Kenwood KR-8050 - any good?

kenratboy

I have a KR-9600, used it for 25 years. Great SS receiver! Sitting in a box waiting for my son after graduation. My guess is the 8050 is a nice one also. Very well built and HEAVY! Mine was built in '76 (weighs about 65lbs) while the 8050s were built in '79 and '80. About the last good years for the big-a$$ receivers before they went to sh!t. The 9600 is 160wpc, the 8050 is 120wpc.

I bought another 9600 for $60 last year. One channel didn't work so the guy thought he got the better of me. All it needed was a cleaning and both channels worked perfectly.

Definitely. Well, I can only speak for the 9600 but it kept me happy for over 20 years with my cornwalls. Very quiet. More bells and whistles then you'll ever use.

I'm sure there are plenty of reviews on the web if you do a few searches. May as well keep it. It, like most others of its type, go for a song these days.

I used a Kenwood 8070 for quite a few years. When I hooked it up to my KLF-30's it had alot of noise. I still really liked the Kenwood and I had it hooked up to an EQ, but it was just too outdated for HT. I use a Denon 3803 now which is alot quieter. SO I guess if you do not want to spend more on another amp/receiver just stick with it.

----------------

On 10/12/2004 8:42:23 PM garymd wrote:

Definitely. Well, I can only speak for the 9600 but it kept me happy for over 20 years with my cornwalls. Very quiet. More bells and whistles then you'll ever use.

I'm sure there are plenty of reviews on the web if you do a few searches. May as well keep it. It, like most others of its type, go for a song these days.----------------

Me thinks the days of the KR-9600 "going for a song" are long gone. Word got out about these great receviers elsewhere on the net, and now the prices have really jumped. Case in point, and there are many others:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39787&item=5723453547&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Sweet! Mine is pretty close to mint and clean as a whistle. Too bad I have no use for it. I know a guy who uses 2 in his HT set-up.

I'll let my son use it with the heresys. He better be careful though. That Kenwood will blow the heresys up pretty easily.

I still think you should give that 8050 a chance. Have you listened to it? If so, what do you think?

Hello,

Garymd and whell are correct, the receivers of that era are statement pieces designed to establish a market share. Kenwood, Pioneer, and the biggest "sleeper" of them all, the EARLY "made in Japan" Sherwoods like the S-7300. Wonderful build quality and design, good conservatively rated performance, these old flagships will kick the S$&T out of most of the black plastic IC based crap of today. If HT is what you crave try one of these "GOLDEN OLDIES" with an outboard unit like the passive one from Quad (under $50). Anyone who begs to differ is either a snob or deaf.

Your pal,

Analogman

• 6 years later...

I've owned several Kenwood items (currently, just a KT 8300, and a KA 9100), but never had any trouble with any of it.

Owners of KR9600 recievers love them... so I can't imagine thre would be any problem with a well-kept/well-maintained KR 8050.

Make sure the seller is not a 'scavenger' (picks up stuff at estate sales, flea markets, auctions, bankruptcies, etc.); best chance of getting a good one if the seller/owner is either a hi-fi repair engineer, or the original owner / non-smoker & audiophile.

We have one and I am wondering if it is any good?

I saw nothing on eBay, do any of you know about it?

Thanks!

Well if you have one and it works, why not hook it up your system and find out if it's any "good" to your ears. Ultimately, that's what it will boil down to. Then you will know if the unit hisses and is unacceptable, or sounds like the bee's knees.

Asking whether the unit in question is any good will get you different opinions. It's really no different than asking if chocolate ice cream is any good.

With the Kenwood, you may want to check the output of the speaker taps for DC leakage before hooking it up to a good pair of speakers.