Crossover Network for Custom Center Speaker

HarleyHacker

I just finished building a custom Center Channel Speaker to go with my La Scala Fronts in my HT. The Speaker consists of 3 parts. The Center Section contains a k-77-m and a k-55-m with K-401 Horn and is dimensioned after the HF section of a La Scala. On both sides of the center cabinet are K-24-Ks (Heresy II Woofers)in seperate Cabinets dimensioned similar to a Heresey II Cabinet. I have ALK networks in the La Scalas and and ALK for the Heresy in the Center Speaker. Should I be using a crossover for a La Scala instead of the one for a Heresy.

Thanks, Tim

You want the correct capacitor and coil values for the K-55M, and that would come from a La Scala type crossover, but you also want the correct values for the K-24-K which is a Heresy II woofer. You will need to build a custom crossover to properly run the drivers that you have chosen for your custom center. I am sure that you can use a Heresy or La Scala crossover as your starting point and modify it accordingly. The La Scala crossover can run the mids and highs and then just determine the cap/coil values used in the Heresy II to dial the woofers in.

You could have just used another La Scala laying on it side? That center sounds like it is one big mother anyway.

Frzninvt,

Thanks for the response. How can I get the Cap and inductor values for the K-24-K. Especially since I have 2 of them hooked up parallel. I know by reducing the resistance that lowers the crossover point but only for the woofer I don't know if it changes the Crossover freq for the squawker. BTW the size is not that big. The Woofer Cabs are 15 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 17"Deep. I made them deeper rather than tall or wide.

Tim

Since you are using 2 HII woofers, the whole thing has to be changed. I *think* the K-24 is also 94 dB/w/m, so 2 would net 97 dB and 1/2 the impedance. The L-77 runs at 105 dB and the K-55-M runs at 107 dB. The network must balance all 3 outputs, basically pull everything down to 97 dB/w/m. If the K-24 is actually 96 dB, add 3 more for 2.

I love seeing custom centers built. I am currently running a modified crossover based on the Drivers used:

2 Klipsch KV1089 Copper Metallic Woofers.

Electrovoice T35 (aka Klipsch K77) Horn Tweeter w/Alnico Magnets

Klipsch K52 Midrange driver w/ a 90x60 TriTrix Horn

Crossover is 3 way 2nd order(12db) w/ a 3 octave spread between crossover points.Metallized polypropylene are used in critical midrange and tweeter paths. 18 guage inductors are used to keep DC resistance to a minimum. Crossover points are 700/5600. 2 4" flared ports in the rear. Cabinet size is 42"w x 13.5"h x 15"d

You can go to the construction site to check it out

http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/Custom_Center.html