CD ripping software

white_shadow

On Windows -- Exact Audio Copy if you can find it for ripping. Lame plus RazorLame for encoding.

On $FREE_OS -- Exact Audio Copy in wine/wineX when it feels like working, cdparanoia when it doesn't. Lame and a shell script for encoding.

For running them back out from compressed, WinAmp on Windows or XMMS on $FREE_OS. Enable the Disk Writer plug-in and push play.

For backup purposes of course.

----------------

On 10/6/2004 4:58:02 PM white_shadow wrote:

Which cd ripping software do you use. From CD to compressed formats and vice versa. For backup purposes of course.

----------------

What operating system are you looking for?

I use Toast on the Mac G5 and I'm a fan of Nero for the pc. Though the reason I use is Nero is because it has a very nice noise reduction system that I use for recovering old cassette tapes (it's better than a lot of the mega thousand dollar VST plugins that you can buy). I've always found windows media player to be a pain as well as the Roxio Easy CD Creator lineup (which is software that comes with a lot of burners). They both don't let you have access to all the features on a CD.

There's a whole forum dedicated to this at:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org

They've got lots of info regarding all the compressions (Ogg vorbis and FLAC) and all the programs out there.

BTW, Nero itself doesn't have the noise reduction...it's a bundled program that comes with most of the packages called Nero Wave Editor. I had trouble getting it working on a P3 running windows 98, but the latest patches seemed to fix that.

Don't ever rip to MP3s. The format is pretty much dead. For the same space, you can get much higher quality if you use Vorbis or MPC.

You can search in the Promedia forum for my post earlier this year, where I compared MP3 and OGG vs. WAV. Vorbis was such a clear winner, it's not even funny.

But with current hard drives running less than 50c/GB it's a shame not to rip uncompressed. Also, if you ever scratch of lose your CDs, you could recover them by burning your uncompressed rips without any loss of quality from the original.

i don't agree at all with the format being "dead". I do agree that there are newer, better formats out there, but what has the highest portability and compatibility? Mp3.

And eventually, uncompressed will be the way to go, but for now, I'm sticking with high-quality VBR compression, I can't even come close to telling the difference.