My corns need HELP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 10/12/2004 10:35:53 PM fini wrote:

smilin,

There must be something about one's family members being ill, and trying to get one's music system together (I know what you're going through!!).

----------------

Fini, I just want a place to meditate, pray, and enjoy my music, Knowing I have gotten 99% of the way to my PERFECT audio bliss. It would just help to melt away my daily stresses.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve---I'll be up on the Nort' Side tomorrow at my Girl's place at Sheridan and Ainslie. I'll call you or call me on my cell. Maybe we can do lunch and talk. I have a couple of ideas, maybe goofy ones at first thought but it may be you need to go backwards instead of forward so to speak. I know a guy with a line on some Bozak Concert Grands. VERY musical speakers.

Or maybe borrow my Altec 605s and see what you think. Also very musical, speakers to simply listen to music with.

Guest Anonymous

I know nothing bout them, I was looking for Tbrennan to chime back in2.gif The horn LOOKS way cool, and the Woofer looks like a 15" klipsch/alnico. But what do I know6.gif12.gif

Bozak? Aren't those things kind of like a line array with a bunch of drivers stuffed into a column type cabinet? Those will go great with his SET amp. NOT! I don't even think its considered an efficient speaker. Yeah, I'd say that's going backwards alright. Screw that, I'd push him into stacked DQ-10's before I let you talk him into that crap.9.gif I guess Tom will probably have you set up with a nice PA system in no time! "ATTENTION ATTENTION, WILL SMILIN STEVE PLEASE REPORT TO THE LOBBY!" LOL 9.gif2.gif

Greetings Smilin',

There's a place here in Chicago called 20th Century TV & Stereo Center that might be worth checking out. The shop has a variety of vintage audio gear (including some Bozaks). Also, I've had quality service from them for my tape deck and turntable, so they might be a resource for fixing your drivers. If interested, you can give 'em a buzz at (773) 528-1728.

Hope this helps...

Also, there's an interesting bit of information on Alnico magnet demagnetization (and other things) at a Q&A page from Weber Vintage Speaker Technologies: http://www.webervst.com/sptalk.html

Take care,

Scott

Hey smilin, sorry about the family troubles. I DO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I lost a grandmother to cancer, grandad to truck accident and mom to emphasema within one year. It's tough having just one fam member going through rough times, multiplied many times if its more than one. Gather your forces, convene the family, get outside help in whatever form necessary. Hang in there. Be strong for those who are weakened!

Re speakers, sounds like amp/electronics to me. If you have blown drivers, they are all replaceable at much lower cost than replacing entire drivers. I've done it.

Hang in there and like the name sez, 'keep smilin'!

Michael

----------------

On 10/12/2004 10:14:07 PM TBrennan wrote:

BEC---Why can I be sure? Your assertion that the act of blowing doesn't weaken Alnico magnets runs counter to the experiences of some very astute folks at the Altec and Lansing boards, some of them theater and pro sound techs and contractors of formidable experience.

What leads you to believe they're wrong?

I'm not taking sides, just wonderin'. I don't know enough to make a strong argument. Personally I've never measured magnetic strength or frequency response of blown vs. repaired Alnico drivers. I'm just going by what some pretty sharp fellas have to say.

----------------

Tom,

I am only talking about the specific ones that I have experience with and that is the EV T-35/K-77 alnico tweeter and the Atlas K-55V alnico midrange drivers. I just don't believe that the 5 watts that it takes to destroy the voice coil in one of these tweeters could hurt that magnet. The power required to take out the voice coil of a K-55V is more at around 40 watts, but again that seems to me much lower than an amount likely to effect the alnico magnet. I have reallly only seen a couple of the K-77 alnico magnet tweeters that have bad voice coils that I could say for sure had been over powered. Usually the voice coil looks good as new when they are bad so I just put the failure mode down to old age.

Anyway, when I rebuild a K-77 alnico, I compare the rebuilt tweeter to a K-77M ceramic to insure that all is well since the ceramic magnet is immune to the effects of age or just about anything else. I have not found one of the alnico tweeters yet that did not compare favourably to the ceramics after a rebuild so, in my opinion, these tweeters do not need to be routinely remagnetized to perform properly.

On the subject of the other alnico driver that we regulary work with, the Atlas built K-55V, I have seen several of those that had the diaphrgm blown by overpower, Again, replacing the diaphragm alone has always brought those back to life and on those I have carefully measured the outputs using a spectrum analyzer. They have all (admittedly only a few done so far) tested exactly as a new one directly from the Atlas factory. One set of those tested was from 1967, so, not even the effect of the magnet aging for almost 4 decades showed up in testing.

I can't comment on the findings of the Altec group members on this subject except to say that I doubt their experience is with these drivers we find in Klipsch heritage speakers.

Bob Crites

Guest Anonymous

Tom,and Craig, yes, I replaced both the sources and amps, and switched the interconnects from left to right channels. They sound fine under 85db, but you know me, thats ***** sound. The speaker was really breaking up on the brothers in arms disc song 6 from the HEAVY deep and mid bass. I think that the speakers really need to be fully rebuilt to sound their best, AND I am will to pay for it. Tom Mobley offered to do it for me, and I appreciate the offer, BUT I have no inclination to ship to Arizona. I want to pay somebody local to rebuild all my speakers with the Best drivers/crossovers/varnishing ect. I have so much $$$$ invested, I just want to be completely happy with my system. I am completely happy, so far, with the VRD's, and the Cardinal X1's, Both being the best I have ever owned 1 PP 1 SET. I also own 2 of the best sources I have ever heard. The APL modded/and the Exemplar modded. I have new cables being made as I write.

NOW I desire to have the BEST KLIPSCH MODDED speakers made for my listening pleasure, AND am willing to pay for it.

Please helpme to get to the RIGHT person in Chicago area for such a job. I would like to do 2 speakers at a time, so I can enjoy some music while all is being perfected.16.gif

Guest Anonymous

Craig, It's got to be the speakers now, I have so much bass from the VRD's and the sources, the cabinets are rattling too3.gif but, there is difinate ditortion from the right speaker especially15.gif I wish they made these things new, maybe I should get Rf7's, but I dunno.

15.gif