how loud is too loud???

tkot

THX reference level is something like 121dB. I guess that's how loud explosions are supposed to sound. It's roughly like standing next to the big PA speakers at a rock concert.

But I do believe that would make your ears bleed if you had to hear it for more than a second.

On the other hand I really don't know, just remember hearing something along these lines.

----------------

On 10/7/2004 10:15:08 PM Scp53 wrote:

when the neighbors tell you its to loud.

----------------

you have a klipsch system and your still on speaking terms with your nieghbors??

either you live on an acreage or you need bigger amps !!!

lol jay

pounding out low 140's (and my ears are fine!!)

----------------

On 10/7/2004 9:54:28 PM meuge wrote:

THX reference level is something like 121dB. I guess that's how loud explosions are supposed to sound. It's roughly like standing next to the big PA speakers at a rock concert.

But I do believe that would make your ears bleed if you had to hear it for more than a second.

On the other hand I really don't know, just remember hearing something along these lines.

----------------

Instead of making a comment and then admitting you don't know (It's not 121dB by the way)... Why not just go to the THX website and look it up?

Go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page...

http://www.thx.com/mod/products/chosngProduct.html

The THX Ultra 2 certification (7.1 channel setup) for speakers, requires them to be able to generate at least 105 dB in a 3000 cubic foot room.

hmmmm..... 121dB .....

Let me just tell you how loud that is....

I used to test the air horns that mount on top of the big yachts you see heading out into the ocean for corrosion and sound pressure levels(i.e. VOLUME)!!! If I remember correctly, the US Coast Guard spec said from 1 meter away they had to be a minimum of 120 dB. That is ear splitting, mind numbing madness!!!!

i think one of the keys to this question isnt the decibel level, rather the frequency of a given sound at a certain level. as we all know a 20hz sound at 120db wouldnt blow out your ear drums, no matter how long you heard it probably, because its a low sound, but at like 10khz it could/will. I think THX combines all freqs into a certain point. I know on our system listening to hard rock and such with lots of cymbals and stuff, i cant even approach reference levels because my ears cant take it, but I can with other types of music and definitely with movies

tkot wrote:

----------------

On 10/7/2004 10:15:08 PM Scp53 wrote:

when the neighbors tell you its to loud.

----------------

you have a klipsch system and your still on speaking terms with your nieghbors??

either you live on an acreage or you need bigger amps !!!

lol jay

pounding out low 140's (and my ears are fine!!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'd like to stay friends with my neighbors and keep my hearing. 140+ db is tooooo MUCH. even if i wanted to piss them off id have to take my klipsch out side. i only have 2 pairs of b-shelfs and a small sub. my sys will not knock the house down. well, ive never had both pairs on at the same time. i should try it.

scp53