-A out, too). Very well mastered, it's classic Todd. Pop/rock, some techno, great melodic balladry. Any fan of Rundgren should love it, and for those unfamiliar with his work (do those folks exist??), this would be a good intro, and a stepping stone towards exploring his previous works. It's been getting great reviews, too.

----------------

On 10/7/2004 6:43:57 PM cluless wrote:

Velvet Revolver - Contraband

I had to think once,

twice,

again,

and again before I bought this one...

In the end ...this rocks..

Just goes to show that ...

................that there is really no such thing as a bad hair day.

----------------

Clue absolelutely awesome! I second this recomendation. This is really the best rock album I have heard in years. I am a fan of STP and Guns and it does justice on it's own. I will also add Gov't mule got a new one called Deja Vudooo. Heard a few tunes and it is good, but they got a keyboardist now. I personally liked the stripped down Mule better, but they must of got used to the keyboardist on the the deepest end project, and went for it. Not bad though.